Windows Vista from XP - Worth it?

Kornowski

VIP Member
Hi guys,

I'm debating if I should get Vista or not, I currently have Windows XP home, it's 32bit (I think). I don't have a DX10 card, nor do I have any plans to get one soon, other than having DX10, is there anything else that it would be worth getting for.

Granted it looks amazing! but is it worth the up(down)grade?

munkyeetr

If your system is working fine for you and you aren't looking to get ready for DX10, then I wouldn't bother. Why waste the money?

Geoff

VIP Member
I wouldnt upgrade to it. I mean I have Vista Business that I got for free, but I still use XP. The only reason I would get Vista is for when DX10 games come out, but since you dont have a DX10 card, theres really no reason to switch, especially if you're a gamer.

Kornowski

VIP Member
It'd be a little more future proof wouldn't it?

Howcome you still use XP? Yeah, I do game a lot, so you think it would be better sticking with XP?

Geoff

VIP Member
It'd be a little more future proof wouldn't it?

Howcome you still use XP? Yeah, I do game a lot, so you think it would be better sticking with XP?

It would, but theres really no reason to upgrade yet. You might as well wait a few months, because you may end up hating it and going back to XP as well.

I used Vista for a month or so on my new build, and I liked being able to play Halo 2 on it. But I went back to XP because there was an issue with X-Fi and my mic not working correctly in CSS. I'm also just used to XP, and I like knowing how to do things a certain way, where as Vista I need to learn everything over again.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Well if you haven't read any of my vista posts, I hate it, it sucks don't upgrade. They made the whole UI impossible now. Simple things like networking are now a nightmare in windows.

To be fully honest too, MS also said no IE7 for XP and they released it. I wouldn't be too surprised if they flop and release DX10 for Windows XP

Kornowski

VIP Member
Well if you haven't read any of my vista posts, I hate it, it sucks don't upgrade. They made the whole UI impossible now. Simple things like networking are now a nightmare in windows.

To be fully honest too, MS also said no IE7 for XP and they released it. I wouldn't be too surprised if they flop and release DX10 for Windows XP

Nope, I haven't read any of them, is it really that bad?

Yeah, I read somewhere that somebody was working on getting it compatable with XP, so it may be released sometime soon, I don't think the person trying to get it to work on XP worked for MS though...

tlarkin

VIP Member
Yes when you completely rearrange the control panel, which is like the most vital part of configuring a computer it makes it tough. When you revamp windows explorer to not browse for files/network shares/workgroup comptuers/etc in the same manner it causes confusion. I have been using windows since 3.1 and for the most part most of the upgrades made sense. Vista is like windows ME in my mind, perhaps even worse.

PabloTeK

Bit of a horror story this is:

Ok, my laptop got replaced under warranty recently and the CPU is a Core Duo that runs at 1.86GHz, now one would think performance to mine should be pretty close. No, it runs more like the older Turion that it replaced and sometimes slower! Methinks if I can sway my dad XP will be on there. Plus the school's network is screwed up. on Vista.

PabloTeK

Well my school uses a proxy for the interweb, and because they use an RDPv5 connection to my area the laptop won't connect because it can't get past the proxy to connect to the internal connection, through the internet...

Geoff

VIP Member
networking with vista in general is a nightmare
Oh God, that reminds me when I had my wireless network setup with my laptop, and because I live in the country with no one else around, I dont have any security enabled. So Vista kept warning me that my network wasnt secure, talk about annoying.

tlarkin

VIP Member
SMB2 does not work with other platforms (Linux, OS X) with out modifying the registry. How freaking lame is that?

The security warnings make me so mad i want to kick a puppy in vista.

PC eye

banned
Gee? Everyone was initially thrilled to rush out and grab the Ultimate version. When not being able to grab one of the sold out copies at a pc show I went with the smaller price seen on the Home Version and run it as a "second OS" to get familiar with it. It will be some time before XP is replaced. Which version where you trying to network with Enterprise or Business? Eventually you may come across some tweaks that will help. Time will tell there.

tlarkin

VIP Member
My last venture was networking a Macbook (OS X 10.4.10) with a Dell PC (vista home basic) SMB would connect but when you authenticated it would reject the user/password every damn time. I even reset the passwords to blank passwords and it still rejected it every time.

Found link online with a few registry tweaks (or hacks) that fixes the problem. I think MS is trying to screw the open source SAMBA community with SMB2. Who knows?

PC eye

banned
That's the one problem now seen with Vista like trying to install it to a second partition to dual boot with XP. It wants the first only! When trying to dual with XP Pro the installer refused to copy files to the second primary I had planned for it. NADA! It replaced XP there. But in the new build it will go on as a totally separated OS where I simply press the F8 key at post to choose the drive to boot. Or should I say give Vista the boot. :p XP will still remain default here for the time being.

PC eye

banned
The Ultimate version has a hardware protection feature I was initially interested in. But the wait is on for updates for existing softwares, new Vista ready tv tuner cards, newer pc games that will also work with DX9 as well as 10 while many older games haven't seen any problems with Vista except the the initial wait for full version hardware drivers for Vista.

It does have better self maintainence tools over XP since they removed the recovery console. That makes it easier for newbies there. XP already does have it's SP2 however making that a good selling point. :p