Windows Vista from XP - Worth it?

PC eye

banned
The sidebar was reduced to a desktop shortcut here to get it out of the way. That was one way to retrieve the classic look over having a new tool bar covering one side of the desktop with shortcuts buried under it. That was simply disabled with the shortcut created later. The "eye candy" has been more of a selling point for the new version then anything else.

lovely?

true, but really, i really do believe the pros outweigh the cons in this case, but it rests entirely on point of view. i like change, even when that makes my system obsolete. some people are a little more hesitant to change, and then there are the ppl who are still into windows 98 lol.

tlarkin

VIP Member
hey now that i have vista, i can compare it to win xp. when i first started ib xp i thought the eye candy was nice but the system requirements were crazy, and it had ALOT of glitches. but come on cut microsoft some slack eh? vista will be the next big thing, and its GOING TO HAVE SOME MESS-UPS but so did every single operating system ever made before. people are always going to find ways NOT to like things, well, why dont people stop and think. 'you know, xp DIDNT look as good as vista, and vista has the side bar, which makes app launching and useful tools more manageable and clean, and the system requirements are high, but my computers only idling about 200MB higher then xp, which isnt bad, considering the eye candy, the side bar, the music gadget i have open, and firefox.'

It is that exact thought that makes them able to release a POS OS and still have everyone buy it. Maybe if their quality control went up a bit at MS they would just release a better product and people would still buy it.

Why do you think Apple is out selling everyone right now (as for the pretty much all of 2007 so far) in laptop sales? Its because vista runs like crap on a desktop, runs like crap x2 on a laptop.

Just because some people expect it to suck in the beginning doesn't mean it should.

PC eye

banned
The reason for Vista being used is simply to get familiar with the new version and it's differences. But you'll note that XP is still the primary OS used here with the post SP2 days now being enjoyed! As for Vista being a little more memory hungry the new build in the works will see 4gb of ram.

The amount of Vista ready programs and update patches for existing softwares for things like tuner cards is still non existant! Having just installed a new card at the end of 2006 the company came out with a tuner driver but no patch to see the software work on Vista. There's no new cards. That kind of gives you idea that they are "holding off" to see if Vista does become a sequel to ME.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's up to you really - I have Vista and it doesn't run any slower than XP did.

Vista seemed faster on my system than Xp at times,Booting was a little slower but thats expected of my system specs.

But im sticking with Xp on this system because i lost FPS in games under Vista.

patrickv

vista ran super booble when first installed, but as i loaded it up with apps (especially VMware) it turned out to be a snail, or a tortoise (whichever is slower..lol)

anyhows i'm sticking to XP and MAC for now

PC eye

banned
The time you will really notice the drag is when going to shut the system down or simply reboot. With only the essentials running it takes longer there then seen with XP with a ton of things added. XP definitely loads to the desktop faster as a rule anyways. That was an original selling point for that version of Windows along with the new product activation requirement that kept many running 98 or 2000 far longer.

jutnm

jsut go for it, vista is the greatest thing to me . no probs, still running good, hardware and software working good, found all the drivers i needed, and awesome aero things , sidebar, dreamscene, 3d flip, go for it , ur going to have to change to it in the future

tlarkin

VIP Member
we have put vista on a few laptops here at work to test our laptops "future compatibility" and to see how well vista works with our enterprise level wireless solution. When vista connected to our wireless network it knocked other wifi clients off. I am not quite sure what MS did to the TCP/IP stacks or the windows networking (SMB) but they did something.

Google shows that others have had this same problem

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=vista+kills+wifi+connection&btnG=Google+Search

PC eye

banned
Are you using the Enterprise version or Business? I assume at a large company that would be the corporate edition giving you headaches.