Windows wont boot after new board

HalfaMaster

Hello, 1° sorry if i am posting on the wrong zone...
My problem is: i bought a new motherboard (GIGABYTE GA-EP43-UD3L), and after changing it to my ATX box and turned the pc on, i was not able to go to the windows... i tryed the "repair windows" and it auto restarts, i tryed inseting the dvd of vista or 7 and it also auto restarting... and if i tell him to "go on last good configuration" he will also auto reboot, (for safe mode too). I have no idea what to do now :/
i tryed and staying a long time on the bios to see if the pc was just "auto rebooting because of a energy problem", but no... its only when it goes and does something with the "windows" hmm i cant even enter on the "formar or repair" zone of the Windows installer.

My cpu is a intel core 2 quad q8200
5830 1gb
550W power
4gb ram 800
HDD is a seagate 640gb
I use both mouse and keyboard via usb

The pc is not overclocked btw.
Maybe its the HDD that is crazy(i tryed to put him on a 3.5" box and check him via usb on a other pc and i was able to enter the disck and the files are all there hmm), or the northbridge of the motherboard.

Thank you in advanced :3

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You will have to reinstall windows fresh when you change the motherboard as you have all new hardware on the motherboard now.

JHM

banned
Johnb35 is right when he says you have to do a reinstall. Reason being different mobo, = different hardware, = different drivers.

If you are having trouble formatting your HDD to start over, I would try, going into the bios to set your CD drive as the first boot device, and have your windows disk inserted when you do that. On reboot if it boots from the CD then you should be able to format your "C" drive. If that doesn't work, then set the boot priority to "A" drive and use a WIN98-SE boot disk, (Floppy), to format "C". The format will wind up being FAT32; but that doesn't matter since after that you set your first boot drive in the bios back to the CD drive and with the Windisk for the OS you are using you will be able to reformat "C".

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Johnb35 is right when he says you have to do a reinstall. Reason being different mobo, = different hardware, = different drivers.

If you are having trouble formatting your HDD to start over, I would try, going into the bios to set your CD drive as the first boot device, and have your windows disk inserted when you do that. On reboot if it boots from the CD then you should be able to format your "C" drive. If that doesn't work, then set the boot priority to "A" drive and use a WIN98-SE boot disk, (Floppy), to format "C". The format will wind up being FAT32; but that doesn't matter since after that you set your first boot drive in the bios back to the CD drive and with the Windisk for the OS you are using you will be able to reformat "C".

You keep bringing back windows 98 and using a startup disk.... You do realize that in todays day and age 95 percent of computers bought in the last 5 years or so didn't come with a floppy drive.

Basically all you need is the hard drive manufacturers hard drive utility to format the drive which can be placed on a cdrom and boot to it.

HalfaMaster

Thank you sooo much for the quick reply guys :)
If you are having trouble formatting your HDD to start over, I would try, going into the bios to set your CD drive as the first boot device, and have your windows disk inserted when you do that.

It goes to the "load windows setup files (you know, with the black back ground and white proces bar) and when gets 100% and changes to the setup puff he auto reboots. hmmm

HalfaMaster

Now i tryed to install XP and after the "loading setup files" part (with the blue screen, 1° phase), he reboots like all do and then i go to XP logo... he loads and when i see the mouse he reboots... again.. :/ hmm

JHM

banned
Hmmm, Well Johnb35, is again right when he says that most computers these days don't have floppies, but I make it a point to put them in mine. Why ? Well most bios updates run from a floppy, and so does "TESTHDD". Then again so does "FDISK" and most "Low Level Formatting" programs.

I LIKE "TESTHDD" because it is much better for testing HDDs than any other program I have seen. I once bought a used Seagate drive that passed Scandisk with no bad sectors, and also passed "TESTHDD" with no bad sectors, BUT; checking the graph in "TESTHDD", I found that the entire front third of that Seagate was damaged to the point where it was almost bad sectors. i.e. the sectors were still readable, but just barely so. I returned it to the store where I bought it, taking in photos of the graph, and got my money back.

Apart from that, OSs are setup so that "Floppies" are the most basic input source. When all else fails, one can use them to clear partitions, format, etc. I use Mitsumi floppies, because they come with built in card readers, so you get something extra in the bay. As for WIN98-SE, try and set your HDDs as being "Removable" with XP, or for that matter try and run "Discus Medium" as a captioning font on pictures using Corel Photopaint under XP. -- IMPOSSIBLE!!

Back to HalfaMaster's problem. Assuming you don't have a floppy drive, then try Johnb35's suggestion of downloading the HDD manufacturer's HDD utility and burn it to a CDROM, then format your drive with that. Big difference being, if you have a floppy, and a 98 startup disk, you can do it all with your own machine. Otherwise, you will need access to another computer to download the utility and burn it to a CDROM.

Last edited:

HalfaMaster

I tryed now using 2 diferent IDE hard drives and 1 Sata, and all did the same... reboot after logo hmm
So, i assume its something on the .. bios?

JHM

banned
Try clearing the bios, then do that last set of tests over. Also check in the bios which HDD is set as primary, and what boot device is set as first.

Last edited:

HalfaMaster

Try clearing the bios, then do that last set of tests over. Also check in the bios which HDD is set as primary, and what boot device is set as first.

Done and nothing new :/
This is very strange....
EDIT:
I tryed now to go on "safe mode" because he was not going to the setup zone, and when i saw the mouse and a box giving me an error 2 sec later i got a BSOD with:
Driver_irql_not_less_or_equal
and on the end was:
dmboot.sys - Adrdress F7394A52 base at F72D5000, DateStamp 4802459d

Last edited:

Dngrsone

VIP Member
Have you tested your memory?

Also, make sure your drive cables are well-seated.

Oh, and disconnect any unnecessary USB devices until after you finish installing Windows. i have banged my head on the desk more than a couple times because a mouse or other peripheral was interfering with an install.

HalfaMaster

Have you tested your memory?

Also, make sure your drive cables are well-seated.

Oh, and disconnect any unnecessary USB devices until after you finish installing Windows. i have banged my head on the desk more than a couple times because a mouse or other peripheral was interfering with an install.

This morning i tested the memory and it was ok, i only have the keyboard conected now and it keeps rebooting.
Edit: i even tryed going without any of them and same thing.

JHM

banned
You apparently have an IRQ, (Interrupt Request), or memory assignment, (dmboot.sys - Adrdress F7394A52 base at F72D5000), conflict. What you are going to have to do is first simplify, disconnect everything that doesn't have to be connected, and try using the step by step safe mode, to see if you can get a good look at what is using what IRQ. Memory assignments are trickier, to check those you are somehow going to have to get "Windopes" installed.

If you have the appropriate ports on your mobo, you could try using a PS2 mouse and keyboard.

Last edited:

HalfaMaster

How can i enter on safe mode "step by step"?
Btw i tryed removing the batery of the bios for 30 min to see if it was that.. but no :/

JHM

banned
OK, first lets determine exactly what we are working with here. 1) What OS are you running on this thing ? 2) You say you tried both SATA and IDE drives on it, did you check the bios settings when you did so ?

Different OSs require different bios settings for SATA drives. WinXP does not support AHCI mode and if using XP that must be disabled. Again for XP you enable "Native Mode", at least thats what my bios calls it. Win 7 & Vista you enable AHCI Mode, and disable "Native Mode".

If that was your problem, should be better once you set things properly. If not, exactly what hardware are you using ? I have encountered situations before where a video card was using the same Memory Assignments as critical system parts, and that too causes problems. The way to get around that is to change conflicting memory assignments, but you have to get into "Windopes" to do that. To do that, if you are using a PCI Express video card, take it out and substitute a pci video card, and see if that enables you to load "Windopes".

Re Safe Mode, you can use the Command Line option to get a look at some of what is happening in there, and alternately you can also use the Boot dump, (I think it said) to try and get more info about what is happening.

Re IRQs, right after the memory test and device recognition parts of the boot there is a screen showing what IRQs are being used by what. If you press the Pause/Break key while that screen is up, you can get a good look at your IRQs.

One other detail. Some mobos require that you clear the bios every time there is a hardware change. Yours might be one of them.

Last edited:

HalfaMaster

I tryed windows vista and XP.

IRQ list:
USB 1.1 Host Cntrlr 10
USB 1.1 Host Cntrlr 10
USB 1.1 Host Cntrlr 11
Multimedia Device 3
USB 1.1 Host Cntrlr 9
USB 1.1 Host Cntrlr 11
USB 1.1 Host Cntrlr 11
USB 2.0 Host Cntrlr 9
IDE Cntrlr 14
SMBus Sntrlr 11
Native IDE Cntrlr 11
Display Cntrlr 10
Multimedia Device 5
Native IDE Cntrlr 10
Network Cntrlr 5
ACPI Controller 9

Do you guys think its from my power suply? It haves no brand at all... its one of those crapy ones 550w lol :/ (17€). A friend told me that.

Last edited:

JHM

banned
OK, Now questions : 1) What "Multimedia Devices" do you have connected ? Are we talking a sound card here ? Or is it on board sound ? For the time being, if it is a sound card, remove it from the machine; and if it is onboard sound, disable it. WHY ? Because it might be causing an IRQ conflict.
2) What are you using for video ? Is it a separate card ? Or is it onboard video ?

The reason I ask this is because I have found in past that running an AMD processor, (In my case K6-3+), on an ASUS board, (In my case P5A-B), with an ATI video card, (In my case a Radeon 7500 AIW), and a Creative Soundblaster Audigy card, I got IRQ conflicts from the Audigy card, and memory conflicts from the ATI card. That is why you have to simplify, (i.e. disable or remove any unnecessary hardware), until you get this sorted out.

Incidentally there is someone else with the same problem posting in the Operating Systems section.
Am working on the IRQ issue, but gotta go to bed now for work tomorrow.

Okedokey

Uninstall all hardware that is not essential!! I mean min ram, min hard drives etc etc.

Connect NOTHING you don't need.

If you reset the CMOS, the IRQ issue shouldn't be a worry.

Ensure you have the latest bios for your mobo too.

HalfaMaster

OK, Now questions : 1) What "Multimedia Devices" do you have connected ? Are we talking a sound card here ? Or is it on board sound ? For the time being, if it is a sound card, remove it from the machine; and if it is onboard sound, disable it. WHY ? Because it might be causing an IRQ conflict.
2) What are you using for video ? Is it a separate card ? Or is it onboard video ?

Thank you for the reply again
The multimedia device was maybe a new board that i was testing ( http://www.ylmart.com/isa-pci-analyzer-diagnostic-pc-test-card-4-digits-post-code.html ), gave me the code 25, 26. I am using onboard sound and the video its my powercolor 5830 1gb with it uses 2 of those 6 power pins, i need to use this card because the board doesnt come with onboard video lol.

I will disable onboard sound when i get home then.

Uninstall all hardware that is not essential!! I mean min ram, min hard drives etc etc.

Thank you also for your reply :)
I allready had removed allmost everything (one time i was only with hdd, video 1 memory and cpu) and nothing new.

If you reset the CMOS, the IRQ issue shouldn't be a worry.

Hmm sorry for asking, but how do i reser that? Atm i am at work but i dont remenber that option.

Ensure you have the latest bios for your mobo too.

When i get at home i will go to the gigabyte website and download the last one. One question, there are lots of versions, one repairs X problem and other Y problem, if i download the latest one will it also correct the problems from the old versions too?

example from the website:

Download Version Date Description

Download ... F9 2010/04/22
Support On/Off Charge function
(Note) Please download GIGABYTE On/Off Charge from "Utility" link page

Download ... F8 2010/02/09
Enhanced Memory capability

Download ... F7 2009/11/24
Support EuP Lot 6 function (for rev 1.1 only)

Download ... F6 2009/08/31
Improve CPU compatibility

Download ... F5 2009/08/13
Improve memory compatibilities.

Etc etc etc

Since no one replyed to my other question, i will ask again, you guys thing its from the power suply? its a very crapy one, it was arround 17€ or something 550w >_>

Sorry for the long post :)

JHM

banned
Nope, Its your video card. Power Colour is tha same as ATI. You are using ATI on an ASUS board = trouble. They can be made to work but they will assign conflicting memory areas.