Windows wont boot after new board

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You are using ATI on an ASUS board = trouble. They can be made to work but they will assign conflicting memory areas.

A lot of people here have ATI video cards with Asus boards and have no issues. I have 2 here at home with Asus motherboards and ATI video cards.

If the OP still hasn't reinstalled windows since changing the motherboard, then he needs to.

And also, if the power supply you are using is cheap then you should get a decent brand with good ratings. the power supply is the backbone of your system, if it goes, it could take the rest of the system along with it.

Last edited:

HalfaMaster

Nope, Its your video card. Power Colour is tha same as ATI. You are using ATI on an ASUS board = trouble. They can be made to work but they will assign conflicting memory areas.

But its a gigabyte motherboard. Hmmm maybe i should ask someone to borrow me a card for a day.

FuryRosewood

A lot of people here have ATI video cards with Asus boards and have no issues. I have 2 here at home with Asus motherboards and ATI video cards.

If the OP still hasn't reinstalled windows since changing the motherboard, then he needs to.

And also, if the power supply you are using is cheap then you should get a decent brand with good ratings. the power supply is the backbone of your system, if it goes, it could take the rest of the system along with it.

^+1 I havent heard if the OP has reinstalled....all i know is hes switched hdds out...

have you done a fresh install of windows?

HalfaMaster

I allready tryed lots of times, but when he finishes "puting the setup files on the disk" and goes to the part where i see the mouse etc he resets (xp) and on vista after he loads the big white bar and goes also to the part with colored background, mouse etc, he resets allways :/ .

JHM

banned
Sorry wrong about the board, its a "Giggle Bite"; but it is not a power supply issue, except for the possibility that you don't have the power to the card connected properly, (I think they have more than 2 wires in their power plugs, but I'd have to take my machine apart to look). Power supplies have nothing to do with IRQs and memory conflicts. (NOTE : I am also using a Giggle Bite board with a Power Colour Radeon 4850 1 Gig PCI Express card, so the setup should be similar).

Depending on what kind of plug is on your monitor cord, if you have one of the old 15 pin plugs, as opposed to one of the newer ones, (See photo below)

vcplugs.jpg

Then I would reccommend that you get ahold of an old PCI video card, (Pick one up for about $4.00), and install it in one of your PCI slots, and hook your monitor up to it to install "Windopes". Once you have Windopes up and running we can figure out what the conflicts are.

And here are the IRQs that my machine, (Intel Q6600 2.4 GHz Quadcore, on a "Giggle Bite" board, with a "Power Colour Radeon 4850 w/ 1 Gig Memory" is running :

irq1280.png

I think yours should be able to run pretty much the same IRQs. They are both "Giggle Bite" boards, and both "1 Gig Power Colour PCI Express Cards". So if all else fails you could try resetting your IRQs to see if that resolves that problem.

Last edited:

HalfaMaster

Sorry wrong about the board, its a "Giggle Bite"; but it is not a power supply issue, except for the possibility that you don't have the power to the card connected properly, (I think they have more than 2 wires in their power plugs, but I'd have to take my machine apart to look). Power supplies have nothing to do with IRQs and memory conflicts. (NOTE : I am also using a Giggle Bite board with a Power Colour Radeon 4850 1 Gig PCI Express card, so the setup should be similar).

Depending on what kind of plug is on your monitor cord, if you have one of the old 15 pin plugs, as opposed to one of the newer ones, (See photo below)

vcplugs.jpg

Then I would reccommend that you get ahold of an old PCI video card, (Pick one up for about $4.00), and install it in one of your PCI slots, and hook your monitor up to it to install "Windopes". Once you have Windopes up and running we can figure out what the conflicts are.

And here are the IRQs that my machine, (Intel Q6600 2.4 GHz Quadcore, on a "Giggle Bite" board, with a "Power Colour Radeon 4850 w/ 1 Gig Memory" is running :

irq1280.png

I think yours should be able to run pretty much the same IRQs. They are both "Giggle Bite" boards, and both "1 Gig Power Colour PCI Express Cards". So if all else fails you could try resetting your IRQs to see if that resolves that problem.

Thank you so much for all that info :), just one silly question, how can i reset the IRQ :3 ?

Btw i found the bios version: F9 and the version of the board is 1.1 (the bios seems to be the leatest one)
And before to work i tryed disabling onboard thing(not sure amt wich one, i will check later) and i disconected the dvd and i was able to go to the instalation part of xp! but since he asked me the cd i had to restart and when i tryed again it had the old problem again argh... i will need to see wich thing disabled and maybe i will try disabling every onboard crap... :)

Last edited:

JHM

banned
1) Yeah, the F9 is the latest bios.
2) On my board, (pretty useless, -- Giggle, Giggle, BITE, BITE !!), the only IRQs that can be reset through the bios are the ones for the PCI slots.
3) Waiting to see how it goes re disabling crap.
4) If that don't work, I say again, pick up a PCI video card, - doesn't have to be fancy, 2Meg or 4Meg card will work fine for what we want, - which is to get Windopes installed so you can check for conflicts.
5) I have actually had some boards where they would not boot from an AGP card, unless you installed a PCI card first to get it to boot the first time.

HalfaMaster

1) Yeah, the F9 is the latest bios.
2) On my board, (pretty useless, -- Giggle, Giggle, BITE, BITE !!), the only IRQs that can be reset through the bios are the ones for the PCI slots.
3) Waiting to see how it goes re disabling crap.
4) If that don't work, I say again, pick up a PCI video card, - doesn't have to be fancy, 2Meg or 4Meg card will work fine for what we want, - which is to get Windopes installed so you can check for conflicts.
5) I have actually had some boards where they would not boot from an AGP card, unless you installed a PCI card first to get it to boot the first time.
1) >_>
2) will test that later when i get at home
3) disabled all and nothing
4) i think today i will have the other video card (or maximum tomorrow)
5) wow :/
and ty again for the reply :D

HalfaMaster

I tested with a new graphic card and nothing.. with anew power suply and nothing.. grrr.. maybe i should just give the board back while i have time lol (14 days i think)

JHM

banned
Hmm.
1) Was that a PCI graphics card you used ? or was it PCI express ?
2) Did you clear the bios after you installled the new card ?
3) If it was a PCI graphics card, and you cleared the bios after you installed it before you tried to boot then apart from returning the mobo, the only other thing I can suggest is try disconnecting your CDROM drive again. You got it to boot once so you should be able to again. If it goes with the CDROM drive disconnected then if it is an IDE type drive, try replacing the cable.
4) Would also help if you described exactly what you have in it. e.g. How many HDDs, and what kind - SATA or IDE. How many CD Drives, and what kind, SATA or IDE, do any 2 drives share the same cable ? (IDE). If so, is one set as master and one set as slave? etc.

Last edited:

StrangleHold

Staff member
When you swapped the boards out, you did make sure the standoffs are in the right places?

You do have the 4 pin CPU power connector plugged in. Some boards will boot without it, but any pull/load on the CPU wil cause it to restart?

Check in the bios and see what the CPU voltage is set at.

You have got alot of run around in this thread. Since you checked the Memory/Power Supply and Card. If all of the above checks out ok with the standoffs and power plug. My guess is you have a bad board. Before you run out of time return for a different or exchange for another board.

JHM

banned
If you bothered to read the thread, he got the following message on a BSOD :

Driver_irql_not_less_or_equal

dmboot.sys - Adrdress F7394A52 base at F72D5000, DateStamp 4802459d

Which would suggest a memory or IRQ conflict. Someone else has posted in the OS section that they are getting the same message.though less consistantly. See :

http://www.computerforum.com/187218-driver-irql-not-less-equal-bsod.html

I had to get Microsoft Support to help me to resolve a memory conflict caused by using an AMD processor and an ATI AGP card on an ASUS board which resulted in the AGP card using a section of memory which was reserved by ASUS for some critical system component.

Runaround ?

The major problem here is lack of information.

StrangleHold

Staff member
This morning i tested the memory and it was ok, i only have the keyboard conected now and it keeps rebooting.

If you bothered to read the thread, he got the following message on a BSOD :

Driver_irql_not_less_or_equal

dmboot.sys - Adrdress F7394A52 base at F72D5000, DateStamp 4802459d

Which would suggest a memory or IRQ conflict. Someone else has posted in the OS section that they are getting the same message.though less consistantly.

I had to get Microsoft Support to help me.

Almost hilarious.

to resolve a memory conflict caused by using an AMD processor and an ATI AGP card on an ASUS board which resulted in the AGP card using a section of memory which was reserved by ASUS for some critical system component.

Runaround ?

The major problem here is lack of information.

Yeah, lack on information.

This is not a AMD processor. It has a Intel chipset, not a AMD or Nvidia. And its not a AGP card. And the PCIe Card is not using a IRQ that has it hung up.

FuryRosewood

im wondering if its a memory problem...i tended to get that error when i was having memory problems...has memtest at the very least been ran on this system to ensure he isnt chasing his tail and isnt having bad ram? also what is the specs to this machine...maybe there is something obvious that isnt being shown that would be made easier to be seen with a list of parts...

JHM

banned
Yeah, lack of information is a major problem here. He has not posted his bios settings. He did say that he tested the memory, but did not say how. He also said he had gotten a new video card, but did NOT say what kind; only that it didn't work either.

I reccommended that he pick up an old PCI video card, (Computer shops throw them away these days, so they cost next to nothing), because PCI cards use FAR less system resources than the newer cards do, and if he is getting a memory assignment conflict, booting from a PCI video card vastly reduces the chances of getting a memory conflict; - BUT I suspect that he went and got another PCI Express card.

Memory conflicts can only be resolved through Windopes. You have to get into Windopes, and find out what the conflict is; and there is a very complicated proceedure to change memory assignments so they don't conflict. I learned said proceedure from MS support; and frankly I doubt if anyone else posting to this thread knows anything about memory conflicts. They arn't all that common.

Halfamaster said this : "And before to work i tryed disabling onboard thing(not sure amt wich one, i will check later) and i disconected the dvd and i was able to go to the instalation part of xp!"

So it might be that your DVD drive has a memory assignment that is conflicting with something else. Try to understand, where there are memory conflicts, NONE of the hardware is defective. It is just a case of two different items trying to use the same block of memory. What you have to do is disable one of them in order to get into "Windopes" and change one of those two memory assignments.

The only other way to resolve memory conflicts is to permanently remove the hardware device that is causing them.

Last edited:

HalfaMaster

Ok, sorry for posting so late... i went to a cpmputer shop and we made lots of tests (changed CPU´s, memorys, video cards, reset everyting we could, etcetc) and we found out that my CPU doesnt work on that board! Even tho that Gigabyte says it does... we tested other very similars cpus on the board and it worked... and mine on other board and also worked... ....
Conclusion, i am going to give the stupid board back. I hate when the companys give us false information!

Anyway... Thank you so much people for trying helping me! :) /cyber hug

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Glad you finally figured it out. Usually taking it to a computer repair shop is the easiest way to figure out whats wrong as normally a regular user isn't gonna have extra parts laying around to test. I knew it had to be some sort of hardware failure but I've never heard of one processor not working in a board like that, especially since that processor was supported from the first bios version.

You may want to try updating the bios to version f2 as maybe that will allow it to work.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Glad you got it working. It could have had the CPU voltage set to low by default. When any kind of load was applied (restart).

JHM

banned
So it was a conflict. His processor works in other boards, and other processors work in his board, NOTHING was defective, but rather incompatible because of a conflict.

I wonder if they tried using a different CD/DVD drive to put the Windopes disk in, that might have worked, or it might have been the processor was conflicting with the mobo; in which case there was no solution except to permanently remove the conflicting device.

Re voltage, that is tricky too, because these modern processors don't run at a fixed voltage. They are designed to conserve power by stepping down the voltage when there is little load on the processor; and stepping the voltage up when the load increases; so their voltage varies a fair bit.

I have never encountered a memory conflict under WINXP, just under 98SE; but there is a proceedure for changing memory assignments for hardware under 98SE, and no doubt there is also one in XP.