Windows XP Recovery without deleting partition?

jashan17

Well. ok. I decided to format my computer because it was going really slow...So i got paragon partition manager and created a logical partition called "backup" and dragged all my important files into that partition. then i used killdisk to format my C: partition. So i now have no windows installed on my secondary partition since i formatted my primary partition. Now i use my recovery disk and it says " All files, including data files on the user partition will be lost and the original factory shipped files will will be recovered to the users partition., OK?" Will this delete my backup partition too? If it does, how do i recover windows while keeping my partition with the backup files on it? The files are reallly important...

oscaryu1

VIP Member
When doing that there should be 2 boxes, one with your stuff, one with nothing. Install on the "nothing" one and you should be good.

jashan17

When doing that there should be 2 boxes, one with your stuff, one with nothing. Install on the "nothing" one and you should be good.

Can you further explain please?? i am using my gateway operating system recovery disc not the original Windows XP one.

Last edited:

oscaryu1

VIP Member
boot from the disk, and it should load an bunch of stuff, go through all that stuff, and get to the partitino part, select the one that is "unpartitioned" or RAW and install it on that one.

jashan17

boot from the disk, and it should load an bunch of stuff, go through all that stuff, and get to the partitino part, select the one that is "unpartitioned" or RAW and install it on that one.

It doesnt load a bunch of stuff,it boots from the disk, then it says " All files, including data files on the user partition will be lost and the original factory shipped files will will be recovered to the users partition." and it says 'OK?' no other choice. im afraid that if i choose ok, it will delete all my really important files on the logical partition.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
My old computer (Sony Vaio) has a similar recovery disk. Essentially, you're recovering the computer to it's factory condition (as you probably know). If your computer came shipped with only one partition, then your new partition may be deleted. Consider backing up your data on to some DVD's. I know, it's a tedious process. Fortunately, with the Vaio, you get the option to recover only the C: partition, leaving other partitions in tact.

jashan17

My old computer (Sony Vaio) has a similar recovery disk. Essentially, you're recovering the computer to it's factory condition (as you probably know). If your computer came shipped with only one partition, then your new partition may be deleted. Consider backing up your data on to some DVD's. I know, it's a tedious process. Fortunately, with the Vaio, you get the option to recover only the C: partition, leaving other partitions in tact.

Well you see, i pretty much deleted the C: partition i think, and i cannot backup the data onto dvds because i already formatted the computer leaving the computer with only one partition without an operating system on it..Right now i am on a laptop.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Well you see, i pretty much deleted the C: partition i think, and i cannot backup the data onto dvds because i already formatted the computer leaving the computer with only one partition without an operating system on it..Right now i am on a laptop.

Ohh...I see. That sucks! :mad: Are you sure your recovery disk gives you only one option - any "Advanced Options," for example?

I suspect that the recovery disk will need to delete your logical partition in order to recover the HD to its factory condition. You may be able to use an Ubuntu (Linux) distribution to burn your files. Are you familiar with Linux? It's easy to install. Basically, you need access to an OS. Ubuntu is free, and pretty easy to use.

jashan17

I just want to know if " All files, including data files on the user partition will be lost and the original factory shipped files will will be recovered to the users partition." means that my backup partition(not C: drive) will be deleted when this happens, on killdisk it says it is not active but is a primary.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
I just want to know if " All files, including data files on the user partition will be lost and the original factory shipped files will will be recovered to the users partition." means that my backup partition(not C: drive) will be deleted when this happens, on killdisk it says it is not active but is a primary.

Right. I understand your situation. Honestly, I don't know. "Users partition" leads me to believe that your backup partition may be left in tact. The recovery disk might ignore (leave alone) all other partitions, and simply re-install and recreate the C: drive. Have you tried looking at your computer's support page on the Gateway website?

jashan17

Ohh...I see. That sucks! :mad: Are you sure your recovery disk gives you only one option - any "Advanced Options," for example?

I suspect that the recovery disk will need to delete your logical partition in order to recover the HD to its factory condition. You may be able to use an Ubuntu (Linux) distribution to burn your files. Are you familiar with Linux? It's easy to install. Basically, you need access to an OS. Ubuntu is free, and pretty easy to use.

thanks, im downloading ubuntu right now. Thanks, i wll see if it will work,

jashan17

Right. I understand your situation. Honestly, I don't know. "Users partition" leads me to believe that your backup partition may be left in tact. The recovery disk might ignore (leave alone) all other partitions, and simply re-install and recreate the C: drive. Have you tried looking at your computer's support page on the Gateway website?

Right, thats what i waas thinking too, but i will have to be a 100% sure, because the files are important, like 45 gigs of importance lol.. I will see on the gateway support page now.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Right, thats what i waas thinking too, but i will have to be a 100% sure, because the files are important, like 45 gigs of importance lol.. I will see on the gateway support page now.

See if you can chat with a support person. Sony's chat/tech support is okay.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
do u know if i can just install linux onto a seperate partition leaving the backup one untouched?

Yes, you will. When installing, you will be directed to a screen that will show you your partitions. You should see an NTFS partition. Leave that alone - that's your backup. You will see another option, probably labled "unallocated space." You need to format that space into an "ext2" partition, I believe. In addition, you have to create a "swap" partition. Make this partition around 2 1/2 times the size of the installed RAM you have on this computer. For example, if you have 1GB RAM, then make your swap partition 2.5GB. Have fun! :rolleyes:

jashan17

so from linux i can then download windows onto another partition within linux, and then maybe delete the partition that linux is on?? and how would i go about doing that>?

Last edited:

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
so from linux i can then download windows onto another partition within linux, and then maybe delete the partition that linux is on?? and how would i go about doing that>?

No. From Linux, you want to try and burn the data fron your partition to DVD disks. However, 40+ gigs is a lot! :eek: It would take awhile - if you can.

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
Do you have another computer you can hook that hard drive to? then you can copy those files to that computer, then you could burn to a disk or flash drive or whatever. Or if your on a wireless network you could put them in the share folder so that you can copy them back on this computer... sounds complicating i know... lol

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Or if your on a wireless network you could put them in the share folder so that you can copy them back on this computer... sounds complicating i know... lol

That's another idea. If you successfully install Ubuntu, you can attempt to network you laptop with the Gateway. Of course, you need a router, and your laptop needs to have wireless functionality. :(