Windows XP Recovery without deleting partition?

jashan17

Do you have another computer you can hook that hard drive to? then you can copy those files to that computer, then you could burn to a disk or flash drive or whatever. Or if your on a wireless network you could put them in the share folder so that you can copy them back on this computer... sounds complicating i know... lol

I know what you're saying, but i only have a laptop. The thing is, i just want to know that if i sstart up my gateway recovery, will it delete my backup partition...if someone knows please reply... I think it will just create a C: Drive without touching anything else but i am not 100% sure, especially with such important files. I dont want to burn off 45 gigs of files either lol. i usually just burn off the files before i format (formatted twice in the past), and then just wipe my whole hard drive, but this time i decided i could put all the files on a sepereate partition just to save a lot of time...Im sure there is a way to just create a C: partition and install windows on it, but i just dont exactly know what to do....Actually i think the C: drive still exists on my computer but there is no data on it at all since i formatted the partition.

jashan17

That's another idea. If you successfully install Ubuntu, you can attempt to network you laptop with the Gateway. Of course, you need a router, and your laptop needs to have wireless functionality. :(

Thats a pretty good idea, but i would need a lot of space on my laptop, but i only have around 35 gigs free and its my dads, lol. Also i think the factory settings of partitions are to create a C: and a D: drive if im not mistaken.... unless that was put there by someone else and not gateway lol.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
The thing is, i just want to know that if i sstart up my gateway recovery, will it delete my backup partition

Did you contact Gateway? Contacting Gateway may be the only way to find an answer to this question. Check out the support page.

Last edited:

jashan17

Thanks for all your help, im on ubuntu right now but i still need to 'install' it, im running it from the disc. How should i partition it so that i can leave the backup partition untouched in ubuntu and just install ubuntu?

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for all your help, im on ubuntu right now but i still need to 'install' it, im running it from the disc. How should i partition it so that i can leave the backup partition untouched in ubuntu and just install ubuntu?

Yes, you will. When installing, you will be directed to a screen that will show you your partitions. You should see an NTFS partition. Leave that alone - that's your backup. You will see another option, probably labled "unallocated space." You need to format that space into an "ext2" partition, I believe. In addition, you have to create a "swap" partition. Make this partition around 2 1/2 times the size of the installed RAM you have on this computer. For example, if you have 1GB RAM, then make your swap partition 2.5GB. Have fun! :rolleyes:

That's how. You may see an option to create a "New" partition (not sure, it's been awhile). If you do, select that option. Remember, you need to format the partition as "ext2." You'll also need a "swap" partition, as explained above.

Last edited:

jashan17

someone else in the ubuntu forum said that it should be an ext3 partition and a swap partition....

Anyway this is what the final result looks like

Language: English
Keyboard layout: U.S. English
Name: Jashan Makan
Login name: jashan
Migration Assistant:

If you continue, the changes listed below will be written to the disks.
Otherwise, you will be able to make further changes manually.

WARNING: This will destroy all data on any partitions you have removed as
well as on the partitions that are going to be formatted.

The partition tables of the following devices are changed:
IDE1 master (hda)

The following partitions are going to be formatted:
partition #7 of IDE1 master (hda) as ext3
partition #8 of IDE1 master (hda) as ext3
partition #6 of IDE1 master (hda) as swap

Is that good? my partition 5 was my backup and the guy in the ubuntu forum said to make one ext3 partition iin /home and one in /(root) ...

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
someone else in the ubuntu forum said that it should be an ext3 partition and a swap partition....

Anyway this is what the final result looks like

Language: English
Keyboard layout: U.S. English
Name: Jashan Makan
Login name: jashan
Migration Assistant:

If you continue, the changes listed below will be written to the disks.
Otherwise, you will be able to make further changes manually.

WARNING: This will destroy all data on any partitions you have removed as
well as on the partitions that are going to be formatted.

The partition tables of the following devices are changed:
IDE1 master (hda)

The following partitions are going to be formatted:
partition #7 of IDE1 master (hda) as ext3
partition #8 of IDE1 master (hda) as ext3
partition #6 of IDE1 master (hda) as swap

Is that good? my partition 5 was my backup and the guy in the ubuntu forum said to make one ext3 partition iin /home and one in /(root) ...

Yes, ext3...that's right...sorry. :eek: I'm not sure why the Linux guy is suggesting a /home partition, but go with it. He probably knows more than me. :D