wiping hard drive and start again

elly

my computer wont start not even in safe mode or any of the others.can someone tell me how to wipe the hard drive and start again i know i will lose everthing but if it stops me paying someone to look at it then it will be worth it thankyou

Ambushed

Hi,

firsty is your computer actually booting? (Does it make sound and do the lights IF any light up?)
If it does boot up does it beep? (Single beep)

Sorry about the questions, we need to know the basics before we can find a cure to this problem.

AMD Fanboy

What happened Elly? You had a Partition and then something went wrong. Was it something that was related to your earlier thread?

elly

yes it goes to the screen that gives start windows normally/safe mode and the others but it wont let me do any of them it just returns back to them and yes it dose beep like it dose when windows start

AMD Fanboy

Looks like you need some RECOVERY CONSOLE action. Pop that windows CD in and let it boot from it. When it gets to the Menu Screen that tells you to install windows or repair using Recovery Console, select the latter. At the command prompt type FIXBOOT. If that doesn't work, Repeat and instead type FIXMBR. that should take care of your Boot Problem.

elly

Don't tell me that he done the old' "Mark partition as active trick".

my partner put a registry program in and updated windows xp sp3 worked for 2 days and then stopped he got into safe mode and took it back a few days and now we carnt do anything with it not even the safe mode or ay of the others

elly

Looks like you need some RECOVERY CONSOLE action. Pop that windows CD in and let it boot from it. When it gets to the Menu Screen that tells you to install windows or repair using Recovery Console, select the latter. At the command prompt type FIXBOOT. If that doesn't work, Repeat and instead type FIXMBR. that should take care of your Boot Problem.

i have already tried that but its asking for admin password which we dont no as the puter is user built

AMD Fanboy

I don't see how the Recovery Console would ask for an administrator Password. At Least i don't recall any passwords being needed. all of this should occur BEFORE you do any logging into windows.

elly

I don't see how the Recovery Console would ask for an administrator Password. At Least i don't recall any passwords being needed. all of this should occur BEFORE you do any logging into windows.

i dont recall putting any passwords in not even when we start windows

elly

if i just reinstall windows will it cancell out the old windows or will it just take up more space or if i go and buy new hard drive will i have to reinstall windows and is it easy to install thanks

Last edited:

AMD Fanboy

You can reinstall if you want to.......... Just remember to have all of the appropriate Drivers Ready. If you don't, your Hardware won't work correctly. You'll need these Drivers:

Audio
Chipset
Video
Lan

elly

You can reinstall if you want to.......... Just remember to have all of the appropriate Drivers Ready. If you don't, your Hardware won't work correctly. You'll need these Drivers:

Audio
Chipset
Video
Lan

?????? is that for a new hard drive or is that to reinstall windows and were do get them (i know im thick lol) thanks

AMD Fanboy

You can get those Drivers from the Support Section of the Motherboard Manufacturer's website. Make sure you have your EXACT Motherboard Selected and know what Operating System you're Using. Those are Important.

elly

ok i will forget installing hard drive and reinstall windows instead but will this wipe the old windows out or will it just take up more space and thankyou very much for your help

elly

jus phoned someone else they going to wipe puter clean and reinstall windows and everything else for £40 thankyou any way for trying to help

Kesava

40 pounds? that seems very expensive...
why arent you doing it yourself?
As amd fanboy said you just have to make sure you have the drivers so you can insall it all again...

all the drivers should be on the cd that came with your motherboard... apart from ones for your graphics card. if you dont have a graphics card then those drivers will be on the CD too