Wireless and Wired routers connected together?

Da Mail Man

Greetings All,

The reason is NOT relevant for the question so please don't ask.

1)....I have broad-band internet into a typical non-wireless cable modem.

2)....i have a linksys "wired" router, 4-ports.

3)....i need a wireless connection and have a lynksys wireless router in my closet.

4)....Can i connect the WIRELESS ROUTER to the existing HARD WIRED ROUTER and have it properly working?

5)....NO, i do not want to simply use the wireless router and the usage and hook-up must be as described above.

........Thanks,

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Hook up the wireless router to the wired one using an Ethernet cable. Plug the connection from the wired into a LAN port on the wireless. Give the wireless router an IP address on the same network as the wired, and disable DHCP on the wireless.

Da Mail Man

**NOTE - CAPS ARE NOT YELLING, IT IS JUST SEGREGATING PORTIONS OF QUESTIONS/REPLIES**

Hook up the wireless router to the wired one using an Ethernet cable.
OK

Plug the connection from the wired into a LAN port on the wireless. Give the wireless router an IP address on the same network as the wired, and disable DHCP on the wireless.
?????

CABLE LINE FROM STREET > WIRED CABLE MODEM > OUTPUT OF WIRED CABLE MODEM TO WAN PORT ON WIRED ROUTER > OUTPUT FROM PORT OF WIRED ROUTER TO LAN PORT ON WIRELESS(?)

Da Mail Man

That's what I said.

..thanks for the reply---just being sure!

......I am still lost at the "Give the wireless router an IP address on the same network as the wired, and disable DHCP on the wireless and the procedures for same.

voyagerfan99

Staff member
If your wired router has an IP address of 192.168.0.1 with a netmask 255.255.255.0, then assign the IP address of the router on that network, such as 192.168.0.50 netmask 255.255.255.0 or something like that, and point the gateway as the wired router IP address (192.168.0.1).

Da Mail Man

If your wired router has an IP address of 192.168.0.1 with a netmask 255.255.255.0, then assign the IP address of the router on that network, such as 192.168.0.50 netmask 255.255.255.0 or something like that, and point the gateway as the wired router IP address (192.168.0.1).

...Thanks for the reply.

...I figured that i might tinker with this a bit later this evening or, sometime tomorrow to see what i can destroy..(grin)....Would not the wireless router me similar as like a switch?...

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
A router is basically a 4 port switch anyway. That's the whole purpose of not using the internet/wan port. Cable from lan port on wired router to lan port on wireless router. Wired router IP of 192.168.1.1 then manually assign 192.168.1.2 to wireless router. Disable dhcp on wireless router. Simple. Connect directly to the wireless router first to assign the IP then connect it to the network.

Da Mail Man

A router is basically a 4 port switch anyway.
YES, I GOT THAT EXCEPT WIRELESS ACCESS.

That's the whole purpose of not using the internet/wan port. Cable from lan port on wired router to lan port on wireless router. Wired router IP of 192.168.1.1
YES, I UNDERSTAND THAT ALSO

then manually assign 192.168.1.2 to wireless router. Disable dhcp on wireless router. Simple. Connect directly to the wireless router first to assign the IP then connect it to the network.
THIS IS THE PART WHERE I GET LOST AS **HOW TO DO THIS - WHAT STEPS IN SEQUENCE**.

voyagerfan99

Staff member
Look for it under your LAN settings of the router. You need to look and poke around. We can't tell you exactly where everything is.

Da Mail Man

Look for it under your LAN settings of the router. You need to look and poke around. We can't tell you exactly where everything is.

......Agreed...........as i said, i will look at this for the 1st time in many years to see what i can find...Thanks for the response.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member

Since both routers are linksys, its makes it really really simple. This is the page you need to access to configure your settings. Like I said before find out what the IP address is of your wired router and then just change the last number by 1 and that will be the IP address of the second router. Disable dhcp on wireless router.

Just remember to connect an ethernet cable from your computer to wireless router first so you can manually set it up. Once complete then you can connect it to the wired router.
I have 3 routers in my network and can access all from my computer connected to router 1.

Router 1 is an Asus rt-n56u IP address of 192.168.1.1
Router 2 is a linksys with a dead wan/internet port and has ddwrt on it and is used as a wireless repeater with an IP of 192.168.1.3
Router 3 is a linksys connected with a cable to router 1 with an IP of 192.168.1.2

Let me know if you still need help.

beers

Staff member
What's the hard requirement for #5 if you don't mind my asking?

johnb did a good job providing all of the steps you need to get this going :)

A router is basically a 4 port switch anyway.
YES, I GOT THAT EXCEPT WIRELESS ACCESS.

The integrated access point (WAP) hangs off of the switch internally.

Da Mail Man

Since both routers are linksys, its makes it really really simple. This is the page you need to access to configure your settings. Like I said before find out what the IP address is of your wired router and then just change the last number by 1 and that will be the IP address of the second router. Disable dhcp on wireless router.

Just remember to connect an ethernet cable from your computer to wireless router first so you can manually set it up. Once complete then you can connect it to the wired router.
I have 3 routers in my network and can access all from my computer connected to router 1.

Router 1 is an Asus rt-n56u IP address of 192.168.1.1
Router 2 is a linksys with a dead wan/internet port and has ddwrt on it and is used as a wireless repeater with an IP of 192.168.1.3
Router 3 is a linksys connected with a cable to router 1 with an IP of 192.168.1.2

Let me know if you still need help.

....I just started a few min ago to install wireless router....i have it as you have it depicted in your attached picture (DHCP server disabled......however, am i supposed to see anything in the wired router set up display that indicates that the WIRELESS router is connected?.....as of yet, i have not my "devices" connected to determine if i have wireless access...doing that now.

voyagerfan99

Staff member
No you will not see anything besides the IP address of the wireless router in the wired router's IP table. Anything to do with wireless is configured from the wireless router.

Da Mail Man

No you will not see anything besides the IP address of the wireless router in the wired router's IP table. Anything to do with wireless is configured from the wireless router.

....Thanks for the reply...

....I installed the lynksys wireless router to the wired lynksys router via one of the empty ports and unless i did not make the connections correctly, the device(es) that i attempted to get a wireless to the net didn't connect.

...As a test, i connected the wireless router first then, into an empty port i connected the wired router. At this point, i get a connection....What did i do incorrectly here (above)?

...Also, even though this is a wireless router first after the cable modem, are the ports (4) in the back sorta "hard-wired" at 100mbs? as opposed to the devices connected wirelessly through the antenna at 54mbs?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Ok some questions.

1. What is the internal IP address of the wired router?
2. What did you set the internal IP address for the wireless router?
3. You said the wireless router is connected after the modem? I thought you said you wanted it to go modem to wired router to wireless router?
4. Do you have a cable going from lan port on wired router to lan port on wireless router? Remember, do not use the internet/wan port on the wireless router.

Da Mail Man

Ok some questions.
EDITED 08-06-14

1. What is the internal IP address of the wired router?
2. What did you set the internal IP address for the wireless router?
3. You said the wireless router is connected after the modem? I thought you said you wanted it to go modem to wired router to wireless router?
4. Do you have a cable going from lan port on wired router to lan port on wireless router? Remember, do not use the internet/wan port on the wireless router.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A) ONLY "PORT TO PORT" (NO WAN CONNECTION USED BETWEEN THE TWO ROUTERS) WIRING FROM WIRELESS ROUTER TO WIRED ROUTER.

B) CHANGED DHCP FROM "ENABLE" TO "DISABLE".

C) DYNAMIC ROUTING; TX DISABLED, RX DISABLED

D) DYNAMIC ROUTING MODE = GATEWAY

D) LAN IP ADDRESS = 192.168.1.1 / SUB MASK 255.255.255.0

CABLE MODEM>LYNKSYS WIRED WAN PORT>EMPTY LAN PORT TO LINKSYS WIRELESS EMPTY LAN PORT.

ALL CABLES AND EACH ROUTER HAVE BEEN CHECKED INDIVIDUALLY FOR WORKING ASSURANCE.

Last edited: