Wireless and Wired routers connected together?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
What is the IP address of the wired router? If it is 192.168.1.1 just like you have the wireless router set to, that's your problem. You need to give it a different address on the network, like 192.168.1.2

Da Mail Man

Thanks for the reply......

If i run (using win xp pro) winipcfg on any of the computers connected "downstream", they too (of course) have ip's assigned to them.........So, just change the last set of numbers to 15 (really any number not yet assigned) to work so i don't get any conflicts?

voyagerfan99

Staff member
No, change the IP address of the wireless router so it is not the same IP address of the wired router.

Da Mail Man

No, change the IP address of the wireless router so it is not the same IP address of the wired router.

......Man, i am lost a bit!:(:(.....I changed the wired router to something other than ".1.1" but, how do i change the wireless router when it is plugged into the WIRED router?...i will reset the WIRED router back to factory defaults.

voyagerfan99

Staff member
You were supposed to plug into the wireless router. Then assign the wireless router an IP address and disable DHCP, etc. THEN plug it into the wired router.

With the IP address set in the wireless router after plugging it in, you can manage the wireless router just by navigating to the IP address you assigned.

Da Mail Man

You were supposed to plug into the wireless router. Then assign the wireless router an IP address and disable DHCP, etc. THEN plug it into the wired router.
SEE, THAT IS NOT HOW I READ IT.....THIS IS WHY I ALWAYS HATED WIRELESS!...WAIT TILL I GET TO A QUESTION ABOUT A WIRELESS PRINT SERVER I HAVE HAD SITTING IN MY CLOSET FOR 4 YEARS...HA

With the IP address set in the wireless router after plugging it in, you can manage the wireless router just by navigating to the IP address you assigned.
1) I CONNECT CABLE MODEM TO WIRELESS ROUTER VIA ROUTERS' INTERNET PORT (AS MARKED ON BACK)...

2) THEN, HIT THE "192. BLAH BLAH" AND DISABLE DHCP.....

3) THEN, CHANGE THAT WIRELESS ROUTER TO SOME DIFFERENT IP ADDRESS...

4) THEN, DISCONNECT IT FROM CABLE MODEM ...

5) THEN, CONNECT WIRED MODEM TO THE CABLE MODEM...

6) THEN,CONNECT WIRED ROUTER VIA LAN PORT TO WIRELESS ROUTER LAN PORT....

7) THEN..PRAY PRAY PRAY...

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
STOP!!!!!

Please answer the following question

What is the default IP address of the wired router?

If the wired router IP address is 192.168.1.1 then set the IP address of the wireless router to 192.168.1.2

You do not need to connect the wireless router to the modem. Take the ethernet cable from your computer and attach it to one of the 4 lan ports on the wireless router and access the configurations page. Then adjust the correct settings we discussed. Then disconnect your computer from the wireless router and connect the wireless router to the wired router.

Da Mail Man

UPDATE.....

I have no idea as to what I did but, not complaining!

1) I re-set wired router to factory defaults.

2) I ran cable from cable modem to WAN port of wired router.

3) I ran cable from wired router to 8 port switch.

4) I ran cable from port on 8-port switch to lan port on wireless router.

5) seems everything is working now...HOWEVER, will abuse this until tomorrow afternoon to see if it fails....will advise!

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
UPDATE.....

I have no idea as to what I did but, not complaining!

1) I re-set wired router to factory defaults.

2) I ran cable from cable modem to WAN port of wired router.

3) I ran cable from wired router to 8 port switch.

4) I ran cable from port on 8-port switch to lan port on wireless router.

5) seems everything is working now...HOWEVER, will abuse this until tomorrow afternoon to see if it fails....will advise!
Just curious, why did you put an 8 port switch between the two? It will work fine, but it's not necessary.

One thing I didn't see mentioned here, unless I missed it, was changing your wireless router to run in "access point" mode, instead of router mode. This way, you don't have to worry about turning off DHCP, or any of the other issues that having multiple routers will have.

Da Mail Man

Just curious, why did you put an 8 port switch between the two? It will work fine, but it's not necessary.

One thing I didn't see mentioned here, unless I missed it, was changing your wireless router to run in "access point" mode, instead of router mode. This way, you don't have to worry about turning off DHCP, or any of the other issues that having multiple routers will have.

I HAD ADDITIONAL DEVICES TO CONNECT AND NO OTHER REASON.

One thing I didn't see mentioned here, unless I missed it, was changing your wireless router to run in "access point" mode, instead of router mode. This way, you don't have to worry about turning off DHCP, or any of the other issues that having multiple routers will have
I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO TELL YA.....I DID NOT KNOWINGLY SELECT OR SEE OR FIND "ACCESS MODE" (OR SIMILAR) BUT, I DID NOTICE WHILE FOOLING AROUND WITH IT THAT IT WAS SET TO GATEWAY AND NOT ROUTER...THAT WAS BEFORE I RESET TO FACTORY DEFAULTS....AS OF 6AM THIS MORNING APPEARS TO BE WORKING FINE - AGAIN, NOT COMPLAINING!...I HAVE TO START ANOTHER THREAD ABOUT MY "DUSTY" PRINT SERVER BECAUSE I CANNOT ACCESS MY PRINTER FROM ANOTHER ROOM (NOT WIRELESS).

Da Mail Man

:):)I wish to thank those whom participated in the assistance of the resolution of this equipment situation. As of this writing, it is still working:good::good::good::good: . THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!.

(now, where to i post a question about a print server configuration?:confused:).

Da Mail Man

...ok...let me try this one first since it involves "connectivity" as in what i just had gotten solved...

...i have a Toshiba laptop that i just fixed the power jack in the back by complete dis-assembly of the laptop. It has been a while since i used it due to the above problem.

...I have connected it after re-assembly and have wireless access via it's internal card BUT, wired directly into the router, have NO INTERNET ACCESS.

...I have my desktop right next to this and swapped out the hard-wired internet connection/cables and still, no "hard-wire internet access. BOTH cables check good, multiple re-boots, etc and still the same issue.

...My laptop shows "CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET" via the hard line but, using Firefox or Internet Explorer - the same results.

....I have done a "restore" to a point that i noted that "all is working" and the same results. I have re-installed all the drivers with the same results. I have an icon in the task bar (shows 2 tv's) and they are lit showing it is connected to net.

...I believe it s a setting someplace but, after a few hours of searching, cannot locate. The is no firewall preventing anything from connecting either by windows or third party software.

...The "device mgr" says all appears to be cool with no anomalies....

....Any assistance or ideas?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Make sure the IP is set to automatic and not manual. Also make sure there is no proxy set.

Da Mail Man

UPDATE(S);

...Due to some lack of responses to the newest problem, i figured that i would cut my loses and re-format the laptop and reinstall "XP".

...While i used an installation disc (used cd/dvd rom drive) which i booted into in order to reinstall the XP, i noticed that i no longer have my dvd/cd optical drive icon visible in the "my computer".

...I read all the material here and on the net pertaining to the missing dvd/cd icon and it either didn't work or, didn't apply.....I know the drive is functional because i loaded xp with it.

...I went into the bios and saw the drive listed (as dvd drive) and order of same and noticed that there was no "mark or annotation" before it - so, i applied same, re-booted, and the icon appeared and almost just as fast, disappeared...WTF?

...The entire laptop (Toshiba 3.2ghz, xp pro) was disassembled yesterday...I currently have issues in the device driver section as listed below;

1) Ethernet controller.

2) pci device (maybe pertaining to the ext hd i am using to reinstall some programs or, usb mouse).

3) pci flash memory (have never seen this before!).

4) pci flash memory (another one!).

5) universal serial bus (USB) Controller

...I have what i think are all the drivers for this laptop because when i reformatted it years ago, i downloaded off of the Toshiba site for this model and saved all to a folder...

...**OPINIONS PLEASE**...Thanks.

Da Mail Man

Need the exact model number of the laptop before we can give you drivers.

...Thanks for the reply..

satellite A75-S209.

...found a few more drivers and have some link information but, do not know if allowed to post here....Also, now only have Ethernet controller and Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller in device mgr as problematic.

voyagerfan99

Staff member
You know you can jist get all the drovers from the Toshiba support papge roght?

Da Mail Man

You know you can jist get all the drovers from the Toshiba support papge roght?

...Yes, i know but don't seem to be working out for some reason...I am currently preparing to install sp2/sp3 (not that that would make any difference)....This is going to be another one of those up-hill battles again.

^^^^^^^

Just to be on the safe side of all this, let me reformat this damned thing again to be sure there was no corruption in the install....Back later.

Last edited: