Wireless and Wired routers connected together?

Da Mail Man

UPDATE: THE BELOW DID WORK ON RESTORING CD/DVD ROM ICON TO "MY COMPUTER".

Note To use this method, you must be logged on to Windows as an administrator. If you need help verifying that you are an administrator, go to http://support.microsoft.com/gp/admin

Important Follow the steps in this section carefully. Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Before you modify it, back up the registry for restoration in case problems occur.

To create the registry subkey, follow these steps:

Press the Windows logo key + R to open the Run box.
Type regedit in the Run box, then press Enter. If you are prompted for an
administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow
In the navigation pane, locate the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi
Right-click atapi, point to New, then click Key.
Type Controller0, and then press Enter.
Right-click Controller0, point to New, and then click DWORD(32-bit) Value .
Type EnumDevice1, and then press Enter.
Right-click EnumDevice1, click Modify....
Type 1 in the Value data box, and then click OK.
Exit Registry Editor.
Restart the computer.

Da Mail Man

Damn!,

....Here is what is now happening - geez, i though i had this conquered! The
cd-rom icon did in fact appear however, after a few reboots and even overnight (this morning) i notice that the icon is gone again!:confused::confused::confused:. WTF!!....

....All the system settings are holding just fine (clock, etc)...I had to go back to the registry and delete a setting (deleted a single number, then, re-entered it) without hitting "apply/enter" and then re-booted and it would reappear....In effect, i changed nothing....What is going on here?:eek:...The drive is good.

EDITED - UPDATE-
...Since i had to completely dismantle the laptop, that involved me into removing the cd/dvd optical drive. So, i removed the drive and "re-seated" it and so far, it appears to be working. May have been that it was poorly seated with an intermittent contact into it's mating socket...Will monitor and will advise if any changes.

Last edited: