Wireless keyboard or wired

Do you have a wireless keyboard/mouse or wired?

• Wireless

Votes: 18 51.4%
  • Wired

Votes: 17 48.6%

• Total voters

foschia

i have a wired keyboard and wireless mouse. i have only once had a problem with my mouse i get a range of 27.35 ft (measured myself) the only time i had a problem was when my mouse was around 8 olther desktop/laptop computers and then i had a range of 4 ft but other then that its awesome

Mr.Suave

i have a wired keyboard and wireless mouse too. i wish i had a wireless keyboard to just sit in my bed and stuff but i dont really mind going to the computer to type. a wireless mouse is great. no more cords getting in the way. and i can play tricks on other comps :D i have a G7 and the reciever is a small USB stick.

really it depends on what wireless keyboard/mouse you get. some are crappy and some are great. just depends.

PC eye

banned
The advice on going for wireless would be to have a corded model onhand in the event that you run into a situation where Windows has to be reinstalled or even a drive wiped due to a virus/spyware infection, or even system upgrade where a wireless isn't properly detected at the start. In those circumstances where USB and other peripherals are not available you could end up a real bind without some corded hardware nearby. The convenience on the other hand with a good brand and reliable setup is still desirable.

anil099

i paid round 40 bucks for my wireless keyboard and mouse..logitech...no complaints as of yet...ha dit since january..the mouse seems to use batterie sway quicker than the keyboard...

PC eye

banned
Well compare the time the mouse is in use to the typing you do. Get some of those copper topped batteries. They seem to do better then that other brand they always advertise.

DCIScouts

VIP Member
I believe it also has to do with the amount of information that the mouse is transmitting back to the receiver compared to the keyboard.

PC eye

banned
That would be true since the data passed along from a keyboard would mostly be that sent when you pressed either a character key or accessed a programmable feature requiring a wider signal not necessarily stronger one to transmit the larger amount of code. On a mouse you scroll as well as press the buttons there plus have a steady base signal added to that. That would seem to demand more from the batteries.

Another thought to add to that would be the type of batteries used. The keyboard would use what 4 or 6 C type while a mouse my use 3 or 4 triple As or a 9v if not 2 or 3 double As.

Dr Studly

banned
i have wired both mouse and keyboard... my computer is so old tho it would be a waste trying wireless... and they work fine, what i have... when i get my new PC early nxt yr i prolly will go wireless...

i have also heard things about being able to transfer energy through the air... like so wirelss mouse wouldn't need batteries.... idk...

PC eye

banned
Encore4More said:
i have wired both mouse and keyboard... my computer is so old tho it would be a waste trying wireless... and they work fine, what i have... when i get my new PC early nxt yr i prolly will go wireless...

i have also heard things about being able to transfer energy through the air... like so wirelss mouse wouldn't need batteries.... idk...

A wireless mouse would still have to have a power source in order to send a signal in some form to the receiver plugged into either the main board or usb port. Don't forget besides moving the mouse with optical, magnetic, or even a rubber ball(rare), you also press what? Left and right and maybe a center button as well as a scroll wheel on some models. A mouse would also be a little too small to be powered effectively by solar power cells at this point.

PC eye

banned
LITHIUM said:
wireless...it is just better

Better for whom? would be the question there. For anyone servicing as well as custom building systems the answer to that would be obviously different.

Dr Studly

banned
PC eye said:
A wireless mouse would still have to have a power source in order to send a signal in some form to the receiver plugged into either the main board or usb port. Don't forget besides moving the mouse with optical, magnetic, or even a rubber ball(rare), you also press what? Left and right and maybe a center button as well as a scroll wheel on some models. A mouse would also be a little too small to be powered effectively by solar power cells at this point.
i know but im talking about the future... being able to powerfully be able to manopulate that ability...
and not solar power actually wirelessly transfer electricity...

PC eye

banned
Encore4More said:
i know but im talking about the future... being able to powerfully be able to manopulate that ability...
and not solar power actually wirelessly transfer electricity...

I am fully aware of the future possibilities that technology may reach that point at some time in even the near future as research into those areas including alternative energies remains ongoing.

Dr Studly

banned
PC eye said:
I am fully aware of the future possibilities that technology may reach that point at some time in even the near future as research into those areas including alternative energies remains ongoing.
yea that would be cool, do you think they will use that type of technology in keybords and mice in the future?

PC eye

banned
Any new technology like this would take some time before it could ever be... what's the best term I'm looking for here? User Friendly! You first have to refine this down to effective and stable levels before ever being able to develope products for consumer uses such as pc input devices like cordless keyboards and mice. There is certainly room for it since you already have wireless headphones available for those loud action scenes in pc games!

4W4K3

VIP Member
Wired, until the day I die. Even if there is a revolutionary advancement in wireless which makes it much more efficient and error free...I'd still take Wired. Both Mouse and Keyboard.

I don't really like any wireless devices. Even remote controls for my TV are a PITA for me.

PC eye

banned
4W4K3 said:
Wired, until the day I die. Even if there is a revolutionary advancement in wireless which makes it much more efficient and error free...I'd still take Wired. Both Mouse and Keyboard.

I don't really like any wireless devices. Even remote controls for my TV are a PITA for me.

On entertainment devices like vcrs, dvd players, audio centers I'm always looking for the manual controls for some reason. The only time I ever use remotes is when programming a vcr or cable box as a rule. Yet I use a remote for one thing. MUTE! (Now who's calling right in the middle of......?)