Wireless router dissconecting constantly

vtorres

Hello i am Ashley and i have a belkin wireless router, ASDL +2 model = f5d7632-4
and it has a big problem randomly it decides to restart cutting of the internet for a minute or so and then it decides to work again it constantly disconnects day after day i have updated the firmware but to no avail any help ?

vtorres

I am sure as it happens to the Ps3 and every other computer in the household and the lights on the router go on the blink so it is definitely the router any ideas mate ?

aviation_man

Sounds like an overheating problem but you say it happens after a minute, is this one minute from a previous reboot or from a cold start-up? It may or may not be a heating problem.
Is this router new or old? If it's old, have you made any changes to it recently? How long has this been going on?
If its new, is it possible you entered in something incorrectly?

vtorres

I have had it for a year or so. I am positive it is not an over heating problem as were ever i put the Router downstairs or upstairs the problem consists. The wireless router disconnects say every 45minutes but while disconnection only the internet connection restarts not the whole router just the globe light which turns from solid to flashing and then eventually turns solid.

aviation_man

Ah. Thank you for specifying. And you didn't do any changes to it recently?
That sounds like an ISP problem, have you contacted them?

vtorres

No need to as when i apply the BT modem it works without a disconnection problem i use the BT modem via Ethernet cable and no problems but when using the belkin wireless router it just disconnects and my isp is BT.

vtorres

Hmm nope just used my BT modem that's all as well as the Belkin one my former routers were cable (DSL).

vtorres

Argh i cannot be bothered to buy a new router lol Think ill just put up with it then if i cannot fix it myself :(

aviation_man

Try that and get back to us. We cannot do anything further until you confirm that it is/isn't your router that is causing the problem.

tlarkin

VIP Member
have you reset the router? What type of security are you running? What kind of apps are you running on your PCs? You running any P2P apps? Anything that might eat up bandwidth?

vtorres

Well i am sure it is nothing to do with apps as every computers internet goes including the ps3 internet connection. The security is WPA2 and i have reset the router several times I do use bit torrent but my ps3 doesn't ;)

tlarkin

VIP Member
Well i am sure it is nothing to do with apps as every computers internet goes including the ps3 internet connection. The security is WPA2 and i have reset the router several times I do use bit torrent but my ps3 doesn't ;)

Yes it does if you have apps that are taking all your bandwidth. Do you have any P2P apps running?

tlarkin

VIP Member
Only bit torrent but even without that in use it still restarts.

Yeah but if bit torrent is downloading and uploading enough to max out your bandwidth which is probably like what, 5mbit? Then it can cause connection problems. Does your router actually cycle power? It would also explain why the problem is intermittent.

As a way to rule it out, just shut off all P2P apps on your whole network for a day or two and see how it performs.