Wireless Router

g4m3rof1337

What's a good wireless router that can give either extraordinary wireless range, or some receivers, for a multi-level house. There would be wired and wireless connections, and the ISP would be cable. We've tried N before, and it apparently was still in draft and kept dropping.

Anyways, thanks.

Last edited:

g4m3rof1337

And I assume it'll be best if a Cat6/E cable is used?

Also, it needs to have a hard to crack key level.

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
The type of cable to the wireless router doesn't matter, it could be CAT5 or CAT6E, since most wireless routers only have a 10/100 WAN port. Security wise, if you want better security go for WPA or WPA2, avoid WEP at all costs!

802.11n is technically still in draft stage from what I heard, but for best results buy a wireless card and router from the same manufacturer, which should cause less problems for you.

g4m3rof1337

Hm, alright, I was asking about using CAT6E for the desktop, sorry.

And the laptops and consoles would be connecting via wireless, one's a Macbook (Gen1) , one's a somewhat new Acer, then my Toshiba.

Thanks.

g4m3rof1337

Um, I'm not sure.. The other devices would be laptops (wifi), consoles (wired), and an Apple TV (wifi).

Is that what you meant?

Thanks.

Geoff

VIP Member
Assuming you only have a 10/100 switch or router, there isn't a need for CAT6 cable, however if you need to buy new cable you might as well get it as it's not much more money, that way you won't need to upgrade the cabling as soon.

As for the wireless router, the WRT54G is a nice router and works well, although it's limited to 802.11g.

g4m3rof1337

That was one of the first ones I looked at, I like the D-Link for the gig ports and the range of wifi.

I'll do some more research though.

And I'd use the custom firmware with that Linksys, right?

Thanks.

tlarkin

VIP Member
All that crap the D-Link is trying to sell you is hype. The only thing it does is nice, is dual band wifi. However, how many varying clients are you going to have on your wifi? They are all going to be G or N at this point in time.

You can add a gigabit switch out of the router, because your internet is not near a gigabit connection.

g4m3rof1337

There will be around 4 PCs, 1 Mac, 2 Consoles, and an Apple TV. 1 PC and the 2 consoles will be wired. I'm also going to upgrade the internet to a fast cable connection.

Thanks.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Ok, quick lesson

8 bits in a byte, 1 million bytes in a mega byte.

Your internet will never be more than 1000megabits per a second, ever.

So, you buy the Linksys and dump it into a 10 port gigaswtich so all of your client to client transfers are at a gig, and your pipe to the internet are 100megabits per a second.

The dd-wrt firmware basically turns the Linksys consumer router into a router that would probably cost $500+ for the functionality of it of one that comes standard with those features.

Our building to building fiber has 200 meg pipes to it, and we play like 15 to 20 thousand dollars a month for it. Of course it spans to like 60 or 70 buildings but you get my drift.

g4m3rof1337

Ok, quick lesson

8 bits in a byte, 1 million bytes in a mega byte.

Your internet will never be more than 1000megabits per a second, ever.

So, you buy the Linksys and dump it into a 10 port gigaswtich so all of your client to client transfers are at a gig, and your pipe to the internet are 100megabits per a second.

The dd-wrt firmware basically turns the Linksys consumer router into a router that would probably cost $500+ for the functionality of it of one that comes standard with those features.

Our building to building fiber has 200 meg pipes to it, and we play like 15 to 20 thousand dollars a month for it. Of course it spans to like 60 or 70 buildings but you get my drift.

Ah, alright, makes sense.

Thanks.