Wireless Router

th3ha1og0d

I can vouch for the Linksys WRT54GS...ours is a version 7 model and works well in our 2 story home. Handles WPA2 encryption no problem, and a multitude of wifi clients (Computers, Ipod Touch, Archos media player etc.) Has good range and speed for the $ although if you need really good range you might want to look at a router that has hot swappable antennae so you can add a high-gain antenna. AFAIK the Linksys WRT54XX routers do not have removable antennas.

The reason ours works so well for range is because we have it hooked up right in the centre of the home above drop ceiling tiles in the basement. (Basically the router is in the very middle of the house). If you have drop ceiling tiles or can rig up something similar as opposed to setting it up in a corner in your basement that would be preferable because any router is going to be restricted if it is in a poor place regardless of whether it's N or G. Just to give you an idea, my friend has a wireless N router which supposedly gives better range than my G router, but he can't get a wireless connection from across his house because the router is set up in a far corner of the home.

Last edited:

g4m3rof1337

Hm, OK, I have the WRT54GS laying around, and I was able to remove the antennas, so I assume it would be the same on the one that was posted? Then adding the DDWRT firmware, I should be fine? Would it help if I set up an external firewall? I just want to have piece of mind, you know?

Thanks.

th3ha1og0d

Regarding the antennas I think the Linksys router uses a different type or size of connector - because I have an SMC high range antenna that can connect to almost any piece of wireless equipment but it does NOT fit the connectors for the WRT54gs. Try out the 2 factory antennas first and see if they provide adequate range - if not then it may be hard to find an aftermarket antenna compatible with the router.

The WRT54GS has a good SPI firewall on the original firmware - I don't know what features DDWRT adds but as long as you have firewall enabled in the router you will be good to go. If you use another hardware firewall in front of the Linksys router you will most likely have some compatibility issues, so I'd just go with the one in the Linksys. Of course, for extra protection you can make sure your client side devices are running software firewalls (Windows Firewall, Comodo or whatever you prefer to use).

Second,

th3ha1og0d

Yes, since you have it laying around you may as well test it out to see if it satisfies your needs. DDWRT allows you to increase the power output of the antennas IIRC so if at default settings it doesn't give enough range then you can increase that slowly.

g4m3rof1337

Alright, so if I use the Linksys, and connect a gig switch, I won't experience a connection drop/leak or anything?

Also, for anyone who would know, do I install the DDWRT firmware before I set up the router and stuff? Do I go into the router's admin page and install it through there? And if I mess up, can I reset it?

How do these switches look?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3350633&CatId=2796

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1032921&CatId=2796

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=628104&CatId=2796

Thanks.

Last edited:

th3ha1og0d

Those switches look good but keep in mind the WRT54GS is only a 10/100 router so you won't get full 1000 throughput. Fill me in on the reason for the switch though....I'm not quite sure how a switch would prevent a connection drop :)

Also, I don't believe that you can install DDWRT firmware through the firmware update page in the router... I believe it must be flashed, and if you "brick" the router there are unbricking procedures. Can you test the router with the latest linksys firmware to see if it suits your needs and then upgrade to DDWRT if you need to? Check out the DDWRT website for full instructions and procedures because they'll have everything you need to know on there.

g4m3rof1337

Ah, I was told that if I went with the Linksys, and I wanted wired gig speeds, I could connect a switch to it. I'm still considering the D-Link with gigabit ports.

Thanks.

th3ha1og0d

Yeah the only problem is since it's the actual router itself that does the routing and handles the connections you'd still be limited to 10/100 even though it is a gig switch. So if you want a full gigabit wired LAN setup then you have to make sure that the router supports 10/100/1000. (To the best of my knowledge the WRT54GS is only 10/100).

Which D-Link are you looking at? DIR-655? D link makes good products.

th3ha1og0d

That looks like a good router. The one I mentioned is $60 less, but the one you linked looks like it's ready to handle anything. I like the fact that they have 3 antennas...that could be useful in your situation depending on where the router is set up.

I'd go with either one TBH, but it looks like the DGL 4500 is top of the line. Go for that one if you like. If money is a factor though then I'd test out the WRT54GS. (What version is yours? Mines a V7). To be honest the WRT54GS even on linksys firmware is a solid unit. It supports WPA2, has good range and speed, and has a user friendly web interface with a good set of features. It is an inferior unit to both of the D Link models but, like I said, if you try it out and are happy with it you may end up saving some $$.

th3ha1og0d

The LCD is one of the differences, and the only other I can see is that the DIR-655 only has a 2.4ghz wireless band. The DGL-4500 has 2.4 and 5.0 ghz so in situations where there is interference on the 2.4ghz band (microwaves, telephones, etc.) you could switch to 5.0ghz. To be honest, the LCD is nice but not worth the extra money, and the option of the 5ghz band is nice but to be honest I really don't think you'll have any problems with 2.4. Both routers have the same security and QoS features and run the same Ubicom processor.

I'd save the $60 and go with the DIR-655 because they're practically the same router just as you said.

g4m3rof1337

The LCD is one of the differences, and the only other I can see is that the DIR-655 only has a 2.4ghz wireless band. The DGL-4500 has 2.4 and 5.0 ghz so in situations where there is interference on the 2.4ghz band (microwaves, telephones, etc.) you could switch to 5.0ghz. To be honest, the LCD is nice but not worth the extra money, and the option of the 5ghz band is nice but to be honest I really don't think you'll have any problems with 2.4. Both routers have the same security and QoS features and run the same Ubicom processor.

I'd save the $60 and go with the DIR-655 because they're practically the same router just as you said.

Awesome, thanks.

chrisalv14

banned
NEW Wireless N Bittorrent Router/NAS with USB Port (PCI MZK-W04NU)
Retail Price: $180

mzk-w04nu.jpg

ftlzll.jpg

2du9i1f.jpg

g4m3rof1337

This looks a little 'beginner', but would Network Magic help at all?

I'm pretty savvy with network related stuff, since I run my own LANs, but thought it might monitor the network and stuff, since I'm looking for stuff that will help secure the network.

I'm also going with the D-Link Xtreme N Wireless-N Gig router, some Cat6/E cables, and whatever else I need.

Thanks.