World Record Attempt

Aastii

VIP Member
ok ladies, it has just come up in a squad meeting an idea.

A clan i play with, lonewolves, are in the early stages of trying to set up a world record attempt of the longest time playing an online game. It will be in an open public server either in CoD4 or MW2 (probably in late 09, early 2010) so anyone can come in and we will be doing it sponsored for charity, which charity, we aren't sure of yet, like i say, it is still early days.

I am putting it here so you can join in the fun if it happens and to raise early awareness so we can make even more money for charity.

So far as we know, it isn't yet a record, so we have sent off an application to the guiness book of world records people to try and break the record. Even if it turns out there is one, we will still try to break it.

I can't stress enough though that it is still early, we only thought of it tonight, researched tonight and put in the application tonight, but we all want to do this very very much so there is deffinate commitment there, so the chances of it happening are very high.

The amount we raise should be fairly large aswell because we have people who work deep in microsoft who can get stuff from them and a member who works for oil companies around the world and they give out stuff for charities all of the time.

=EXTRA INFO SO FAR=

The charities it seems will be

great ormand street hospital ( http://www.gosh.org/ )

and

The Make a Wish Foundation ( http://www.make-a-wish.org.uk/ )

Date will be 28th-29th November, starting at 9:00 (9AM) GMT

Last edited:

Droogie

i'd definitely pop in for a few hours, but unfortunately i have Cod4 for xbox 360. cool idea though :good:

Aastii

VIP Member
i'd definitely pop in for a few hours, but unfortunately i have Cod4 for xbox 360. cool idea though :good:

it will not necessarily be CoD4, it could be MW2, we haven't decided yet but it will be either one or the other

computernoob1

I googled it and everywhere I keep reading 50 hours, I don't think anyone has past that because the people that played 50 hours straight are dead

ducis

what about WoW? it goes for months uninterrupted.
Im kind of confused as to what exactly your trying to do. the longest a server has been populated or the longest single round ever played.

Yoonsi

I'd be keen to join in the fun =3 and kudo's to you for doing something that makes a difference.

Justin

VIP Member
stock up on mountain dew and food. ;) best of luck to ya.

hmmm if someone ranked 1 in MW2, in that time could probably reach 55 or whatever max rank MW2 will be in the process of breaking the record. :p

Aastii

VIP Member
for those confused, it isn't the longest time a server is up, our server is up all of the time, other clan servers are up all of the time and populated.

What we are trying to do is the longest time played as a group/squad/clan whatever you want to call it. Basically whatever the guinness world record people say "this is what it falls under" is what we will do.

I know people have played for 2 or 3 days none stop on a game but they haven't been recorded or proven or moderated by the guinness world records so aren't records. What we plan on doing is going to be all regulated how they want it and we will hopefully get into the book.

Even if we don't, like i said it is for charity. We will be getting money by the hour from people we know aswell as having donations on the site for people to give money. We haven't decided on the charity yet, have ideas coming in from squad members, then we will poll, then I will post what we have decided on.

It is open for anyone to come in and play, sponsored or unsponsored, for as long as you like.

I will PM a mod see if it is ok for me to post up the site url and server ip for you to go look and that

Masterfulks

I would think this would be hard to verify.

You could have people switching seats at home to keep the same screen name going.

Motoxrdude

No offense, but i dont think this is going to workout. It's always super hard to organize something like this over the internet. I mean, have you ever tried getting a party going in WoW to last the entire instance?

Machin3

I googled it and everywhere I keep reading 50 hours, I don't think anyone has past that because the people that played 50 hours straight are dead

I read that too but that was for a single person. I can't find anything about group. Nvidia did that "longest lan time" last year I think.

Aastii

VIP Member
i don't know how it will work out, we aren't there yet. Like I say, whatever the gwr people say we have to do we will try to do, but the record is 2 things: a bonus and a catch. If we say "we will play for a long time for charity", it won't get as many people as "we are trying to break a record for charity". It is all for charity at the end of the day.

No offense, but i dont think this is going to workout. It's always super hard to organize something like this over the internet. I mean, have you ever tried getting a party going in WoW to last the entire instance?

alot of us know people irl aswell as in the clan, so it is is half internet, half people that everyone knows, either way we will have atleast the clan playing non-stop, everyone else will be for extra support, money and fun. Also, for instances they are usually planned a day or 2 in advance at best, if not on the spot. We have people that know each other organising it months in advance so you can't really compare, it isn't a spare of the moment thing

Dystopia

I hope this works out. I'd like to take part myself but on dial up....We may have high speed by then, though. Hopefully. If so, I'll try to join in for a few hours. My parents would never let me do the whole thing, lol. Don't know if I could, either.

Aastii

VIP Member
I hope this works out. I'd like to take part myself but on dial up....We may have high speed by then, though. Hopefully. If so, I'll try to join in for a few hours. My parents would never let me do the whole thing, lol. Don't know if I could, either.

even if you can't you can still reach into your pocket for charity ;)

Latest on the chosen charity(s) btw, it will deffinately be a childrens one and so far great ormond street hospital, ronald mcdonald house charities, the make a wish foundation, joshua della appeal or we are possibly considering helping a local youth centre or care home.

When we have decided which one(s) we are going to help i will post up.

Ac3

ok ladies, it has just come up in a squad meeting an idea.

A clan i play with, lonewolves, are in the early stages of trying to set up a world record attempt of the longest time playing an online game. It will be in an open public server either in CoD4 or MW2 (probably in late 09, early 2010) so anyone can come in and we will be doing it sponsored for charity, which charity, we aren't sure of yet, like i say, it is still early days.

I am putting it here so you can join in the fun if it happens and to raise early awareness so we can make even more money for charity.

So far as we know, it isn't yet a record, so we have sent off an application to the guiness book of world records people to try and break the record. Even if it turns out there is one, we will still try to break it.

I can't stress enough though that it is still early, we only thought of it tonight, researched tonight and put in the application tonight, but we all want to do this very very much so there is deffinate commitment there, so the chances of it happening are very high.

The amount we raise should be fairly large aswell because we have people who work deep in microsoft who can get stuff from them and a member who works for oil companies around the world and they give out stuff for charities all of the time.

And before you were saying to other people they didn't have lives... LOL