x2 vs intel d's

robina_80

hi guys ive got a situation here,
im about to upgrade my pc but i cant decide wether to get a pentium d 830 or a single core athlon 64 4000+, i wouldnt mind an amd x2 but there well expensive. at the moment im liking the pentium d 830 any thoughts and suggestions?

TheChef

The X2 clearly beats a Pentium D, and for that matter an Intel Extreme Edition as well. X2 would definetly be your better choice.

alanuofm

VIP Member
the pentium D is more economical than the X2. however the pentium D is power hungry. and the x2 does not clearly beat the pentium D. it depends on what you're doing it. the intel extreme edition has 2 cores with HT = sweetness.

X24

if u were going with an ee with dual core, why not grab the fx57 or X2 4800+ that both beat it.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
i wouldnt mind an amd x2 but there well expensive. at the moment im liking the pentium d 830 any thoughts and suggestions?
if you're considering Pentium D 830 then the X2-3800 is in that ballpark

With the X2- Dual 64 bit processors.... need I say more???
things
. It's a dual core processor ... not a SMP capable one
. PentiumD is also a dualcore 64bit setup

The X2 clearly beats a Pentium D, and for that matter an Intel Extreme Edition as well. X2 would definetly be your better choice.
does it?

if u were going with an ee with dual core, why not grab the fx57 or X2 4800+ that both beat it.
does it?

the record, my questions should not be taken literally.

TheChef

Praetor said:
does it?

[/i]

I've read reviews in which the editors were clearly impressed with both, but found that the short pipeline in the X2 4800 and greater memory bandwith helped it edge out the EE840. They provide benchmarking results, which clearly show the X2 as the winner in Aquamark (suprising), 3DMark03 and 05.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I've read reviews in which the editors were clearly impressed with both, but found that the short pipeline in the X2 4800 and greater memory bandwith helped it edge out the EE840. They provide benchmarking results, which clearly show the X2 as the winner in Aquamark (suprising), 3DMark03 and 05.
I dont know why its surprising [to you] that Athlon64 X2 does better on gaming oriented benchmarks .... nothing new there. While I agree X2 is prolly better overall for most people ... it most certainly doesnt walk away absolutely cleanly
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2410&p=10

I would post a different link but i cant find it ... they did a Doom3 + Premier benchie as well as some animation ones ... deep Intel land :)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I always thought Aquamark generally gave Intel better scores than AMD, due to the architecture.
What architecture? In either case, the AMD setup has the superior architecture for games ....

robina_80

i dont care about the x2's cos im not that rich. i want to know what to get out of the pentium d 830 and the athlon 64 4000+ i know the athlon 64 4000+ isnt dual core like the pentium d 830

Geoff

VIP Member
if it was between those 2, i would go pentium D. Mainly for the better performance in some games, and especially for the future since more programmers are starting to write games that take advantage of multiple cores.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
i dont care about the x2's cos im not that rich. i want to know what to get out of the pentium d 830 and the athlon 64 4000+ i know the athlon 64 4000+ isnt dual core like the pentium d 830
Funny ... because the X2-3800 is in the same price bracket as both of those....

if it was between those 2, i would go pentium D. Mainly for the better performance in some games
Where'd you hear this?

Now that you put it that way, I would go with the Pentium D instead of the Athlon 64 4000+....
Dont stress it ... its not true. :)

skidude

I'm not offended, I'm just shocked..... I am an AMD fan but I had no idea a 4000+ could outperform a dual core processor..... wow