Yes or No ?

Young Simmo

I have had this Windows 8 Computer for about 4 or 5 years, and lately I am being prompted to go up to Windows 8.1 and even windows 10.
Question: Should I change to one of them, and what would the advantage?
My computer is only used for general entertainment, E-mail and news for a 76 year old.

Punk

Staff member
I would upgrade to 10 but if you don't like it at least go to 8.1. 8 was a mess and 8.1 was way more stable.

Laquer Head

Absolutely, I would highly recommend to do the FREE upgrade to Windows 10, now. Its only FREE till end of this month, unless you enjoy paying $150 for something down the road that you could have had for FREE now.

It's not flawless, but what OS is. Definitely think you should upgrade to 10 now, and try it while you still have the chance - worst case scenario, you roll back within 30 days to previous OS.

Reactions: C4C

strollin

How resistant are you to change? Upgrading to Win 10 will result in you having to learn new ways to do some of the things you do on your computer. Win 8.1 is only a small incremental change from Win 8 so less new stuff to learn.

If you're the adventurist type, Win 10. More conservative, Win 8.1.

Okedokey

Windows 10 is much more like previous build of windows than 8 or 8.1 so it may be a better choice. Saying that, its about how the person who uses it is accustomed to windows. Even so, 8.1 is better than 8 hands down.

Intel_man

VIP Member
To be fair... the big difference between 8 and 10 was the start menu's back. Everything else is more like an improvement/upgrade from 8 when it comes to the user interface.

Young Simmo

Now I am confused, because my computer is a fun thing and not for business, I think I will stay with what I have and be
grateful.
It is Windows 8 but, with Classic Start and Windows Live Mail from my Windows 7.

Punk

Staff member
Now I am confused, because my computer is a fun thing and not for business, I think I will stay with what I have and be
grateful.
It is Windows 8 but, with Classic Start and Windows Live Mail from my Windows 7.

Windows 8.1 has that too. Seriously, I can understand not moving to 10 but staying with 8 and not upgrading to 8.1 is quite the mistake. 8.1 is 8, but better, more stable and with less security breaches. I highly recommend at least upgrading to 8.1.

Jiniix

I'm more inclined to believe they'll find a way to invalidate 7/8.1. Like BF3 users had to upgrade away from XP. Maybe not DX9/10 related this time, but similar.

spirit

Staff member
Windows 8.1 has that too. Seriously, I can understand not moving to 10 but staying with 8 and not upgrading to 8.1 is quite the mistake. 8.1 is 8, but better, more stable and with less security breaches. I highly recommend at least upgrading to 8.1.
I agree you should upgrade to 8.1 but 8 is not half as unstable as you seem to make it out to be. I know on your girlfriend's laptop upgrading to 8.1 fixed something but 8 was stable on all of the (many) machines I used it on. 8.1 is just as stable as 8 was but with lots of improvements that make it much better. Yes, updates released for 8.1 since it was released may make 8.1 more stable than 8 but at the time when 8 was a current OS it wasn't unstable.

But anyway, if you're still using 8 you really should upgrade to 8.1 or 10. I really don't know why you wouldn't. Once you've gone to 8.1 you can't really use 8 again, it feels so weird and little things, like searching from the Start Screen, were improved so much in 8.1 that 8 feels a bit clunky.

Last edited:

Punk

Staff member
I agree you should upgrade to 8.1 but 8 is not half as unstable as you seem to make it out to be. I know on your girlfriend's laptop upgrading to 8.1 fixed something but 8 was stable on all of the (many) machines I used it on. 8.1 is just as stable as 8 was but with lots of improvements that make it much better. Yes, updates released for 8.1 since it was released may make 8.1 more stable than 8 but at the time when 8 was a current OS it wasn't unstable.

But anyway, if you're still using 8 you really should upgrade to 8.1 or 10. I really don't know why you wouldn't. Once you've gone to 8.1 you can't really use 8 again, it feels so weird and little things, like searching from the Start Screen, were improved so much in 8.1 that 8 feels a bit clunky.
Haha you are like the only person I've heard say that. Same thing with Vista again...

My GF's laptop was a mess but I've noticed bugs on my two desktops too when they had 8.

Intel_man

VIP Member
Vista's launch sucked because it was filled with bugs. Most of it got fixed in the service packs though. It didn't address the gigantic memory hog of an OS though until 7 came along.

spirit

Staff member
Haha you are like the only person I've heard say that. Same thing with Vista again...

My GF's laptop was a mess but I've noticed bugs on my two desktops too when they had 8.
Most people I know who didn't like 8 just whined about it's UI, never mentioning anything at all about stability.