Yes or No ?

Okedokey

Just because you're thin skinned doesn't mean I was condescending. A lot of OSs discussed are ancient and playing with them as a kid doesn't amount to much in terms of detailed assessment. Simple fact. If your ego is hurt, that is your problem.

Origin Saint

Just because you're thin skinned doesn't mean I was condescending. A lot of OSs discussed are ancient and playing with them as a kid doesn't amount to much in terms of detailed assessment. Simple fact. If your ego is hurt, that is your problem.
Believe me, you don't hurt my feelings or my ego. Neither are that fragile.
Aoazq_s-200x150.gif

Intel_man

VIP Member
The OS I started to use a lot was Windows 2000. Then XP, then 7, then 10. I skipped over most of the crappy ones. :D

I've had exposure with MSDos, 3.1, and 98, but I was way too young to really understand how it worked.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I didn't like 3.1 and the way you had to do things.
Windows 95 was somewhat better but still lacking.
Windows 98 was a major improvement, with 98SE making it a little better.
Windows XP dependability at least doubled that of 98. Ran like a dog with only 128mb memory. 1GB should have been minimum with 2gb the sweet spot.
Windows Vista was terrible. Trying to get it networked and share files with XP machines was a pain in the ass. Again, ran like a dog with less than 3-4 gb of ram even on Vista basic OS.
Windows 7 was much better, ran decently with 3gb of ram.
Windows 8 would have been much better if they would have incorporated the start menu in it, too hard to learn for older people. They didn't realize you could install classic shell or other programs and get the start menu back. They also should have made it default to show "computer", "control panel", "user files" shortcuts on the desktop.
The right click start menu for 8.1 wasn't any better.

I've used every OS since 3.1 and you can't consider windows 2000 as a consumer OS since it was more business related.

I've enjoyed XP and 7 the most though. And with classic shell, windows 10 is more like windows 7 anyway.

Shlouski

VIP Member
Windows 7 was much better

F8 Disable Digital Driver enforcement every time I turned on the computer so my drivers would work sent me back to vista very quickly, but it was good in the end.

Trying to get it networked and share files with XP machines was a pain in the ass.

Windows Vista was the first OS I got network file sharing to work, but then all my computers were on vista.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
F8 Disable Digital Driver enforcement every time I turned on the computer so my drivers would work sent me back to vista very quickly, but it was good in the end.
Really? I didn't have that issue until 8.1/10

Shlouski

VIP Member
Really? I didn't have that issue until 8.1/10

Yeah, had multiple computers with this issue, also some of my software was affected, it wasn't worth the trouble. After this experience I decide to always wait a year or so before adopting a new os, let others test it out, so problems could be addressed and fixed. I didn't have an issue with 8.1, but I don't have many machines running it, I still have many windows 7 machines because of a lack of windows 8 drivers, but are still more than powerful enough by todays standards.
My old gaming pc, a Q9550 @ 4Ghz with 8gb of ddr2 900mhz Cas 4 memory and a gtx 680, still plenty powerful, but no win8 drivers for the motherboard and installing win7 drivers in compatibility mode ended in failure. I have a few good old PC's stuck on win7.

Darren

Staff member
I love Windows 10 to death. It's far and away the most "power user friendly" OS I've used. If you're up to learning it and it's quirks it feels head and shoulders above and faster than Windows 7. Particularly on an SSD. It also has way better functionality on multiple monitors, and I run 3 so this was a big improvement. The ability to punch in anything into Cortana and find it is by itself a huge improvement.

That said. I despise Microsoft for forcing the update upon people and making some settings default to what they do, namely automatic updates and all the data collection. The pushiness with updates and the actual upgrade to 10 itself is probably 60% of the business I see at work, repairing or reinstalling Windows installations gone awry in the upgrade process.

Shlouski

VIP Member
I love Windows 10 to death. It's far and away the most "power user friendly" OS I've used. If you're up to learning it and it's quirks it feels head and shoulders above and faster than Windows 7. Particularly on an SSD. It also has way better functionality on multiple monitors, and I run 3 so this was a big improvement. The ability to punch in anything into Cortana and find it is by itself a huge improvement.

That said. I despise Microsoft for forcing the update upon people and making some settings default to what they do, namely automatic updates and all the data collection. The pushiness with updates and the actual upgrade to 10 itself is probably 60% of the business I see at work, repairing or reinstalling Windows installations gone awry in the upgrade process.

I only have win10 on my new samsung galaxy tabpro s, I'm impressed how well it works considering the lack of power, but it does some strange things sometimes, dunno if its because of the tablet or windows 10. I only use my computers for gaming, file sharing and surfing the internet, win7 and win8.1 can do these things just fine. I wouldn't ever use Cortana, but I'm interested to know how your multi screen setup has been improved by win10, as I have a 4 monitor setup. I'm using AMD's control center to extend to 2 other monitors and a splitter to clone to another. I'm using the splitter instead of just cloning because no matter what I do one of the screens always experiences tearing when cloning, the HDMI splitter fixed this problem.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Windows 2000 is missing from that picture!
WIndows 2000 was the last NT branded version. All the OSes in the picture are consumer versions. Since XP started the use of the NT kernel for home users it kind of makes sense to skip 2000 in the picture.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Windows 2000 was the best OS they had made up to that point and a few years afterwards. In a weird sorta way every OS since has been a upgrade to it.