yet another thread with questions about my new power supply

lovely?

i didnt want to resurrect the old thread, so i just made i new one.

ok here goes. i have heard that 4-pin peripherals are supposed to have something like 30A on them, but the psu i am getting has only 18A on them. could i be mistaken with 5V rail? because in that case it has exactly 30A.

i nice clear response will be much appreciated.

I'm not quite sure what you're asking. 4-pin peripherals are just a type of connector, they are pretty much identical on every PSU. If you're talking about the amperage on each rail, that really depends on what you're powering. I wouldn't use a PSU with 18A on the +12V rail to power a 7800GTX.

4 12V rails, each at 18A (providing a total +12V a 57A). Your CPU, video card and drives draw about the most from the +12V rail. That PSU is more than sufficient for your system, and a lot more.

I'm not sure where you heard that, but it's certainly not the case. Neither the connector nor the wire would take 30A well!

I think thats what you read too... I think the cables can take 30A max =] ^_^
I wouldn't run 30A through 18AWG wire. For one thing, the peripheral connectors themselves are only rated for 13A (each for the +5V and +12V wires), and even at 13A the resistance in the wiring would cause a voltage drop of about .25V, and you'd be dissipating about 3.3 watts within the wire.

Last edited:
That was actually ment for ceewi1.. ^^ iirc, PSU cables are 1.5^2 normally... I just did some testing,.. the isolation melted at 60 Amp.. ^^
at 23 amp the cables were qarm already tough =o

lol you TESTED IT? well i coulda told you what they can hndle, lol i wired my room for a sound system, used an aftermarket amp and melted the wires...

18AWG = 0.0403 inches = 1.02362 mm diameter. When making theoretical calculations, keep in mind the added resistance of the connectors.

Last edited:
well... yea... I mean, whats the point of studieing power electronic's when you dont regulairy blow something up? =D ( just kidding,.. but yes, i tried it, because i was curious)

hmm... they are even thinner than 1.5^2 it seems (correct me if im wrong)... so i can immagine they wouldnt like 20 Amp already ( you would dissipate a lot of energy already i gues). buuut... I'll see if i can find some thinner cables over here then... now im really curious ^^ ( I have to open the window tough.. because it smell's :| )

lol i guess you guys have been doing your homework, but why dont you just look at some other psu's and see if THEY advertise with like 30A on a 12V rail

this antec is in the same price range and power output, but the rails are still under 20A psu

and i believe this is the one you have archangel: hx520

Last edited:
Getting 30A on one rail (or 80A, for that matter), isn't the problem. In fact, it's quite common. Putting 30A through any one wire is a problem. Heck, the whole reason for having two molex inputs on a molex to PCI-E adapter is so that the load can be split across two cables.

hmm... they are even thinner than 1.5^2 it seems (correct me if im wrong)...
That's correct.

so i can immagine they wouldnt like 20 Amp already ( you would dissipate a lot of energy already i gues). buuut... I'll see if i can find some thinner cables over here then... now im really curious ^^ ( I have to open the window tough.. because it smell's :| )
hehe, the voltage drop is going to be the limiting factor, rather than the point where the cables themselves burn.

To give you a basis for comparison, the 18AWG wire itself used on the peripheral connectors is typically rated for 18A. Unofficially, 9A is often considered a reasonable maximum for PC PSUs.

i dont understand. i know i have seen psu's with 25-30A, i cant find them now, but i know they exist lol.

EDIT: i installed my new psu today, it is the best improvement EVER LOL jk. but anyways, i descovered that the old psu i was using had only 210W peak output :O and when i stuck it in, i ran 3dmark03 and scored alot... i'll show a screenshot here in a sec...

Last edited:
i dont understand. i know i have seen psu's with 25-30A, i cant find them now, but i know they exist lol.
There's plenty of PSUs with more than that on a single +12V rail. Take the PC Power and Cooling 1KW-SR - 72A on one +12V rail (and there are units with even more than that).

You couldn't put that much power through any single 4-pin peripheral connector, though, and you won't find PSUs labeled with the maximum current that can be put through an individual connector.

i still dont understand lol. why does my (near) top-of-the-line psu not have more A on the 12V+ rail lol. i would think that it should be around 25-30, and that would be baseline

Back