Your Opinion: Bulldozer vs. Sandy Bridge

spynoodle

what do they mean 9th controlling the other
It sounds almost like the PS3's Cell processor to me, but kind of backwards. Maybe an advanced clocking system that utilizes highly overclocked speeds on specific cores when others are inactive? A sort of advanced turbo boost. I wouldn't think you would need an entire core for that though. Sounds pretty cool, though. :)

StrangleHold

Staff member
I have no idea what they are talking about, link would be nice!

The first Bulldozer desktop will be called Zambezi. Suppost to be a 4/8 and 8/16 core, because each core has two 128-bit FMAC with two sets of pipelines. Hyperthreading on steroids.

spynoodle

The first Bulldozer desktop will be called Zambezi. Suppost to be a 4/8 and 8/16 core, because each core has two 128-bit FMAC with two sets of pipelines. Hyperthreading on steroids.
So instead of splitting the pipeline it has two separate pipelines? Guessing that's going to give performance close to multiple physical cores. I would think that would make a major handicap on clock speeds, wouldn't it? You could probably overclock it easily to significantly higher speeds if you disable the multithreading. Probably would be great for if you don't need more than a couple threads.

StrangleHold

Staff member
From what I understand both FMAC and pipelines can process a single thread or two. Each has its own L1 but share the L2 cache

bomberboysk

So instead of splitting the pipeline it has two separate pipelines? Guessing that's going to give performance close to multiple physical cores. I would think that would make a major handicap on clock speeds, wouldn't it? You could probably overclock it easily to significantly higher speeds if you disable the multithreading. Probably would be great for if you don't need more than a couple threads.

All modern CPU's have multiple pipelines, there are 4 pipelines for each of the two "cores" however. The first cpu's to market will be 8 core processors (with four bulldozer modules, so its not a true 8 core, somewhat of a pseudo 8 core).

In technical terms....bulldozer uses the exact opposite of what hyperthreading is.

Last edited:

Stildawn

I heard it from some guy who claims to know a guy who has a chip (works for AMD or something) who let that info slip in a convo... And regreted it immediately cause hes under a NDA..

So saying that... It could all be BS... But you never know... It does sound interesting... And why is it 128bit... Some people have suggested that the 9th core is a dedicated single thread app core... but I dont think that really makes sense...

StrangleHold

Staff member
The first cpu's to market will be 8 core processors (with four bulldozer modules, so its not a true 8 core, somewhat of a pseudo 8 core).

Pretty sure that has changed. At first I think people thought a module was going to be counted by AMD as 2 cores. So two modules would be a 4 core.

Pretty sure that has changed and AMD is counting a module as a single core.

Think of each twin Integer core Bulldozer module as a single unit

I took that to mean that my assumption was correct and 4 Bulldozer cores meant 4 Bulldozer modules

link
http://www.anandtech.com/show/2881

bomberboysk

Pretty sure that has changed. At first I think people thought a module was going to be counted by AMD as 2 cores. So two modules would be a 4 core.

Pretty sure that has changed and AMD is counting a module as a single core.

Think of each twin Integer core Bulldozer module as a single unit

I took that to mean that my assumption was correct and 4 Bulldozer cores meant 4 Bulldozer modules

link
http://www.anandtech.com/show/2881

"bulldozer core" is the same as "bulldozer module", but it will be marketed as an 8 "core" from what i have seen.

I heard it from some guy who claims to know a guy who has a chip (works for AMD or something) who let that info slip in a convo... And regreted it immediately cause hes under a NDA..

So saying that... It could all be BS... But you never know... It does sound interesting... And why is it 128bit... Some people have suggested that the 9th core is a dedicated single thread app core... but I dont think that really makes sense...
I would highly doubt that, considering the fab that will be making bulldozer chips isnt even operational yet AFAIK.

Stildawn

I would highly doubt that, considering the fab that will be making bulldozer chips isnt even operational yet AFAIK.

Having the actual chip may not be right lol. Ill have to go re read, perhaps it was just "in the know lol"

bomberboysk

Having the actual chip may not be right lol. Ill have to go re read, perhaps it was just "in the know lol"

Well, unless he is an AMD employee or employee of a motherboard manufacturer...i'd still be skeptical, as AMD is nowhere near as giving when it comes to information or ES chips as intel is.

bomberboysk

Thats what he said lol...

But yeah like I said, could all be BS, who knows. Just thought Id share.

I would quite think so, when's the last time you saw an ES chip from amd on the open market? Pretty much never, as only a very select few ever get their hands on ES's from AMD.

spynoodle

So which platform is worth investing in now? The i7 and X58 or Phenom and AM3?
Well.... you already chose X58, right? I would have to say AM3. Supposedly AM3 will support Bulldozer, which is supposed to be a lot faster than Nehalem. It depends, though. If you don't need anything faster than the i7 then you might want X58. If you want to upgrade in the future, though, since Intel is coming out with socket 2011 you'll be out of luck. You might just want to get an AM3 mobo with a Phenom II X6. Honestly, I would choose neither at this point. You may as well wait half a year until the next generation of processors by Intel and AMD come out, so we can see for sure which is the better choice. For me personally, I don't need a upgrade. I'm not a gamer, and my C2Q gives me plenty of performance to spare. I don't need an upgrade until my computer can't run VB and the cheapest version of Windows that still gets updates. Up until last year I was running a Pentium III 800MHz. I seriously needed an upgrade.

Last edited:

Remeniz

Well.... you already chose X58, right? I would have to say AM3. Supposedly AM3 will support Bulldozer, which is supposed to be a lot faster than Nehalem. It depends, though. If you don't need anything faster than the i7 then you might want X58. If you want to upgrade in the future, though, since Intel is coming out with socket 2011 you'll be out of luck. You might just want to get an AM3 mobo with a Phenom II X6. Honestly, I would choose neither at this point. You may as well wait half a year until the next generation of processors by Intel and AMD come out, so we can see for sure which is the better choice. For me personally, I don't need a upgrade. I'm not a gamer, and my C2Q gives me plenty of performance to spare. I don't need an upgrade until my computer can't run VB and the cheapest version of Windows that still gets updates. Up until last year I was running a Pentium III 800MHz. I seriously needed an upgrade.

Yea i'm not upgrading anytime soon, I got plenty power for a while yet. I was just asking cause a few have suggested AMD platforms after i've recommended Intel platforms suggesting that the AMD setup is more future proof.

To be fair this rig will last me at least 2/3 years.

FuryRosewood

no kidding, honestly so much in the air right now, i wouldnt put any cash on either, from an upgrade path perspective, id look at am3 but as far as how intel has been handing it clock per clock against amd, and i was willing to wait, id just wait, and grab intel when the price settles to a reasonable level/bugs get worked out

spynoodle

Did you guys here Paul Otellini's comment on Sandy Bridge?
I am more excited about Sandy Bridge than I have been about any product that the company has launched in a number of years.
Link to one of the articles about it here: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-20010470-64.html
Seems like Intel's really excited about it. Otellini could just be trying to produce hype, and it could actually be really bad, but who knows? Maybe it's going to be better than I first expected.

El Gappo

That's legit info. I think he grabbed it straight from the server rep on OCN forums lol.

The first one will be the 4module/8threaded cpu for desktops with the 8/16 going straight into the servers. It will be out early next year which sucks for forum wars but they've mentioned early Q1 and it's not beyond AMD to release it early to make the last quarter look better ala 5*** series release. We might see 2010 after all.

I just want to know how it will handle super pi if I'm honest :D