Your thoughts on windows 8?

MattN

i just downloaded it today and started using it. its alright i just hate fullscreen apps they always make me mad. is there anything cool about the new os that i should know? any thoughts on it and any issues?

User0one

It depends on the Hardware. On old Desktop type Computers I thought 8 sucked.

I suppose the new Windows 8 Tablets and Laptops with Touch Screens it will be great.

I really can't see upgrading old Windows Hardware to 8 though.

FuryRosewood

Windows 8 is less taxing on old hardware cus they removed aero. I dont really like the UI but i see that being a good thing without aero, though i liked the effects...so eh i dunno im on the fence. I dont really care for Win8 and we have been testing on it alot lately.

Aastii

VIP Member
Windows 8 is less taxing on old hardware cus they removed aero. I dont really like the UI but i see that being a good thing without aero, though i liked the effects...so eh i dunno im on the fence. I dont really care for Win8 and we have been testing on it alot lately.

If it still has the aero features, not the graphics, I will be happy. If they have taken it all out, I will be a sad panda.

Either way I will be getting it when preorders come up just for the lower price and to have a play with. Will see if it is like Vista where people bitch about it but it is really a very, very good OS

Animisk1

Does anyone know what the requirements are for running Windows 8. In terms of memory, and functionality. I have a Gateway with a quad core and 4gigs of memory is this compatible? Furthermore is it worth the time to try the beta version or just wait?

lucasbytegenius

Does anyone know what the requirements are for running Windows 8. In terms of memory, and functionality. I have a Gateway with a quad core and 4gigs of memory is this compatible? Furthermore is it worth the time to try the beta version or just wait?
Should totally work. And if it doesn't take a week to download, then the beta version is worth testing imo. It comes out on the 26th officially.

claptonman

Absolutely. I had it on a laptop with a P4 and 512mb of RAM. Ran better than XP.

DMGrier

VIP Member
I am sure it does run great, but the U/I sucks, I find myself working harder to switch back and forth between task then in any other OS.

Voyagerfan99 and Spirit I applaud you for trying to stop another Windows 8 thread but it looks like it might be a fail. This one may be interesting cause like Spirit said Most say Windows 7 is better but in this thread Windows 8 is getting a lot of love which I find odd cause I am not a huge fan of Windows anyway but I really do hate Windows 8 due to functionality, I guess I might have to give it another try.

I also find it weird that M$ is releasing W8 on the same day as the release of Ubuntu 12.10, sure it really doesn't matter but there is something behind this.

spirit

Staff member
People only seem to like it because it runs well on older hardware, and I don't really see the point for another thread about Windows 8 when several already exist.

wolfeking

banned
I personally do not like windows 8. I mean sure it ran fine on basic hardware for a laptop when I tried it (Athlon II x2, HD4250, 3GB DDR2, 250GB HDD (7200RPM), wireless, broadcom ethernet (10/100) ) But the usefulness of the system was not there for me. To me a computer should just be useful. You should fire it up and immediately know what you are doing. Never before have I ever had to search for the off button.

It might be good on old hardware, but I will stick to 2K/XP and Linux. The windows thing is old to me. It has lost my confidence for all time. And the minute games start natively working outside windows, then I will never use it again.

spirit

Staff member
But the usefulness of the system was not there for me. To me a computer should just be useful. You should fire it up and immediately know what you are doing. Never before have I ever had to search for the off button.
Oh God I remember trying the Dev about a year ago and had to search long and hard for the Shut Down button. "Metro UI has made Windows easier to use" my arse.

That is one of the many reasons why I don't like W8, my other views are probably in those other threads Voyager dug out.

wolfeking

banned
I know. It might be easier for some people, but I don't see how you can get easier than Start -> off like it has been since the FAT16 days.

spirit

Staff member
It would be nice we didn't need to use third-party software in order to get the Start Menu back. :(

wolfeking

banned
Those are nice, but I have to agree. I don't like the fact of having to use a third party app to get a basic menu to use.