Your worst experience

aviation_man

Hey guys, thought we can have an on topic thread that may actually help people in the future.

Post your worst computer experience you had (or experiencing for that matter lol ) and how you fixed it and how mad you were. (scale of 1 to 10, 10 being worst)

For me it was probably when I got my new rig and I put it back together and stuck in the XP install cd and it didn't work and it only led me to some other crap and I dealt with it for hours. Turns out the CD was corrupted (legit CD, I was pissed). And also when I tried many many times to install a new operating system, but when it was done with installing and it was time for the OS to load it didn't. Turns out I had my HDMI plugged into my TV and the display was on my TV and my monitor was my secondary display... lol Both of those I was probably a 5 on the scale..

Twist86

Bought a VGA cooler that said 7600GT on the site...ended up lowest was 7900GS

Simple RMA and the after thought that tech people truly are stupid.

This was 4-5 years ago before I got into the forum and started to learn.

One of the biggest things I learned is...tech people are idiots and are not to be trusted. Unless they can argue with you on PC builds.

linkin

VIP Member
The worst thing that happened was buying a mobo that was incompatible with my cpu...
7/10, becuase i had everything else ready to go.

E Money

Went with a friend and bought a CPU, only to find out his old CPU worked just fine and it was the PSU. Brought the CPU back to frys 2 hours later and they said they couldnt refund him because of a 'scratch'.
10/10 and it wasnt even my pain...

aviation_man

Went with a friend and bought a CPU, only to find out his old CPU worked just fine and it was the PSU. Brought the CPU back to frys 2 hours later and they said they couldnt refund him because of a 'scratch'.
10/10 and it wasnt even my pain...

That would piss me off too...

There's nothing worse than tech guys that don't know jack...

I go around walmart asking some tech questions to the electronics department just to test their knowledge and it's like 1 out 15 people that work there actually know what they're doing... lol

kazkepox

That would piss me off too...

There's nothing worse than tech guys that don't know jack...

I go around walmart asking some tech questions to the electronics department just to test their knowledge and it's like 1 out 15 people that work there actually know what they're doing... lol

QFT

I asked for the specs on a laptop and I went through like three people just to know how much ram and and memory it had, which the person did'nt halfway know anyways...

aviation_man

lolz.
I would say "how much memory does it have?" and they'd reply "it has 250GB" and I'm like "......"
I love it how they hire non-qualified workers to maintain the electronics. Most of them probably don't even own a computer :p

Getting OT here.. lol
Any bad computer experience, kazkepox?

aviation_man

I was so excited for my first build. Finally all the pieces came in and I realized I forgot to get a video card.
That's not that bad though. Just a week or so without my almost otherwise finished build.

Otherwise, my other job recently killing XP ;), but it was mine anyway.
http://www.computerforum.com/158317-xp-wrecked.html

No onboard graphics?

The day I bought an AMD rig and an Intel cooler which was advertised as AMD on the website.

^Those losers.. lol. Did you get your money back?

Hugh9191

^Those losers.. lol. Did you get your money back?

Nah - it was an online service so I would have to post it and it was heavy (as it's a heatsync). They would accept returns on stuff if it the packaging hadn't been damaged and I broke the top of the packaging while opening it (I only realised when trying to fit it to the board that it wouldn't fit) and they would charge a 10 quid handling fee if it wasn't eligible for returns so I just bought a cheap one from maplin! Far easier! :D

just a noob

ordered a waterblock from performance-pcs.com, ordered on thursday, and it still hasn't shipped :mad: sidewinders on the other hand, i ordered there on saturday, and its been shipped today...

OvenMaster

VIP Member
My worst experience with a PC was when I had my old Win95 machine.
My Microsoft mouse was using generic drivers, so I changed to the driver from MS and rebooted.
When Windows started up again, the mouse wouldn't work at all, so I tried to reinstall the old driver from the OS CD in Safe Mode.
That's when I found out the hard way that Win95 Safe Mode does NOT work with CD-ROMs!
I couldn't do anything else except reinstall Windows and everything from scratch, losing tons of stored stuff in the process.

The good thing I learned is that now I copy all my OS files to another folder on my hard drive just to be able to access them for reasons exactly like this!

Fatback

VIP Member
I think I got the mother of all hardware problems

This was about a year ago anyways I was working and guy came in wanted me to build him a computer I was like no problem so he gives me the money I think it was around $700 later that day I order the parts off of newegg. The parts get to my shop a several days later and I put the computer together and try to fire it up nothing turns on so.

I start trouble shooting the problem 2 hours later I have tested everything motherboard, RAM, PSU, CPU, GPU, HDD, HSF, CD/DVD drive so I finely test the parts one by one in another computer. RAM was first no good wouldn't boot I was like ok problem solved I was wrong. Install some new RAM in the original motherboard still no boot up. So I test the PSU in another machine works fine. Test the CD/DVD drive it worked fine. Tested the HDD it was dead that made for the HDD and RAM dead. So I test the GPU in another system it dead to. So the only thing left is the mobo and CPU I put all different parts in the motherboard CPU, RAM, GPU the mobo doesn't work either. I tested the CPU in another PC it was bad to.

Come to find out everything is DOA but the PSU, and CD/DVD drive I spent about 6 hours messing with that computer. I called newegg and they where nice about it they RMA'ed everything and put a extra $50 on my account. The new parts got here same parts as before this time the GPU was dead again everything else was good I call newegg and they didn't wont to RMA the GPU I'm on the phone with them for about an hour and finally they issue me an RMA and credit $10 to my account.

All in all it was pretty bad experience probably about a 9/10 but I made $60 so not I total wast of my time.

Last edited: