Z97 anniversary (ASROCK) refuses to enter BIOS! Help!

mistersprinkles

I was running my Z97 anniversary with 4GB of RAM, G3258 and no GPU. I just upgraded to a 4790K, 8GB of RAM, and a GTX 980. Everythings working but it refuses to enter the UEFI bios... what the hell is going on?

I am on the latest BIOS. Help appreciated.

mistersprinkles

I tried removing the bios battery and resetting the jumper. That didnt work so I removed the GPU and plugged back into the onboard video and got into bios. Configured it how I liked it, then put the GPU back in, and now with the GPU installed and the video output from the GPU it AGAIN refuses to enter bios.

To be clear, im not sure if it actually is entering bios. I get a black screen. Windows does not boot, so something is happening, but if I AM in the bios I dont know it because I have a blank screen.

Laquer Head

Some mobo you need to manually change, in BIOS, to tell it that you are using integrated or dedicated gpu. My MSI Gaming 3 z97 was like that, you had to manually change it. Take out the 980, plug into mobo hdmi, and then see if you can get into BIOS and possibly there is setting for you to make change to dedicated.save..turn off, reinstall 980, and see if that works

mistersprinkles

Yes of course.

***I just noticed something- it's not just the bios the GPU won't show. I can't see anything outside of windows, period. I see the boot screen for the motherboard, then I get no windows splash screen, then I'm in windows.

Tried running AVAST antivirus boot time scan. The scan ran, but the entire time it was running I had a blank screen. No video outside of windows... what the hell? If I plug into the integrated video while the GPU is installed I get no picture. The GPU must be out of the slot and I must be plugged into integrated to get a signal for bios/outside windows activities.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If I plug into the integrated video while the GPU is installed I get no picture.
You won't. Dedicated video card takes over when installed and there is onboard video as well. Unless your motherboard supports running both, most don't. Doesn't look like yours does.

Can you try a different video card just to test?

mistersprinkles

I dont have another GPU... this is quite a pickle... I cant be removing the GPU every time I want to enter UEFI or run MEMTEST or a boot scan... I need solutions.

beers

Staff member
Do you get the same behavior when selecting 'boot into UEFI Firmware' from within Windows?

beers

Staff member
I dont understand the question?
The -only- way I can get into my UEFI settings when using a UEFI setup with Windows is to do the previous link and do an 'advanced restart' here:

P5Jd9kl.png

Laquer Head

...and another thing..

I remember when you just installed your crude rams sticks, and let er fly... now you hard pressed to find ram without layer of thermal shit, protective shit..whatever happened to just letting the sticks burn themselves out...that was the natural way!!

..im done

mistersprinkles

UPDATE- I borrowed a DVI to HDMI cable to use the DVI out on the card. I had a video signal but again was unable to see the bios despite the system clearly entering the bios. I guess my only options now are

A) Buy a proper monitor and use DP or DVI to display
or
B) Update the bios chips on the GPU

What are everyone's thoughts on how to proceed?