Geeksquad

Fatback

VIP Member
So last week my grandma gives me a call tells me something is wrong with her computer so I go over there. Corrupted files was on it causing it to not boot so I reinstall windows everything is doing fine until the computer shuts it self down so I restart and same message is coming up. So I reinstalled windows a couple more time each time using a different disk and product key(I have access to lots of disks and product key because I work at a computer shop). Each time the same thing came up after the computer shut down so I started trouble shooting the problem tried some different RAM plus tested old RAM same problem still happens. I had I different CPU to fit the socket so I threw it in there updated the bios. Not 5 minutes after the computer shut it self down again.

So I switched the PSU with an older Antec one I had same thing happened. I switched every part of that computer out and every time I got the same message. The hard drive is the only thing I couldn't test because I didn't have another one and I didn't have enough time to test it because the computer wouldn't say on long enough.

So the computer is a E-Machines got it from best buy September 14 of last year so it's not even a year old yet. My grandma payed for a 2 year warranty so if she had any problems she could get it fixed for free. So we take it down to best buy last Thursday they do a couple test right there tell us it might be 3 weeks before we get it back so I was like that's fine. So I go back to my house get one of the 20 computer out of my basement and put some RAM in it and install windows XP so she will have a computer because she needs one for banking and she likes to play hearts and solitaire. Anyways back to the story so best buy called to day told her it was going to cost $130 to have it fixed this really steamed me up since she had a warranty on it and the thing is only 11 months old. So they tell her the system is corrupted well you think so she asked him how is it corrupted he said well it's corrupted she said I know that but how he never answered her back.

They wont her to pay $130 and I don't even know what for they are supposed to call back today and I'm going to talk to them. My guess is they won't her to pay for a new copy of windows vista because there going to try and say the the software is not included in the warranty. Screw that I got my own vista disks I have 5 disks each with 30 copy's of vista on them that I use for my shop not only that but I go XP disks to. Their not going to pull one over on me. My only guess is it is the hard drive because that is the only thing I didn't test well that and the motherboard. So I will probably get into a big argument with :gun: geek squad and just bring the computer back order a new hard drive and install Vista or XP or Windows 7RC depending on which one she wont's. :gun: Geek squad is a joke I know more about computers then all of them put together. They know nothing about how to fix a computer and just look for a way to make money.

What do you guys/girls think is wrong with the computer I'm not much of a software guy I'm a hardware person but I'm not stupid either I know it's not the OS, PSU, RAM, CPU. All that leaves is the HDD and mobo right is there any thing I could of over looked.

Sorry the post is so long lol this really steamed me up.

Laquer Head

I don't have a specific answer for your issue but I would look into getting the warranty money she paid back!

I had a friend that got a similar warranty for supposed 'full coverage' from "Best Buy" and when her $1799.99 HP laptop crapped out--they tried to replace it with some hunk of shit home brand which was closer in value to $999.99.

Thankfully she was suspicious and called us and me and 2 buddies went with her, spoke to the store manager and said that we wanted a refund for the warranty coverage since it hasn't been used, was paid at point of sale, and is not being honored.

We got the run-around until we said that we wanted to speak to head office or have a district manager on the phone...then 5 minutes later she was refunded the cost of the warranty--and we left.

She is now dealing with HP directly, and by the way..they have been very helpful and offered to take in the laptop to their depot--at no charge to analyze and diagnose the issue.

Bottom line...raise some shit, and get her dough back for the bogus warranty! Those things are complete scams and are not honored or if they are--they try to short change you and turn things around to make it like its your fault.

Best luck with this..been there..done that...F*** Bestbuy and those types of shops!

Build custom--it's better, more fun, cheaper, and you get real parts--not oem/low quality, bargain basement trash!

Concordedly

Corrupted files was on it causing it to not boot so I reinstall windows everything is doing fine until the computer shuts it self down so I restart and same message is coming up.

What's the error message please?

If it's prior to boot, I think it would suggest BIOS, but I'm not a big BIOS guy. But having the actual message it says would be extremely helpful.

Best luck with this..been there..done that...F*** Bestbuy and those types of shops!

I find CircuitCity is alright, but Bestbuy is sh**. :)

Last edited:

Fatback

VIP Member
I don't have a specific answer for your issue but I would look into getting the warranty money she paid back!

I had a friend that got a similar warranty for supposed 'full coverage' from "Best Buy" and when her $1799.99 HP laptop crapped out--they tried to replace it with some hunk of shit home brand which was closer in value to $999.99.

Thankfully she was suspicious and called us and me and 2 buddies went with her, spoke to the store manager and said that we wanted a refund for the warranty coverage since it hasn't been used, was paid at point of sale, and is not being honored.

We got the run-around until we said that we wanted to speak to head office or have a district manager on the phone...then 5 minutes later she was refunded the cost of the warranty--and we left.

She is now dealing with HP directly, and by the way..they have been very helpful and offered to take in the laptop to their depot--at no charge to analyze and diagnose the issue.

Bottom line...raise some shit, and get her dough back for the bogus warranty! Those things are complete scams and are not honored or if they are--they try to short change you and turn things around to make it like its your fault.

Build custom--it's better, more fun, cheaper, and you get real parts--not oem/low quality, bargain basement trash!

Well she hasn't payed any money yet and if I have anything to do with it she won't. I told her when she bought the computer that I could build her one cheaper and still have a warranty for every part of the computer but she wanted one that day so we went to best buy.

Sounds like the motherboard to me. I don't think the hard disk would cause it to turn itself off.

Yea I was thinking the same thing but seems to me if it was the motherboard it wouldn't work at all I have never had a motherboard that did that usually they work fine or don't work at all.

What's the error message please?

If it's prior to boot, I think it would suggest BIOS, but I'm not a big BIOS guy. But having the actual message it says would be extremely helpful.

I find CircuitCity is alright, but Bestbuy is sh**. :)

I don't know what error message is since I don't have the computer right now I'm not sure if it's the bios because I did do I bio update when I installed the other CPU.

I live in North Carolina and all the CircuitCitys have closed down I don't know if that's the case everywhere else.

Last edited:

Laquer Head

So the computer is a E-Machines got it from best buy September 14 of last year so it's not even a year old yet. My grandma payed for a 2 year warranty so if she had any problems she could get it fixed for free...

Anyways back to the story so best buy called to day told her it was going to cost $130 to have it fixed this really steamed me up since she had a warranty on it and the thing is only 11 months old..

Well she hasn't payed any money yet and if I have anything to do with it she won't...

Did I miss something here? I thought she DID pay for warranty?

You should get that back for here---services paid for and not delivered!

Fatback

VIP Member
Did I miss something here? I thought she DID pay for warranty?

You should get that back for here---services paid for and not delivered!

Oh I see what your saying your asking if she paid for the warranty then yea I thought your where saying that she paid for the money to have it fixed.

Laquer Head

Oh I see what your saying your asking if she paid for the warranty then yea I thought your where saying that she paid for the money to have it fixed.

Yeah exactly, I'm recommending to try to get back her money on the warranty, and obviously not to pay anything more for 'further service'.

Best luck eh..I'm annoyed for you guys..I have real issues with the 'big-box' places!

tlarkin

VIP Member
So last week my grandma gives me a call tells me something is wrong with her computer so I go over there. Corrupted files was on it causing it to not boot so I reinstall windows everything is doing fine until the computer shuts it self down so I restart and same message is coming up. So I reinstalled windows a couple more time each time using a different disk and product key(I have access to lots of disks and product key because I work at a computer shop). Each time the same thing came up after the computer shut down so I started trouble shooting the problem tried some different RAM plus tested old RAM same problem still happens. I had I different CPU to fit the socket so I threw it in there updated the bios. Not 5 minutes after the computer shut it self down again.

sounds like it is over heating.

So I switched the PSU with an older Antec one I had same thing happened. I switched every part of that computer out and every time I got the same message. The hard drive is the only thing I couldn't test because I didn't have another one and I didn't have enough time to test it because the computer wouldn't say on long enough.

I have seen things like this happen before and it was the case. The case was grounding out the system and flexing under heat and causing it to shut down and fry parts.

So the computer is a E-Machines got it from best buy September 14 of last year so it's not even a year old yet. My grandma payed for a 2 year warranty so if she had any problems she could get it fixed for free. So we take it down to best buy last Thursday they do a couple test right there tell us it might be 3 weeks before we get it back so I was like that's fine. So I go back to my house get one of the 20 computer out of my basement and put some RAM in it and install windows XP so she will have a computer because she needs one for banking and she likes to play hearts and solitaire. Anyways back to the story so best buy called to day told her it was going to cost $130 to have it fixed this really steamed me up since she had a warranty on it and the thing is only 11 months old. So they tell her the system is corrupted well you think so she asked him how is it corrupted he said well it's corrupted she said I know that but how he never answered her back.

That is normal. No warranty covers software and that is standard across the board. There are too many things a user can do to screw up a system software wise that no one covers it. Warranties only cover parts and labor even extended warranties.

They wont her to pay $130 and I don't even know what for they are supposed to call back today and I'm going to talk to them. My guess is they won't her to pay for a new copy of windows vista because there going to try and say the the software is not included in the warranty. Screw that I got my own vista disks I have 5 disks each with 30 copy's of vista on them that I use for my shop not only that but I go XP disks to. Their not going to pull one over on me. My only guess is it is the hard drive because that is the only thing I didn't test well that and the motherboard. So I will probably get into a big argument with :gun: geek squad and just bring the computer back order a new hard drive and install Vista or XP or Windows 7RC depending on which one she wont's. :gun: Geek squad is a joke I know more about computers then all of them put together. They know nothing about how to fix a computer and just look for a way to make money.

I really hope you don't work for an OEM system's builder and are abusing your site license OSes. Microsoft will sue your company and pull their license. Even if you have an MSDN subscription you should really be careful with your companies software licenses, and you aren't legally allowed to install it on non company computers.

What do you guys/girls think is wrong with the computer I'm not much of a software guy I'm a hardware person but I'm not stupid either I know it's not the OS, PSU, RAM, CPU. All that leaves is the HDD and mobo right is there any thing I could of over looked.

Sorry the post is so long lol this really steamed me up.

Use deductive logic and trial and error. Back up all data, and then start figuring out what it is not. If it errors out during an OS load, it is likely you are using a cracked OS disk and the DRM is freaking out, or you are running into hardware issues. OS installs are CPU, RAM and HD intensive, so those are the most likely culprits. If it is shutting off by itself after a few minutes I would suspect something is over heating, or your sensor on your motherboard which detects temperature is crapped out.

You just need to start somewhere and start troubleshooting it.

Fatback

VIP Member
Best buy just called said they re-checked the HDD and it was fine said it had to be a software issue but there is no way it's the OS I used 3 different vista disks and a XP disk.

So yall think it is the motherboard that sound about right random shut downs corrupt files yea that is probably it.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Best buy just called said they re-checked the HDD and it was fine said it had to be a software issue but there is no way it's the OS I used 3 different vista disks and a XP disk.

So yall think it is the motherboard that sound about right random shut downs corrupt files yea that is probably it.

Did you use the original software restore disks that came with the computer?

Fatback

VIP Member
sounds like it is over heating.

I have seen things like this happen before and it was the case. The case was grounding out the system and flexing under heat and causing it to shut down and fry parts.

That is normal. No warranty covers software and that is standard across the board. There are too many things a user can do to screw up a system software wise that no one covers it. Warranties only cover parts and labor even extended warranties.

I really hope you don't work for an OEM system's builder and are abusing your site license OSes. Microsoft will sue your company and pull their license. Even if you have an MSDN subscription you should really be careful with your companies software licenses, and you aren't legally allowed to install it on non company computers.

Use deductive logic and trial and error. Back up all data, and then start figuring out what it is not. If it errors out during an OS load, it is likely you are using a cracked OS disk and the DRM is freaking out, or you are running into hardware issues. OS installs are CPU, RAM and HD intensive, so those are the most likely culprits. If it is shutting off by itself after a few minutes I would suspect something is over heating, or your sensor on your motherboard which detects temperature is crapped out.

You just need to start somewhere and start troubleshooting it.

It's not over heating that was the first thing I check I installed 2 120mm fans in it a while back.

I work for a local computer shop which I run but do not own my boss is the owner but he puts me in charge of everything including money. We buy all of our OS's off of newegg so they belong to us. And yes my boss doesn't have a problem with me using them.

Best has called and told me all hardware is fine and that it is a software problem which I don't see how but ok. I told them to do what they do and fix it an I will pay the $130 but when I get the computer home and I install everything and it does the same thing again I will take it back and get my money and they will replace the computer for free.

They also said without the warrant the price would be $200 so I guess the warranty is saving me some money but still I installed a new OS and ever formatted the hard drive and installed XP I still don't think it is the software.

tlarkin

VIP Member
It's not over heating that was the first thing I check I installed 2 120mm fans in it a while back.

The case fans wouldn't affect that, it would be the heat sink and fan since it reads the temp off of the CPU. Make sure it is seated properly, with thermal paste and that the heat sink fan is working.

I work for a local computer shop which I run but do not own my boss is the owner but he puts me in charge of everything including money. We buy all of our OS's off of newegg so they belong to us. And yes my boss doesn't have a problem with me using them.

That doesn't matter. You need to read the EULA of OEM software. You could get sued, and I am willing to be Microsoft has way more lawyers than your company. I have seen MS file suite against local companies too, that were just local computer shops.

Best has called and told me all hardware is fine and that it is a software problem which I don't see how but ok. I told them to do what they do and fix it an I will pay the $130 but when I get the computer home and I install everything and it does the same thing again I will take it back and get my money and they will replace the computer for free.

They also said without the warrant the price would be $200 so I guess the warranty is saving me some money but still I installed a new OS and ever formatted the hard drive and installed XP I still don't think it is the software.

No such things as a free lunch and you gotta pay for services. If I step foot in your home or business I bill you minimum 1 hour, which is $100. That is just for me showing up. I don't get how the warranty is saving you any money, warranties only cover parts and labor for replacing parts. Unless they installed a part under warranty you aren't saving any money.

What you need to do is probably just get your grandma out of eMachines and either build her an entry level desktop and you support it for her since you work with computers, or you need to get her into something prebuilt but again you support it.

Out of all the companies I have ever dealt with, I would say GeekSquad is one of the lower quality ones. When I was doing independent contract work (actually sub contracting) for an on site IT company I would have to clean up a lot of Geek Squad messes, and they charged more than me in some cases which blew my mind.

When I was doing warranty tech work I don't think I could even get parts for eMachines we had to ship them out, because they did not do labor reimbursements on warranty work.

Concordedly

I think Best Buy has pretty much closed down circuit city nationwide, but I think some stores still exist. It was like that in Iowa. CC was the best ever and then BB came in and CC lost business. Still makes me wonder how our 'American Entertainment' store is still open though. They do stellar financing but are overpriced.

Anyway, yeah, I'm agreeing with the Mobo. No software issues that I can think of.

Fatback

VIP Member
The case fans wouldn't affect that, it would be the heat sink and fan since it reads the temp off of the CPU. Make sure it is seated properly, with thermal paste and that the heat sink fan is working.

That doesn't matter. You need to read the EULA of OEM software. You could get sued, and I am willing to be Microsoft has way more lawyers than your company. I have seen MS file suite against local companies too, that were just local computer shops.

No such things as a free lunch and you gotta pay for services. If I step foot in your home or business I bill you minimum 1 hour, which is $100. That is just for me showing up. I don't get how the warranty is saving you any money, warranties only cover parts and labor for replacing parts. Unless they installed a part under warranty you aren't saving any money.

What you need to do is probably just get your grandma out of eMachines and either build her an entry level desktop and you support it for her since you work with computers, or you need to get her into something prebuilt but again you support it.

Out of all the companies I have ever dealt with, I would say GeekSquad is one of the lower quality ones. When I was doing independent contract work (actually sub contracting) for an on site IT company I would have to clean up a lot of Geek Squad messes, and they charged more than me in some cases which blew my mind.

When I was doing warranty tech work I don't think I could even get parts for eMachines we had to ship them out, because they did not do labor reimbursements on warranty work.

If it was the case why would it happen all of the sudden wouldn't that had happened from the beginning. It's not the HSF I got a zalman 9500 on there with some MX-2 and temps are/where about 33C.

I see what your saying about Microsoft but how can they do that If the software was payed with the shops money shouldn't the shop be able to use it for what ever reason.

I have been trying to get her to let me build her a computer but she won't let me until she has no other reason as long as she can get by with what she's got then she won't fork any money over for another computer.

Do you think I should get the computer back and call E-Machines to see if they will do anything.

I understand that nothing is free but they wont me to pay $130 for a OS that I can get free or cheaper off of newegg and do it myself I just think it a bunch of bull and they don't know what there doing so they just picked the software problem so they could get some money. I think the reason it is $200 without warranty because the warranty is paying for the labor but not the software.

tlarkin

VIP Member
I see what your saying about Microsoft but how can they do that If the software was payed with the shops money shouldn't the shop be able to use it for what ever reason.

Read your EULA, you do not own the software you purchased you are technically leasing it via a license purchase. It is all legal speak, but OEM software is bound to the first machine you install it on, and you are NOT allowed to transfer it to another machine. All it takes is one audit.

I have been trying to get her to let me build her a computer but she won't let me until she has no other reason as long as she can get by with what she's got then she won't fork any money over for another computer.

I think at this point there are too many factors. You should ask for it back with out paying for it and then start a process of elimination and see what part is causing this. They are saying it is software and they have a standard set of diagnostics they run, you are all over the place and you say it is hardware. It is kind of confusing to be honest.

I say get it back and start over and try to figure out what is causing it. That is just what I would do though.

Cleric7x9

sorry if this has been mentioned, but i didnt read all the long posts in the thread. sounds like it is overheating. when it shuts off, does the whole machine shut off or does it just reboot?

check thermal paste and make sure the heatsink and hsf are properly installed.

Fatback

VIP Member
Read your EULA, you do not own the software you purchased you are technically leasing it via a license purchase. It is all legal speak, but OEM software is bound to the first machine you install it on, and you are NOT allowed to transfer it to another machine. All it takes is one audit.

I think at this point there are too many factors. You should ask for it back with out paying for it and then start a process of elimination and see what part is causing this. They are saying it is software and they have a standard set of diagnostics they run, you are all over the place and you say it is hardware. It is kind of confusing to be honest.

I say get it back and start over and try to figure out what is causing it. That is just what I would do though.

Well the reason I say it's the hardware is because I did or though I did eliminate any software issue by wiping the hard drive and installing XP from the OEM disc that came with it and even use a brand new Vista Home premium and a Vista basic. They are saying they can't find any hardware problems so it has to be the software. I really don't know what to think I just know that I'm going to pay $130 to them for her since i don't wont her paying any money until I check it out and make sure everything is fine.

I will probably build her a new computer for Christmas so I don't have to ever go through this again.

tlarkin

VIP Member
sorry if this has been mentioned, but i didnt read all the long posts in the thread. sounds like it is overheating. when it shuts off, does the whole machine shut off or does it just reboot?

check thermal paste and make sure the heatsink and hsf are properly installed.

I already suggested that but the OP says it is not over heating. That was my 1st guess.