1 vs. 2

Which one?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Geoff

VIP Member
Rambo said:
Well, I don't understand why people are choosing the AMD Athlon 64 over the Pentium D 805 Dual Core....

If you read that link I posted earlier on, it says that the Intel (when Overclocked) is close to (or beats, not sure...) an Athlon FX-60!

If this thing, when overclocked to 4.1 Ghz can perform like an Athlon FX-60, I'm sure that if you were to clock it to about 3.5 Ghz, you're going to be getting much better performance all round than the AMD Athon 64 3000+.

Oh, and btw, I have the AMD Athlon 64 3500+, and I'd recommend just buying the 3000+ if you go for the AMD build... It wont take much to overclock it to 3500+ speeds.
That very well may be true, but overclocking to 4.1Ghz isnt a guarantee, it largly depends on the stepping you have of the cpu, your motherboard, and your other parts. It's like not getting a job because you think you'll win the lottery:rolleyes:

Rambo

I'm definately not telling monkeysims to start overclocking the Pentium D 805 to 4.1 Ghz...

That would HUGELY degrade it's life span, maybe to 2 or 3 years!! That would be silly...

But since the CPU is able to reach 4.1 Ghz (and when at that speed, is comparable to an Athlon FX-60), it'll most likely reach 3.4/5/6 Ghz on a normal to semi-decent motherboard. Now, IMO, if the Pentium D 805 was running at around 3.5 Ghz it'd outperform an Athlon 64 3000+ with ease...

Jet

VIP Member
Rambo said:
I'm definately not telling monkeysims to start overclocking the Pentium D 805 to 4.1 Ghz...

That would HUGELY degrade it's life span, maybe to 2 or 3 years!! That would be silly...

But since the CPU is able to reach 4.1 Ghz (and when at that speed, is comparable to an Athlon FX-60), it'll most likely reach 3.4/5/6 Ghz on a normal to semi-decent motherboard. Now, IMO, if the Pentium D 805 was running at around 3.5 Ghz it'd outperform an Athlon 64 3000+ with ease...

Exactly why I voted #2 and I am totally clueless why #1 has more votes. An 805 at 3.4 (950 speeds) will be close to a 3200+ at 2.4 (4000+ speeds) in gaming, and will CREAM the 3200+ in any more multitasking type of test, since you have the extra cores. It is funny why we are still debating dual vs. single core when quad is on the way.

Last edited:

m0nk3ys1ms

i was only planning on clocking to like 3.4ghz on the 805, if i get it. and im also not going to get the 3000+, i think i'll get the 3200+. its only 3 bucks more.

Last edited:

m0nk3ys1ms

ive still got a week or so to decide (plan on ordering next weekend) im starting to lean more towards build 2 after reading all these links from Rambo. everybody keep your opinions coming. now im off to work, to earn my money for this stuff.

Skizzor

I wouldnt get a intel. I dont understand why you just put more ram in build 1 and since the conroe will be out you can get a better AMD processor.

Rambo

Well, I've done my part... I can't persuade you any more unless I spam you with more links, but I can't be bothered right now lol...

In the end, it's your decision ;)

MadModder

It was a relatively easy decision. There are so many "what if's" about getting a processor just to OC it, because of a review. What if you get a bad motherboard revision and it doesn't overclock well at all? What if your CPU can't get past 3GHz? What if, what if... Well, I still say #2, it's dual-core and is (possibly) extremely overclockable. You could definitely outperform any low-end A64 with the 805 @ 3.4GHz.

m0nk3ys1ms

i just sent the links to my uncle, who is going to help me put it all together, and see what he thinks. i talked him to him for a little while earlier and he said that the AMD chips are hard to beat.

Rambo

Well, it's 13 to 17 now...

I completely understand about the "What If..." situations though.

As I said, it's just down to you now. You have to make the decision. I'm sure it'll be a good build, no matter what you choose ;)

m0nk3ys1ms

i should be definatley ordering next Friday. ill probally get everything the next tuesday. i have about $200 now, and i should be getting around $125 next Friday.

Rambo

monkeysims said:
i should be definatley ordering next Friday. ill probally get everything the next tuesday. i have about $200 now, and i should be getting around $125 next Friday.

What build are you going to go with?

Status
Not open for further replies.