$1000 Build

danthrax

Hey guys,

Been a little while since I've been tooling around this forum!

I recently was hired at a company and am receiving a signing bonus. I'm taking ~$1000 of it and building a new PC for gaming and general home use. I mainly play Diablo III, BF3, and would like to be able to play current/future titles at pretty good settings.

- I'd like to use an i5 3570k (can pick one up at the local MicroCenter for $189)
- I'd like to use an SSD solely (or pair with ~500GB HDD if you guys think that'd be best)
- Looking at either a Radeon 7850 or GTX 560 (open to recommendations)
- 8GB RAM (G.Skill Ripjaws seem to be pretty popular and affordable)

If someone has time to make some recommendations it'd be greatly appreciated! Hopefully what I want can be done with ~$1000 (give or take $150 or so).

I do also need a monitor, mouse, and keyboard, but those do not need to be included in the $1000 budget as I've been saving a little extra for those)

Thanks a lot guys!

spirit

Staff member
Hey there, if you like I can have a go at configuring you a complete build for you if that's easier for you?

The 7850 is much faster than the 560. RipJaws RAM is great. :)

danthrax

Hey there, if you like I can have a go at configuring you a complete build for you if that's easier for you?

The 7850 is much faster than the 560. RipJaws RAM is great. :)

I'd certainly appreciate you configuring a build!

jonnyp11

I think the 2500k is on sale now and it s just as fast but overclocks better. You also need a copy of windows but looks good otherwise

danthrax

Thanks a lot spirit, that looks really good and perfect price range.

jonnyp11 - Could you maybe expand on any other benefits of choosing the 2500k? I've been leaning towards the 3570k but personally don't really know what the benefits of either would be! I know they use the same socket and I've heard from other sources the 2500k is easier to OC as well.

Any other big differences I should know about? I will google this too, I just know a lot of you are very knowledgeable so I trust your opinions.

spirit

Staff member
Well I have a 2500K myself and it's a fantastic processor, overclocks like a champ, fast, cheap(ish) and powerful. I only put the 3570K into that build because the 3570K is newer, but the 2500K is just as good.

You could get a GA-Z77X-UD3H motherboard and save money there, that and the 2500K would put the price of the hardware down to about $920ish I reckon, maybe cheaper.

jonnyp11

Thanks a lot spirit, that looks really good and perfect price range.

jonnyp11 - Could you maybe expand on any other benefits of choosing the 2500k? I've been leaning towards the 3570k but personally don't really know what the benefits of either would be! I know they use the same socket and I've heard from other sources the 2500k is easier to OC as well.

Any other big differences I should know about? I will google this too, I just know a lot of you are very knowledgeable so I trust your opinions.

Because the 3570k has a smaller die, there is less silicon between the little lines the electricity passes through, so the heat has less room to disipate, so it runs hotter once you start to overclock and overvolt it.

Benny Boy

As is it's $1156 shipped w/o HSF and you might find some ideas between the 2 builds.
Could use the $30 gc 4 days after purchase to get the Hyper 212. Up to you.
The case is $75 w/Eblast code or leaves $75 for the case you choose. Or if you like the 300r..
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1021001
..is the same price as ps/case linked below.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1040331
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber= 15190049

danthrax

Thanks for everyone's input. It's been very useful and enlightening.

I will certainly be able to compile this info and make a solid build!

I'll update you guys once I've got some items shipping my way.

azeem40

You don't need a very high OC to reap the benefits of Sandy and Ivy Bridge. On SB, 4.5 GHz is the max you should OC; on IB, the max is 4.2 GHz.

Okedokey

You don't need a very high OC to reap the benefits of Sandy and Ivy Bridge. On SB, 4.5 GHz is the max you should OC; on IB, the max is 4.2 GHz.

Lol 4.5GHz is easy, 5.0 on a SB is fine. You can go even higher on liquid.

spirit

Staff member

You can go way beyond 4.5GHz on SB, there are people here with SB chips clocked close to 5.0Hz with no problems, same with IB. Just make sure your cooling is sufficient and you can get some very high overclocks.

danthrax

Looking to order parts very soon.

My plan is to use a ~120GB or slightly more SSD. Is it necessary to pair this with a HDD?

I only need about 50-75GB total drive space for my games/files/etc.

thanks!

spirit

Staff member
If you only need 50-75GB for everything then just get the SSD, but sometimes having an HDD to go along with your SSD can be handy because you can put your files on the HDD and not use any space on the SSD and when you come to reinstall Windows eventually you won't have to worry about copying all your data over.

azeem40

You can go way beyond 4.5GHz on SB, there are people here with SB chips clocked close to 5.0Hz with no problems, same with IB. Just make sure your cooling is sufficient and you can get some very high overclocks.

I never said that you CAN'T. I said you SHOULDN'T because there is no worthwhile performance gain for doing so.