$1000 Build

spirit

Staff member
True, but that's not a reasonable reason.

Yeah I guess it's not. I suppose if you're going to be doing intensive number crunching or folding all day long on the CPU then a higher overclock would be beneficial.

danthrax

So I'm back from my wedding/honeymoon :)

Ordering some parts from newegg and purchasing other parts from the local Micro Center this week.

Any input on a good SSD to go with? I only need ~120GB, but will pay more for higher capacity if it is a good deal.

salvage-this

I am not sure if there is still the combo deals at microcenter but when I got my 3570k I paired it with the Z77X-UD5 and I got $50 off of the motherboard. So $189 for the CPU and $139 for the board. Best deal that I could find. I think in order to get the deal you will need to get an Ivy Bridge CPU with a Z77 board. A 2500K will not get the discount.

As far as the Sandy vs. Ivy Bridge debate I would stick with the 3570k. While it is true that it will run a bit hotter than the 2500k it will still OC into the 4.5GHz range easily. I am not sure of the exact performance difference but I know that Ivy is slightly faster than Sandy. So it is either a higher clock speed with a slightly slower architecture, or a slightly faster architecture and a lower clock speed (for a max OC anyway.)

Edit: One more thing. You will have to check but I think that some of the z77 boards can only use some of the features when used with an Ivy Bridge CPU. I know that I have a PCIx8 lane that is disabled when running Sandy Bridge and all of the other PCI Express lanes are in 2.1 rather than 3.0 when you use Sandy/Ivy.

Hope that helps a bit and welcome back!

Last edited:

danthrax

Alright guys, here is the final build list. I picked up most of the parts from MicroCenter and the remaining parts should be here Tues. 9/11/12.

I've done some more research through various avenues and feel good about this build :)

Here it is:

i5 - 3570k
msi 7850 2GB Twin Frozr
Corsair 550D Case
Corsair TX650M PSU
Corsair Vengeance 8GB - 1600 DDR3
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H LGA 1155
Samsung 830 Series 128GB SSD
Cooler Master Hyper 212+
Asus DVD drive

Peripherals:

23" LG IPS 235v
Microsoft Sidewinder X4
Gigabyte M6800 Optical Mouse
Cyberpower CP685 AVR

Looking forward to getting this up and running!

Thanks a lot for all the advice and input. It is valued immensely.

Okedokey

Because it doesn't give any benefits? Why would you do something that doesn't help you?

Bullcrap. The performance gains at 5.2GHz compared to 4.5GHz on a SLi system is huge. Plus if you do folding, or if you run multithreaded interations of anything really. I

Saying twice in this thread that there is no benefit of overclocking here is rediculous.

171fedfa_3dmark11total.png

azeem40

And you can gauge how helpful that is to the OP in gaming. Games work differently.

I will test it if you want me to.

wolfeking

banned
If you don't think overclocking SB or IB helps games you haven't got a clue.
I am not trying to argue either way, but I do not see any gains in BF3 @ 4.3GHz vs stock. However I am not running 1080p+ resolutions, so that is not to say that there is a place where it could benefit from OCing.

danthrax

Build is complete! Took me about 3 hours from start to finish (first time building).

Everything went flawlessly (except for one issue which I'll expand on below) and it started up the first time!

The one issue: I applied a little too much thermal paste onto the CPU. When I was seating the cooler, a small amount of that paste oozed over the side of the CPU. The paste did not get down to where the pins/socket are at all, just on the top part of the chip but off to the side (not the metal top of chip where it's supposed to be, but the silicon part). I removed the cooler and removed as much of the paste as I could, but there is still some there. Will this cause any issues?

Thanks!!

Another note:
Now if only I could get D3 to install... :)

Okedokey

Can do. I would remove it and use isproply alcohol to remove it off the chip.

Then reapply a small pea sized amount and reinstall.

azeem40

Im sorry but there is just so much evidence around showing that you're wrong its not funny. Just google it.

Oh, I have googled it and can show you where it doesn't help. BTW, settings of the GPU do not matter. It's funny how people think just because they have more posts they are smarter than the other. Not everything is explained through benchmarks. Logic plays into it too (referring to the settings of the GPU).

Okedokey

Oh, I have googled it and can show you where it doesn't help. BTW, settings of the GPU do not matter. It's funny how people think just because they have more posts they are smarter than the other. Not everything is explained through benchmarks. Logic plays into it too (referring to the settings of the GPU).

That doesn't even make sense. It has been shown over and over again that overclocks scale almost at a linear relationship, especially with multiple graphics cards.

I am not talking about benchmarks, I am talking about FPS increases of 20% or more by simply increasing the CPU frequency. This is common. An increase in 20% on FPS is huge, especially for low end machines where that makes a difference between playable and not playable in games. On mid-range machines it means you can crank up the eye-candy and still enjoy a smooth game play.

In terms of the GPU, which you are now talking about, even though we were originally talking about a the CPU (although they're linked thus the reason cpu overclocking helps), you are out of your mind if you think overclocking the GPU doesn't help.

I am starting to think you may be simply trolling, that is how far from reality your post is.

Because it doesn't give any benefits? Why would you do something that doesn't help you?

At 5GHz, the Core i5-3570K posted the fastest image editing score in the graphs, bettering the likes of the Core i7-3960X Extreme Edition by quite some margin. Interestingly, the boost was enough to better the Core i7-2600K in our video encoding test too - not bad considering the two CPUs were both clocked at 5GHz, yet the older CPU was equipped with hyper-threading. Arma II: Operation Arrowhead saw a hefty boost in frame rates over the stock speed numbers but the increase in Shogun 2: Total War CPU Test was nothing short of spectacular, with the Core i5-3570K coming top by a noticeable margin, clearly due to its higher clock speed over the Core i7-3770K .
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2012/05/01/intel-core-i5-3570k-cpu-review/8

But of course, it gives no benefits. LOL

Last edited:

claptonman

What made you assume I didn't think it helps games. It does, but not enough.

What do you mean, not enough? It's a free upgrade. If you know what you're doing, an overclock will not pose a single threat to breaking the chip or any other problems. Even on a stock cooler, most chips can get a nice .5ghz up.