Adonis Linux *Beta Testers Needed*

spynoodle

I just finished installing everything, and I like it. :) It's a good balance between lightweightness and usability. One thing I'd like to suggest is that you add in more GUI front-ends for terminal applications. For example, it would be nice to have grandr preinstalled the way it is in Crunchbang, and it would also be useful to have a built-in menu editor. I downloaded LXMenuEditor, and it seems to work well.

EDIT: Maybe I'm too used to Openbox. Perhaps I don't need a menu editor.

Last edited:

NyxCharon

I just finished installing everything, and I like it. :) It's a good balance between lightweightness and usability. One thing I'd like to suggest is that you add in more GUI front-ends for terminal applications. For example, it would be nice to have grandr preinstalled the way it is in Crunchbang, and it would also be useful to have a built-in menu editor. I downloaded LXMenuEditor, and it seems to work well.

EDIT: Maybe I'm too used to Openbox. Perhaps I don't need a menu editor.

Nope, xfce does everything automatically. You can right click and edit the menu that way as well. :)
VM or on HDD?

spynoodle

Nope, xfce does everything automatically. You can right click and edit the menu that way as well. :)
VM or on HDD?
HDD. It's running quite nicely on my sig rig. :) However, I've been having some trouble trying to get my dual monitor setup to keep its configuration upon reboot. I tried adding the xrandr script to a .xorgprofile file in my home directory, but it still won't load at boot. How do I get the system to recognize the script?

Also, btw, Thunar is an awesome file manager. It's one of the things I really like about Crunchbang. As another suggestion, for user-likability factor, you may want to preload it with the "Open Folder as Root" custom command. I just set it up, and I love having to do less terminal work. :p

NyxCharon

HDD. It's running quite nicely on my sig rig. :) However, I've been having some trouble trying to get my dual monitor setup to keep its configuration upon reboot. I tried adding the xrandr script to a .xorgprofile file in my home directory, but it still won't load at boot. How do I get the system to recognize the script?

Also, btw, Thunar is an awesome file manager. It's one of the things I really like about Crunchbang. As another suggestion, for user-likability factor, you may want to preload it with the "Open Folder as Root" custom command. I just set it up, and I love having to do less terminal work. :p

Did you try using the built in monitor tool? I'll add the open as root thing, i just forgot about it before releasing this. :p

spynoodle

Did you try using the built in monitor tool? I'll add the open as root thing, i just forgot about it before releasing this. :p
Glad I could help. :) I couldn't find anything in the built-in tool about non-mirrored dual monitors. Am I missing something?

NyxCharon

Glad I could help. :) I couldn't find anything in the built-in tool about non-mirrored dual monitors. Am I missing something?

Not sure, haven't played with it much. I have another monitor coming in a week or so (i hope) so i can play with duals again soon. :D

other news: The Ubuntu based version with gnome 3 and cinnamon will be released tomorrow. :D

spynoodle

Not sure, haven't played with it much. I have another monitor coming in a week or so (i hope) so i can play with duals again soon. :D

other news: The Ubuntu based version with gnome 3 and cinnamon will be released tomorrow. :D
Gotta love those dual monitors. :)

Weird thing: for some reason when I booted it up this morning, it had the dual monitor configuration set correctly, but the cursor kept displaying the loading symbol and anything I opened didn't have a top window panel, so I had to close each program from its file menu. :confused:

NyxCharon

Gotta love those dual monitors. :)

Weird thing: for some reason when I booted it up this morning, it had the dual monitor configuration set correctly, but the cursor kept displaying the loading symbol and anything I opened didn't have a top window panel, so I had to close each program from its file menu. :confused:

woah. Take a screenshot if it happens again. I won my monitor on ebay, so i'll have it up and running sometime soon to take a look at it. Which drivers are you using? The free ones or nividia?

NyxCharon

Final distro released.
Gnome 3/Cinnamon in Ubuntu 12.04. Unity has been purged from the system, if you were wondering.
rc3.jpg

rc2.jpg

Download:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/adonislinux/files/Adonis_Aurora_RC.iso/download

spynoodle

Cinnamon looks nice. :good: I'm using the "radeon" open-source driver, but I'm on my Win8 drive right now so I can't take a screenshot atm.

NyxCharon

I've begun development on what I'm calling a "Script Manager".
Basic principle is that for people who aren't very good with the terminal,etc or people who are just not in the mood to do something, can download a script that does it for you. The scripts will be user submitted and will go through a series of trials. It'll start at experimental, then testing, then stable. Each user can choose which ones they subscribe too. For instance, a script that will auto detect and setup graphics cards, or a tuner card, or even a sound card. Other things like cosmetic stuff is fine too. It'll be fairly similar to synaptic in design, but I'm hoping it will make peoples life much easier. I have the basic gui done, and am currently working on the networking sides of things. I should have a repository setup for adonis sometime this month which will be nice.

spynoodle

I've begun development on what I'm calling a "Script Manager".
Basic principle is that for people who aren't very good with the terminal,etc or people who are just not in the mood to do something, can download a script that does it for you. The scripts will be user submitted and will go through a series of trials. It'll start at experimental, then testing, then stable. Each user can choose which ones they subscribe too. For instance, a script that will auto detect and setup graphics cards, or a tuner card, or even a sound card. Other things like cosmetic stuff is fine too. It'll be fairly similar to synaptic in design, but I'm hoping it will make peoples life much easier. I have the basic gui done, and am currently working on the networking sides of things. I should have a repository setup for adonis sometime this month which will be nice.
That's a great idea. If you want to make Adonis user-friendly, this is definitely a good way to go. ;)

NyxCharon

Update: Adonis Linux is officially on the waiting list to get in. Will post if I hear more.

Also, a another server has been set up for this project. Will now be able to set up a repo for updates/packages. When it's ready I'll let everyone know.

Last edited:

NyxCharon

Updates:
Repository has been setup, and will slowly be populated with packages.
New logo has been made thanks to Troncoso
New installer will be ready for the debian version next week (hopefully)
Ubuntu version is going to see a lot of UI tweaks in the incoming week as well.
adonislogo.png

Last edited:

mihir

VIP Member
It was mentioned on Distrowatch. Excellent. Did you contact them or they did it themselves?