Ages of Computerforum.com

How old are you?

• Total voters

Super_Nova

Wow, when I was 16 windows 95 wasn't even out yet. I spent most of my computer time on my 386 logged in to a local BBS with a 2400 baud and eventually a 14400 baud modem and a DOS based Terminal Emulator Chating in a teleconference. It was all text based. The Internet wasn't even a concern. If I wanted some files or games I'd read over the local BBS list, which was passed on by word of mouth and floppy disk, and log on and search them for files. I heard rumors of the "information super highway" but I figured it would be a while before I got to see. The only way to email someone not on the local board was through Fidonet. And that was more like an email forum than a direct email system. My first taste of the internet was around that time. There was a local BBS offering a free preview of the internet because they were about to offer access. I downloaded Trumpet Winsock and some browser that I don't remember for Windows 3.1. I had to dial up with trumpet winsock manually and do the loginname/slip thing to log in. It was so cool back then. I could find anything i wanted with no ad banners! I filled my 386 up with pictures and stuff. That was around 1994. By 1997 I had full internet access, I had built my first computer, a 20 mhz 486 running windows 95. I bet most of you teenagers would get bored really quick to go back and chat the way we use to when we were 16.

smitherz

thats really cool. I don't think that i would be able to stand it though. I mean im only 17 so im used to a slight faster machine and at least a 56K modem.

Rambo

I doubt that person is that young as well. Look at their website and everything.

No, I disagree with that. That is a very easy site to make. It is automatically generated in php code. All you need is 20 minutes and a PHP Host. Infact, I have made a similar webpage when I used PHP-Nuke. The only thing they do to customize a site like that is download colour schemes and templates. Possibly also just make their own header. Peasy as Pie!! ;)

If ya don't believe me, go to his website and look right at the bottom....

Last edited:

ian

Administrator
Staff member
Well it is not a 100% accurate gauge of the membership of the site, as most people wont vote in this poll, but it is a good gauge of the regulars.

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
Here's an interesting fact:

posts2.jpg

The logarithmic plot of the number of posts of the first 400 posters is almost a linear graph (excepting the high posters)...
Any ideas why is that?

ian

Administrator
Staff member
what do the horizontal and vertical axis represent?
I should probably know.

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
Vertical: number of posts
Horizontal: member rank from 1 to 400 sorted by post number (1 = Praetor, 2 = me, 3 = Ian, 4 = 4W4K3, 5 = Zerox, etc.)

ian

Administrator
Staff member
Lorand said:
Vertical: number of posts
Horizontal: member rank from 1 to 400 sorted by post number (1 = Praetor, 2 = me, 3 = Ian, 4 = 4W4K3, 5 = Zerox, etc.)
dont think you sneaking up and moving into my number 2 spot went unnoticed :D

SFR

Truth fears no questions
Lorand said:

The logarithmic plot of the number of posts of the first 400 posters is almost a linear graph (excepting the high posters)...

Any ideas why is that?

The vertical axis is being shown by the power of 10.. 1 to 10 then 100 to 1000 and then 1000 to 10000... so we are not really seeing the true graph.

To see the true graph you cannot exponentially increase the vertical axis.

Try creating a graph where the increment is by 100

so from 0 to 100, then 100 to 200, then 200 to 300 ETC..