AM2, AM2+, and AM3

87dtna

Yeah I didn't see that either. Not that I disagree since he was stirring up trouble in every thread he posted in with his cocky asshole attitude.

dgrevillius

Mention that when overclocking a Phenom II system, it's beneficial to have a 32 bit Operating System.

Why is this? I OC my X3 720 on a 64-bit.

You should add that the AM2+ supports up to dual channel DDR2 1066, where AM2 only supports up to dual channel DDR2 800.

BlackRat

Never seen any benefits of 32bit system other than with old hardware, really old. How many of us use less than 4Gb RAM? with X58 chipset having 32bit and 3Gb RAM limit - hahahaha

bomberboysk

I think meticadpa is referring to higher levels of overclocking, such as phase/dice/ln2/cascade/etc.

Updated with latest cpu's/chipsets.

Last edited:

BlackRat

Bomber - can you please let me know what phase/dice/ln2/cascade/etc would be and how it relates to overclocking, I really would like to know. Usually when I build MAD (oops AMD) system I increase Bus Speed (or whatever they all now call it) drop HT link by 1 multi and check RAM to be close to specs or just a wee bit above. CHange voltages when required but only on CPU and RAM and check if possible to change CPU multi when black edition. So what phase/dice/ln2/cascade/etc would be in that overclocking process?

bomberboysk

Bomber - can you please let me know what phase/dice/ln2/cascade/etc would be and how it relates to overclocking, I really would like to know. Usually when I build MAD (oops AMD) system I increase Bus Speed (or whatever they all now call it) drop HT link by 1 multi and check RAM to be close to specs or just a wee bit above. CHange voltages when required but only on CPU and RAM and check if possible to change CPU multi when black edition. So what phase/dice/ln2/cascade/etc would be in that overclocking process?

Those are all types of subzero cooling used in extreme overclocking. Its not a permanant solution for cooling(with perhaps the exception of a singlestage phase system or chilled loop). Ln2 is liquid nitrogen, DICE is dry ice, for either of those you would use a device called a pot, which short and sweet is a metal container used to chill the processor die below ambient temperatures, allowing higher clocks and higher voltages to be used on a chip a little more safely.

spynoodle

Haha, never saw this post but i just did that, as well as added/revised 8xx chipset information.
Yep, just randomly looked over this thread for fun a few days ago and saw no X6. Figured I'd read up on some AMD facts. I'm not much of an AMD user, so I've gotta research my facts every once and a while. I went right from a C2D E8400 to a C2Q Q9650, so I kinda skipped over the Phenom II performance sector. Great thread by the way! :good:

EDIT: Don't want to sound picky, but has Hypertransport 3.1 been implemented yet? You say in the thread that it's only on future AM3 boards.

Last edited:

StrangleHold

Staff member
Dont really see the point of AMD having 3.1 yet. The fastest Phenoms HT is 2000/4000 and 3.0 supports up to 2600/5200. I would say maybe when Bulldozer is released with what (might) be called AM3+. But even then I dont see Bulldozer running faster the 3.0 2600/5200. Thats one thing I havent heard, whats Bulldozer HT and L3 cache speed.

87dtna

Just a small correction needed, on the 790gx board the onboard GFX are HD3300 not 3200. Pretty insignificant I know, but just to make sure things are accurate...

linkin

VIP Member
Guys, if i was to change over to AMD, what would be a suitable motherboard? I'd like to keep my DDR2, have a PCI-E x1 slot before the main x16 slot for my soundcard. Probably gunna use an athlon x4. how would it compare to my current setup?

StrangleHold

Staff member
Guys, if i was to change over to AMD, what would be a suitable motherboard? I'd like to keep my DDR2, have a PCI-E x1 slot before the main x16 slot for my soundcard. Probably gunna use an athlon x4. how would it compare to my current setup?

If you can find one, the GA MA790X UD4P was a good board. If your changing over I would just go all out and jump to AM3 DDR3. You will be sorta of at a dead end if you dont.

Last edited:

87dtna

If you can find one, the GA MA790X UD4P was a good board. If your changing over I would just go all out and jump to AM3 DDR3. You will be sorta of at a dead end if you dont.

+1 for that board. I have the AM3 version, the 790xt-UD4P and it is a very sweet board. I would also go with DDR3, atleast 1600 cas 9 ram.

bomberboysk

Just a small correction needed, on the 790gx board the onboard GFX are HD3300 not 3200. Pretty insignificant I know, but just to make sure things are accurate...

Funny thing is i know that, guess what i mean to type and what i type turn out as the wrong things sometimes. Oh well, thats why there are a few thousand members to proofread eh?:p

I also agree on the 790xt-UD4P, one of the best 790X boards ever made, definately would suggest DDR3 with an AM3 setup.

As far as new boards, take a look at gigabyte's 870 lineup, its another excellent board plus adds in features such as SATA 6.0Gb/s and USB 3.0 through the southbridge.

Last edited:

bomberboysk

I figured it was merely a typo.

I'd rather get the 880g ASRock over the 870 gigabyte-

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157191

Better configuration IMO (sideways sata ports) and for a few bucks more than the 870 this one will do 8x/8x crossfire too. Even a third x16 slot if you have yet another piece of hardware needing one as well.

Yeah, asrock has been pumping out some really nice boards recently. I'd really like to see how the 890FX board from biostar holds up against the competition as well:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138193

The only thing i don't like about asrock boards is the 1 year warranty=/

Last edited:

87dtna

Yeah I know, but I never hang onto a board from more than like a month so it doesn't matter to me LMAO :good:

I've personally disliked every single biostar board I've owned, and I've owned several of different socket types as well. Even the T-power I45 board I disliked, the P5Q-E was worlds better.
That 890fx board there is only a 4+2 phase, biostar's quality coming through there on such a ''high end'' board. Only 5 sata ports, and no USB 3.0.....it's definitely the ''economy'' of the high end boards. For $15 more, I'd definitely get the ASRock-

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157196

I consider that board a definite best buy. It has 4 USB3 ports (vs the normal 2) and 8 sata3 ports. I believe it's atleast 8+2 phase, and looks really nice IMO with the chipset fan too.

Last edited: