AM2, AM2+, and AM3

bomberboysk

Yeah I know, but I never hang onto a board from more than like a month so it doesn't matter to me LMAO :good:

I've personally disliked every single biostar board I've owned, and I've owned several of different socket types as well. Even the T-power I45 board I disliked, the P5Q-E was worlds better.
That 890fx board there is only a 4+2 phase, biostar's quality coming through there on such a ''high end'' board. Only 5 sata ports, and no USB 3.0.....it's definitely the ''economy'' of the high end boards. For $15 more, I'd definitely get the ASRock-

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157196

I consider that board a definite best buy. It has 4 USB3 ports (vs the normal 2) and 8 sata3 ports. I believe it's atleast 8+2 phase, and looks really nice IMO with the chipset fan too.
Yeah, the deluxe3 has an 8+2 configuration.

That biostar doesn't look the greatest on paper, but sometimes more isnt always better(in the case of quality over quantity), i'm still interested to see what sorta clocks one would get from the biostar board, and tbh i have no idea what sort of PWM circuitry is used in either board other than the number of phases.

Last edited:

87dtna

True true, but only 5 sata ports and no USB3.0 would kill the deal for me alone over $15 more for the ASRock (actually $13 comparing shipping costs) to be spending that much on a board in the first place.

bomberboysk

True true, but only 5 sata ports and no USB3.0 would kill the deal for me alone over $15 more for the ASRock (actually $13 comparing shipping costs) to be spending that much on a board in the first place.

Yeah, i guess we come from different fronts though. That biostar board has 3 times the warranty of the asrock, which 24/7 users could appreciate.

FuryRosewood

I have a biostar board...two actually, second one is a mATX 785G...both work flawlessly...and a warranty thats longer shows the manufacturer has more faith in their build quality...and is willing to show that your hardware will not break down while in use... from my experience, everyone who has used Asrock boards has run into trouble, one form or another... i honestly dont see biostar as a bad choice of motherboard

StrangleHold

Staff member
I look at Biostar and Asrock in about the same category as far as quality. Both make some pretty cheap boards and both make some decent boards. Owned both and really have no preference of one over the other. Their good over die record is about equal.

87dtna

I have a biostar board...two actually, second one is a mATX 785G...both work flawlessly...and a warranty thats longer shows the manufacturer has more faith in their build quality...and is willing to show that your hardware will not break down while in use... from my experience, everyone who has used Asrock boards has run into trouble, one form or another... i honestly dont see biostar as a bad choice of motherboard

Even if the board works fine, the Bios layout and options are typically horrendous. So just because they work doesn't mean it's good.

I got burned again by biostar for the third or fourth time just a few weeks ago, and this is THE last time. I bought a socket 478 board, the 945gc-m from Biostar, for a fun project....only to find when I got it that it had ZERO overclocking options, and thats no exageration....couldn't even change any of the timings on the ram either. Also couldn't even use software overclocking either because no software overclocking tools support that board. I was so pissed, I wanted to snap the thing in two. It got RMA'd back to newegg and I was even tempted to bitch about the restocking fee but I didn't. What a total waste of my time and money.

Now the ASRock P4Dual-915gl board I bought to replace it, had overclocking but no overvolting options. So I was 1/2 dissapointed, but not nearly as much as with the biostar.

Didn't you guys ever see Tommy Boy? Listen to what he says about gaurantees cuz I think he's right.

Last edited:

spynoodle

Even if the board works fine, the Bios layout and options are typically horrendous. So just because they work doesn't mean it's good.

I got burned again by biostar for the third or fourth time just a few weeks ago, and this is THE last time. I bought a socket 478 board, the 945gc-m from Biostar, for a fun project....only to find when I got it that it had ZERO overclocking options, and thats no exageration....couldn't even change any of the timings on the ram either. Also couldn't even use software overclocking either because no software overclocking tools support that board. I was so pissed, I wanted to snap the thing in two. It got RMA'd back to newegg and I was even tempted to bitch about the restocking fee but I didn't. What a total waste of my time and money.

Now the ASRock P4Dual-915gl board I bought to replace it, had overclocking but no overvolting options. So I was 1/2 dissapointed, but not nearly as much as with the biostar.

Didn't you guys ever see Tommy Boy? Listen to what he says about gaurantees cuz I think he's right.
Ouch, no overclocking at all? That's pathetic. No company should make a retail board that can't overclock. That's just sad. The no overvolting on the Asrock makes a bit more sense, since Asrock's main purpose was to be an OEM subsidary of Asus, and an end user can't fry a CPU at stock volts. I got lucky with my Asus P5PL2. It's a really basic board. 945PL chipset, no support for the Core architecture, the whole budget deal. Still, I got it for $20 on ebay and it has everything when it comes to overclocking: FSB, Vcore, Northbridge voltage (I think), PCIe voltage, RAM timings, the only thing it doesn't have is the ability to raise the voltage into the suicide zone. Only to the limit of the long-term safe zone. :( That's too bad for your project though. It's fun to blow old stuff up. :D

bomberboysk

No overclocking was completely the norm back in the socket 478 days on low end boards....

87dtna

No overclocking was completely the norm back in the socket 478 days on low end boards....

How is the 945gc a low end board? It has sata2, ddr2, PCIeX16 slot, ICH7 south bridge, etc....everything you could want and more in high performance for a 478 chip.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Come on now, if you cant tell the Biostar 945GC M is a lowend board, then something is wrong here.

Last edited:

87dtna

Yeah, clearly these are high performance features for socket 478.....so why no high performance options in the bios???!!!

bomberboysk

It's like one of 2-3 478 boards with the features I just mentioned....

PCIE, sata, and ddr2 didnt make it high end, the reasons those boards had those features is they were some of the last boards created in the 478 era... I've worked with OEM machines that had pcie slots and socket 478 cpu's.

87dtna

PCIE, sata, and ddr2 didnt make it high end, the reasons those boards had those features is they were some of the last boards created in the 478 era... I've worked with OEM machines that had pcie slots and socket 478 cpu's.

Nahhhh the biostar board was released in 2008, socket 775 started in January of 2004....so socket 478 was WAYYYY past it's prime...this board was created long after socket 478 was pretty much dead. So, whats the point of making the board? To give 478 new features FOR PERFORMANCE reasons.

An OEM board with pcie has got to be extremely rare. You can still buy the biostar board (like I did) off newegg. And it still doesn't have sata or DDR2....and whats the point of having SATA and DDR2 with 478?

You keep saying ''high end'', I never claimed it to be high end I claimed that it should be a performance board with features like that (features that no OEM board had). A performance board should overclock.

bomberboysk

Nahhhh the biostar board was released in 2008, socket 775 started in January of 2004....so socket 478 was WAYYYY past it's prime...this board was created long after socket 478 was pretty much dead. So, whats the point of making the board? To give 478 new features FOR PERFORMANCE reasons.

An OEM board with pcie has got to be extremely rare. You can still buy the biostar board (like I did) off newegg. And it still doesn't have sata or DDR2....and whats the point of having SATA and DDR2 with 478?

You keep saying ''high end'', I never claimed it to be high end I claimed that it should be a performance board with features like that (features that no OEM board had). A performance board should overclock.
I'm referring to your reference of the board as "Not low end"....sata2 and PCIe are not "Performance" features, they are merely for easier use of modern technologies....people are not going to buy a 478 board to overclock, as like you said, 478 is far past its prime, heck, 478 was never a very good socket originally. Not to mention, ASRock and Biostar boards have always been budget boards pretty much...its only very recently that they have even ventured into the enthusiast market.

Anyhow...lets venture back on topic, this is not a discussion thread for biostar boards...its an AMD socket reference.

StrangleHold

Staff member
I dont really see what the argument is. You can pick a Biostar or a Asrock from any time period thats pretty much junk in one way or the other. So to say you had one that was, means the other brand is better is pretty much fanboyism.

87dtna

:rolleyes:

Well I've owned 4+ of each brand with varying sockets, so if you want to call it fanboyism from my experiences with these boards than fine. Whatever.