AMD Polaris GPU - Discussion Thread

Darren

Staff member
Looks like the official specs for "Polaris 10" and "Polaris 11" have been unveiled. Feel free to discuss AMD's latest generation of Graphics Cards in this thread. I'll do my best to keep it up to date. I'll also attempt to keep this is accurate as possible but sources and rumors are still all over the place.

So far this is what I've been able to compile from various sources.

Unveiling predicted from various sources at Computex to be May 26-29 with products on sale in June

Revealed specs for Polaris 10 and 11 both seem to indicate that they are "mobile" cards. I'm wondering if this will change.

Polaris 10 / R9 480X(?)
  • 5.5 TFLOPS
  • 8GB GDDR5
  • TDP <= 150 watts
  • 1350MHz (40% above 380X)
  • MSRP $299
  • Roughly equivalent performance to 390/390X in a mobile GPU
  • For reference a 290X makes near identical TFLOPS (5.5/5.6) while consuming twice the power
  • Polaris 10 appears to be the mainstream card (380X ish replacement), with the high end cards coming later.

Polaris 11 / R7 460X(?)

Sources

http://www.amd.com/en-us/innovations/software-technologies/radeon-polaris#
http://wccftech.com/amd-r9-480x-470x-specs-allegedly-revealed/
http://wccftech.com/amd-launching-polaris-10-gpu-june-1st-computex/

Reactions: C4C

beers

Staff member
Le gasp.

If you can't crossfire a midrange card at exacting performance as a dGPU with this rendition of APU then I'm calling it a wasted effort (again). I imagine a smaller process should give them a huge amount to gain in the iGPU space though.

Darren

Staff member
Some benchmarks of the 480 and 480X, although I'd take them with a grain of salt.

Also keep in mind this is a DirectX11 test and AMD cards typically perform better in DirectX12 titles.

AMD-Radeon-R9-480-3DMark11-Performance.png

http://videocardz.com/60253/amd-radeon-r9-480-3dmark11-benchmarks

C4C

Here's a chart for some of the new Nvidia cards to compare.. This one is using Fire Strike instead so the numbers are different.

The big thing is the lower TDP for Polaris.. Something Radeon cards aren't know for lol

GeForce-GTX-1070-3DMark-FireStrike-Performance.png

1080p, 1440p, and 2160p respectively.

You can kind of see where the 480/X will fit in here.... and that is quite surprising.
If anybody is looking to build an AMD rig this Fall, you're in luck cause Zen is coming out too!

http://videocardz.com/60265/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-3dmark-firestrike-benchmarks

Darren

Staff member
Meh, I don't know man... I'm really leaning towards a GTX 1070 at this rate.

The 1070 is of course faster, these cards aren't trying to compete with that. The 390 and 970 were direct competitors but these cards are going to be the 480 and 480X, which is a step below that. The high end cards for Polaris are coming out later this year. October I think. The 480 will likely be priced at or slightly above $200 and the 480X more around the $250-275 mark. The 1070 is way more expensive than that.

Intel_man

VIP Member
Yea but when you think about it, the 1070 isn't THAT expensive when you're basically getting Titan X performance for $379.

The 1080 however... has a stupid price.

Darren

Staff member
Yea but when you think about it, the 1070 isn't THAT expensive when you're basically getting Titan X performance for $379.

The 1080 however... has a stupid price.

That's irrelevant though. If you have 275 to spend on a GPU, you have 275 to spend. Whatever is out of your budget is irrelevant since you can't afford it. Getting performance that's knocking on the door of an R9 Fury and faster than a 980 is a pretty good deal for $275. Assuming that's the price they are, which is probably a somewhat accurate guess. Meanwhile the previous gen 390 costs $320 or more and is noticeably slower, that's a pretty good jump.

We shall see, hopefully more benchmarks will be unveiled on the 1st at Computex when they launch the cards.

spirit

Staff member
Recent buyers of Fury X, 980 Ti and Titan X cards are kicking themselves now seeing that all three are beaten by the GTX 1070! This generation is clearly a big upgrade from the last!

Intel_man

VIP Member
That's irrelevant though. If you have 275 to spend on a GPU, you have 275 to spend. Whatever is out of your budget is irrelevant since you can't afford it. Getting performance that's knocking on the door of an R9 Fury and faster than a 980 is a pretty good deal for $275. Assuming that's the price they are, which is probably a somewhat accurate guess. Meanwhile the previous gen 390 costs $320 or more and is noticeably slower, that's a pretty good jump.

We shall see, hopefully more benchmarks will be unveiled on the 1st at Computex when they launch the cards.
But that's not irrelevant. You just went on and compared the 480X to the R9 Fury for a lower price. I just did that at a higher price bracket.

Yea sure, the benchmark shows it being on par with a R9 Fury, that's fantastic. $500 - $275 = $275 delta. Or a 45% price difference.

a GTX 1070 being on par with a Titan X is $1000 - $379 = $621 delta. Or a 62% price difference.

I understand where the 480/480X targets in the market of video cards, but if you're going to be looking into grabbing high performance video cards like these, you'll be stupid not to consider going for the 1070 at the cost of $100 extra. Just don't grab the founders edition cards because that's just dumb.

Until the flagship Polaris cards come out in what you say is October, the 1070 hits the ultimate sweet spot in $/performance right now.

Darren

Staff member
But that's not irrelevant. You just went on and compared the 480X to the R9 Fury for a lower price. I just did that at a higher price bracket.

Yea sure, the benchmark shows it being on par with a R9 Fury, that's fantastic. $500 - $275 = $275 delta. Or a 45% price difference.

a GTX 1070 being on par with a Titan X is $1000 - $379 = $621 delta. Or a 62% price difference.

I understand where the 480/480X targets in the market of video cards, but if you're going to be looking into grabbing high performance video cards like these, you'll be stupid not to consider going for the 1070 at the cost of $100 extra. Just don't grab the founders edition cards because that's just dumb.

Until the flagship Polaris cards come out in what you say is October, the 1070 hits the ultimate sweet spot in $/performance right now.

Okay now I see what you mean. I thought you were saying the 1070 is the way to go simply because it's faster, not the dollar to performance ratio. You're right, the 1070 is an insanely good card for the money.

Laquer Head

I'm leaning towards the 1070 also, I think it will crush whatever thing I do and the 1080 might just be too over the top for my needs

beers

Staff member
I'm leaning towards the 1070 also, I think it will crush whatever thing I do and the 1080 might just be too over the top for my needs
Unless your needs involve having a large e-peen, then anything less just isn't as fulfilling ;)

Origin Saint

I got it in January of this year (tax return gift to myself). Really disappointed I was unaware that the 1000 series was so close. I knew it was coming, but I had no clue it'd even be in the same year. Good news is, I still have a while of max settings @ 60 FPS since I only play at 1080p. Still disappointed though :mad:

spirit

Staff member
I got it in January of this year (tax return gift to myself). Really disappointed I was unaware that the 1000 series was so close. I knew it was coming, but I had no clue it'd even be in the same year. Good news is, I still have a while of max settings @ 60 FPS since I only play at 1080p. Still disappointed though :mad:
That was 5 or 6 months ago, long before the spec of the new generation was announced. I wouldn't murder yourself just yet and it's still a badass card. :D