AMD Polaris GPU - Discussion Thread

spirit

Staff member
But now he has to live with the fact that his card's performance is only equal to $379. :D:D
That's technology for you I'm afraid. :(

You could've bought a 7970 GHz Edition in 2013 just before they stopped making them for however many hundreds of dollars they were back then and then see the price of the R9 280X which was basically the same card that came out after the 7970 was discontinued and cried for the rest of time. :D

Darren

Staff member
I'm dubious of this, but the RX 480 will be $200. No longer R9 series. Crossfired supposedly competes with the 1080 at a much lower price. Also these are 150w TDP and perform around 390(x) level.

https://twitter.com/AMDRadeon/status/737833572346781696

Zjd8kZF.jpg

Intel_man

VIP Member
Yea... crossfire is great and all... but holy **** that's going to generate a lot of heat. And they got the price wrong, the 1080 is going to be $600 for the non founders edition. soooooooooooooooooooo

Darren

Staff member
Yea... crossfire is great and all... but holy **** that's going to generate a lot of heat. And they got the price wrong, the 1080 is going to be $600 for the non founders edition. soooooooooooooooooooo

They're 150 watts each. My 390 probably pushes 250-300 watts on its own...? Not sure why you think these are going to be super hot.

The point to be taken here is that this card is only $200 (for the 4GB version) and equals or even eclipses the 390/970 in performance and in some benchmarks (previous page) is on par with the GTX 980. That combined with the VR marketing is going to make this incredibly popular.

https://gfycat.com/SmugLeanAsianwaterbuffalo

Last edited:

Intel_man

VIP Member
Because I've had a SLi setup before. 2 GTX 260's in SLi infact. Theyre rated at ~180W TDP and they push SOOOOOO MUCH HEAT under load.

You see, unless you want to watercool that setup, the top card's going to be eating hot air from the 2nd card.

Origin Saint

"Let’s say it again, because it’s borderline mind-boggling: The first Polaris-based Radeon graphics card will cost only $200, and it will deliver roughly GTX 980-level performance according to AMD."

Obviously taking this with a grain of salt, but the possibility of a $200 card with 980 level performance is insane. As the article goes on to say, in the high end of things, there's no reason to go AMD, as cards like the Fury X don't stand up well to something like the announced performance of the 1070 at it's price point, but at the same time, with something this ceiling-crushing looming with such a low price-point, nVidia's lower-end cards now can't hold up. If this goes the way it looks like, AMD has pulled off a damn good move with the Polaris lineup.

EDIT: Not to mention, if AMD manages to race this out the door before the 10xx series launches, they can kill nVidia's sales. Once you've bought a 480, you could simply get one more and squeeze ahead of a 1080. Only downside would be the CrossFire compatibility problems that will end up arising with some games.

Darren

Staff member
Because I've had a SLi setup before. 2 GTX 260's in SLi infact. Theyre rated at ~180W TDP and they push SOOOOOO MUCH HEAT under load.

You see, unless you want to watercool that setup, the top card's going to be eating hot air from the 2nd card.

I've never been a fan of Crossfire/SLI setups. They're hot, take a lot of power, and are more finicky than a single faster card. You're not saying anything new that every single Crossfire/SLI setup doesn't suffer from.

I included that picture as a rough indicator of how they perform in Crossfire. Not going all "hur dur AMD shits all over the 1080 in Crossfire". I regret posting it now because clearly you're focused on that and not what @Origin Saint just stated and what I believe is the real takeaway here. This card (just one) is an absolute insane performance to cost ratio. Of course, we'll reserve judgement until we have more concrete benchmarks but even if the marketing is somewhat accurate the 480 is going to be a very hard card to turn down.

Intel_man

VIP Member
I've never been a fan of Crossfire/SLI setups. They're hot, take a lot of power, and are more finicky than a single faster card. You're not saying anything new that every single Crossfire/SLI setup doesn't suffer from.

I included that picture as a rough indicator of how they perform in Crossfire. Not going all "hur dur AMD shits all over the 1080 in Crossfire". I regret posting it now because clearly you're focused on that and not what @Origin Saint just stated and what I believe is the real takeaway here. This card (just one) is an absolute insane performance to cost ratio. Of course, we'll reserve judgement until we have more concrete benchmarks but even if the marketing is somewhat accurate the 480 is going to be a very hard card to turn down.
Wait what? Let's back the **** up here for a moment.

All I said was that crossfire setup is going to generate a lot of heat. You asked why, and I gave you a reason why it will produce a ton of heat.

I never once doubted the performance of these things under a crossfire environment nor have I compared the quoted crossfire performance figures and compared it to anything. I literally JUST said, these will be massive heaters.

Darren

Staff member
Wait what? Let's back the **** up here for a moment.

All I said was that crossfire setup is going to generate a lot of heat. You asked why, and I gave you a reason why it will produce a ton of heat.

I never once doubted the performance of these things under a crossfire environment nor have I compared the quoted crossfire performance figures and compared it to anything. I literally JUST said, these will be massive heaters.

Fair. I apologize, I took your focus on the Crossfire setup as dismissing the card as a whole. You're right. My bad.