AMD Radeon HD 6xxx Thread!

joh06937

wow, right neck-and-neck with the 460.

*puts-on-flame-retardant-suit-to-prevent-the-"oh-but-look-at-metro-2033"-flaming*

FuryRosewood

good mid range cards that are more power efficient than previous models from the looks of it...kinda wish i waited to buy one of these, tho i hear ati still has some performance issues with OpenGL implementations...so wouldnt do me much good with SL...so ill just wait on my open boxed GTX460 to get here. picked it up for 173, directcu asus variant, im happy :)

jevery

The benchs on the 6850 look to place it a small notch above the 1GB 460, but, since NVIDIA has knocked about $30 off the 460s, their still the better value - for now. The scaling on CrossFire looks a lot better than past generations. Competition's a great thing, but with the pace of new releases, it sure make your components seem outdated in a hurry.

kyleswitch

This might make a lot of people angry that just buy a 6870 because it is the next generation. I wonder how they will stack up against the current generation.

At least these will drop the prices of the 5 series.

No need to drop the price of the 5k series when the 6870 is $230! I feel ripped off now for my 5850 :rolleyes:

Russ88765

When are the 6970's and 6990's coming out? Man if they're the same price diff from 5970's as 6870-5870 then that's awesome! May have to wait on selecting a gpu for my own build, I want to see how it turns out first.

Last edited:

zombine210

When are the 6970's and 6990's coming out? Man if they're the same price diff from 5970's then that's awesome!

i read the last week of this month, but who knows?
i'm this close "." to jumping on a 6870... my q9550 will probably bottleneck a 69xx...
yummy.

Russ88765

Saw a couple videos online that said they are supposed to have some new cooling technology, but I think they will be rebranded 5970's more or less. Just my own cautions, but I feel like the first few hundred cards will have higher defect rate(I shun new tech I guess).

Aastii

VIP Member
Saw a couple videos online that said they are supposed to have some new cooling technology, but I think they will be rebranded 5970's more or less. Just my own cautions, but I feel like the first few hundred cards will have higher defect rate(I shun new tech I guess).

Rebranded 5870's

Stupid change in the naming system makes the 69xx the high end, single GPU card, like the 58xx cards were, rather than like the 59xx, which were multi-GPU cards

I think with the 6xxx generation of cards, we will be seeing the return of the 4xxx series way of naming multi-GPU cards, by having, for example, a 6970x2, which would be 2 6970 chips on 1 PCB

I don't think the first will have a higher defect rate, they are all tested to the same standards, and usually the initial cards are the same as the ones that you get 6 months down the line. The only thing to give the higher "defect" rates would be drivers. With the first set of drivers, you usually have worse performance, and a lot of problems, however the bugs are usually fixed with in a few weeks or so, and after that it is just optimizing the code to give much better performance

Russ88765

I really liked the graphic scheme on 5970/5870's too. That black and red thing looks cool in a AMD setup, and the character on the card gives it it's own kinda pizazz. It's not a huge deal I suppose. So you think then that the 69xx cards are going to perform only up to the level of 5870's?

zombine210

well i went and pulled the trigger on a 6870. i couldn't wait for the 6900s :p
also, i think my cpu would bottleneck something like that :D

that was yesternight, guess what i got in my inbox this morning?
that's right a 10% off coupon from the egg: EMCZZYR24 :mad:

i emailed them and asked if they would apply it to my already delivered order.
here's hoping. :good:

Aastii

VIP Member
Black Friday,,, that's the ticket ! :)

I wouldn't trust that time that I put. As I mentioned in another thread (Reflect on Life I think) I overheard from Nvidia employees that apparently ATi are still tweaking the 69xx cards even now to come closer in line to 580 performance, so it may be out by then, but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

mrjack

VIP Member
Like I said in the GTX 580 thread, the 69xx cards have been postponed. The 6950 and 6970 are now supposed to be released during week 50 (December 13th-19th) and the 6990 during Q1/2011.

Sources:
Muropaketti (Finnish) Translation
TechPowerUp

Funny mistakes in the translation, by the way. The headline sounds like something straight out of an article by The Onion. Rest assured it is a serious site.

Last edited:

linkin

VIP Member
So has anyone here got a 6000 series GPU yet? I have not really been keeping up to date with graphics cards (again!)