AMD Radeon HD 6xxx Thread!

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Holy expensive prices batman :eek:

Well the 6950 itself is around £220,So the 6990 been Dual Gpu,Latest tech + Overclockers been more expensive than anyone else usualy,Im not suprised at that price.

4gb of vram though :eek:,I thought 2gb was overkill :D...makes you wonder if they will release a 2gb version.

Dont see why not because they released a 1gb version of the 6950.

Immagine having 2x 6990s in Crossfire :D...the electric bill :0

Last edited:

Aastii

VIP Member
Well the 6950 itself is around £220,So the 6990 been Dual Gpu,Latest tech + Overclockers been more expensive than anyone else usualy,Im not suprised at that price.

4gb of vram though :eek:,I thought 2gb was overkill :D...makes you wonder if they will release a 2gb version.

Dont see why not because they released a 1gb version of the 6950.

Immagine having 2x 6990s in Crossfire :D...the electric bill :0

It is 2 x 6970's on a single PCB, not 6950's, and it is 2GB per GPU, which I agree is mental.

There was speculation of it being around £450 at one point, which I was seriously considering going for, but for £570, they can keep it. I'm just wondering that the 590 will cost and how it will stand up to the 6990. by the looks of things, for the first time since the 8000 series Nvidia will have all corners tied up again with most powerful single and dual GPU card, and best option for the mid range for the price in the 460

Aastii

VIP Member
Whats the electric bill got to do with it,does it use more then.

To give you an idea russ, the 6990 is 2 x 6970 chips on a single board.

A single 6970 uses ~300W, so you can guess that the 6990 will be using ~450-500W each. You get two of them, before you factor in your CPU, motherboard, hard drives, memory, other expansion cards and optical drives, you are pushing 1KW from the video cards alone, so it will cost a hell of a lot to run it

tech savvy

There was speculation of it being around £450 at one point, which I was seriously considering going for, but for £570, they can keep it. I'm just wondering that the 590 will cost and how it will stand up to the 6990. by the looks of things, for the first time since the 8000 series Nvidia will have all corners tied up again with most powerful single and dual GPU card, and best option for the mid range for the price in the 460

i thought it was going to be the GTX 595.

Nova

Dang, I was thinking of getting a 6990. Just one of those uses so much power. Might have to rethink what PSU I am getting.

StrangleHold

Staff member

Russ88765

If I had the cash i'd get it!!! I want that card so bad. All that stuff in a single card is what i've been waiting for. Unless I could get the 5970 for a really good deal. Still want to see what nvidia's top card ends up like though.

Last edited:

tech savvy

Anyone hear or came across some leaked information about AMD HD7xxx series cards? I read around to see what I could find and seen some websites that said we should see them around Q2 2011. If thats true, then we could see them as early as June 1st. but again this information is from scattered websites that i gathered, dont know how true this is, just what ive seen. Just wondering if anyone else knows more about it.

Aastii

VIP Member
What I have heard is this:

Initially, they were working with GLOBALFOUNDRIES to try and get 28nm out before Nvidia, hence pushing for Q2-Q3 2011 release, as Nvidia have said their release of Kepler will be Q4 2011. I have heard other reports to say that AMD are no longer working with GLOBALFOUNDRIES for Southern Islands.

The latest I have heard is that the cards are already in, or soon to be in, production, with release looking to be early Q3, rather than Q2.

=EDIT=

I should point out the last point is a few weeks old, and I think we all know how fast rumours can change in the technology world ;)

=EDITEDIT=

I've found other sources to clarify what I said about them no longer working with GLOBALFOUNDRIES. Apparently, initial production will be performed by TSMC, and then will be shifted to GLOBALFOUNDRIES for their later, lower end and revised chips

Last edited:

tech savvy

What I have heard is this:

Initially, they were working with GLOBALFOUNDRIES to try and get 28nm out before Nvidia, hence pushing for Q2-Q3 2011 release, as Nvidia have said their release of Kepler will be Q4 2011. I have heard other reports to say that AMD are no longer working with GLOBALFOUNDRIES for Southern Islands.

The latest I have heard is that the cards are already in, or soon to be in, production, with release looking to be early Q3, rather than Q2.

=EDIT=

I should point out the last point is a few weeks old, and I think we all know how fast rumours can change in the technology world ;)

=EDITEDIT=

I've found other sources to clarify what I said about them no longer working with GLOBALFOUNDRIES. Apparently, initial production will be performed by TSMC, and then will be shifted to GLOBALFOUNDRIES for their later, lower end and revised chips

thx Aastii.

StrangleHold

Staff member
I got both my 6950's for $460 free shipping after rebate. I don't think they perform as well as a 6990. I am not that impressed with them so far.

Every benchmark I have saw, there are only 2 or 3 frames difference. The 6950 beat it in a couple by the same amount.