AMD Radeon HD 6xxx Thread!

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
My 6870 should arrive today :D

Won't get to stick it in my computer till later this week or beginning of next week though :(

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Recieved my 6950 this morning,Just opened it and OMG this thing is HUGE...just about fits in my CM690 case :D

Cant wait to get playing some games on it,wont be able till too tommorow night though now :/

Troncoso

VIP Member
Recieved my 6950 this morning,Just opened it and OMG this thing is HUGE...just about fits in my CM690 case :D

Cant wait to get playing some games on it,wont be able till too tommorow night though now :/

I know! The thing is a beast. I can't use mine though til I get my power supply in the mail though....It's slowly killing me as it stares at me....unused.

SslagleZ28

yeeeeeeah I forgot to warn you about that.... its massive lol :D

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know! The thing is a beast. I can't use mine though til I get my power supply in the mail though....It's slowly killing me as it stares at me....unused.

You talking about the PSU in your sig? Antec Earthwatt 750w ?

That should be more than enough :confused:

yeeeeeeah I forgot to warn you about that.... its massive lol :D

I was shocked seriusly,Compared to my GTX 460 this card is a good 5-6 inches longer i think :D

Troncoso

VIP Member
That's the one coming in the mail. The other antec in my

Is the one I'm using. The 500w. It just can't power the beast for more then about 5 minutes

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ah,My OCZ StealthXstream 600W seems to be fine so far. (Fingers crossed)

I might leave my 6950 stock though,Dont see the point in overclocking as its just not needed.
Its a beast as it is :D

kobaj

VIP Member
Lucky.. All I could afford was a 6850. Enjoy it mate.

We 6850s are just as good, don't let them fool you otherwise! /silly pep talk :p.

No seriously, 6850 is beast. 5040x1050 with mw2 maxed (cause I'm not a sheep who purchased BO) and I still hit the 90fps limit, wowza!

CardboardSword

Yeah the 68XX cards are fantastic. I had a 6870 for a week or two (Long story haha) before I got the 570 and man oh man, its hard to believe they're selling it as a mid range card!

Russ88765

Thanks for performance heads up, I felt like I took a gamble. How many screens do you think it has the potential to game on?

Last edited:

CardboardSword

Well it depends on the game. If it's one of those terribly coded games that gives poor FPS no matter what your hardware then it obviously won't fare so well. I'd imagine those that run smoothly on most hardware would work superbly with it though. Games like DiRT2 and the CoD series. Anything with a well optimized engine basically. Any particularly demanding game will probably not work so hot though. Keep in mind this is just speculation too, I only played around with the card for about 2 weeks. Never even had a chance to overclock it, which makes me pretty sad.

Russ88765

Mostly using it on emulators, the most demanding being pcsx2. I don't have any pc games at the moment, never had a comp capable of running them before.

CardboardSword

Well I'm not sure how you'd get EyeFinity to work on an emulator to be honest. Actually, I'm not sure how it works on games that support it unless there's some really obvious option in the game menus. :p Emulators are pretty CPU bound though, so if you can find a way to make it work it should run smoothly. Having said that though, the most likely result will be that the screen just gets stretched instead of actually increasing in size. So instead of getting a breathtaking panoramic gaming experience, you'll probably just get ugly stretched pixels :(

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
600 cuts it close. I used those power supply calculators and it says my rig needs at least 630W

Well i ran my GTX 460 + A 8800GT alongside each other with this psu,Which im sure that pulled more power than my HD6950 does now and had no issues back then so hopefully everything should be okay.

Russ88765

Well I'm not sure how you'd get EyeFinity to work on an emulator to be honest. Actually, I'm not sure how it works on games that support it unless there's some really obvious option in the game menus. :p Emulators are pretty CPU bound though, so if you can find a way to make it work it should run smoothly. Having said that though, the most likely result will be that the screen just gets stretched instead of actually increasing in size. So instead of getting a breathtaking panoramic gaming experience, you'll probably just get ugly stretched pixels :(

You can only run it if the game supports it? I thought it might be dependant more on the os to set it up or something. It's not an immediate concern, I just wondered if it was possible in the future. How about those curved monitors? Are they more expensive than it's worth?

Troncoso

VIP Member
Well i ran my GTX 460 + A 8800GT alongside each other with this psu,Which im sure that pulled more power than my HD6950 does now and had no issues back then so hopefully everything should be okay.

That is true. Maybe something else was off when I tried installing my GPU. Oh well, I'll get my new psu in a day or so.

So what's the verdict on the 6950 so far? It still makes me cry a little that it's just sitting on my desk, waiting to be used....

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
So what's the verdict on the 6950 so far? It still makes me cry a little that it's just sitting on my desk, waiting to be used....

Love it,Very strong card....maxes Metro 2033 in DX11 and still gets very high framerates,It eats through Crysis maxed out like theres no tommorow.

Compared to my old GTX 460 768Mb which was overclocked,Theres just no comparison.

Only downside to the card atm,Its very loud on anything over 30% fan speed,But for such a powerfull GPU its expected.

Im just wonderig if its worth getting the new 6950 bios thats about somewhere that unlocks just the locked Shaders on the card.