AMD Setup

Bobo

banned
Praetor said:
Wow you're credibility went out the door ;)
Pssshhht, thanks

2. Newegg reviews are done by .... non-professionals. Nuff said

The point is, just because a review says something is good doesnt mean it is ...
But the Newegg reviews are from users, who aren't trying to test the card, they are using it, and those reviews are very helpful when deciding between products, because they do tell you how they perform (roughly)

mgoldb2

VIP Member
But the Newegg reviews are from users, who aren't trying to test the card, they are using it, and those reviews are very helpful when deciding between products, because they do tell you how they perform (roughly)

I would say at least 50% of the time when someone gives a product a bad review at newegg it because they got no clue what they doing and it more likely human error then the product it self.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
That wasnt my point, the point is that Newegg reviews are often incorrect and/or not useful. Perhaps I was being too subtle ... many of the reviews on Newegg are outright dumb. There are reviews saying that a CPU is stable ... well no crap ... it's freaking boarderline impossible to find a CPU that ships flawed.

I would say at least 50% of the time when someone gives a product a bad review at newegg it because they got no clue what they doing and it more likely human error then the product it self.
Bingo

Geoff

VIP Member
That maybe true, but there are some products out there that are just plain awful. Like some that break extremely easy, or certain products that dont work with other products. And the easiest way to finf out is newegg reviews, since if say 50 people all say that the motherboard doesnt work with DDR2, even though it says it does, that would be an easy way to find out whether to get that board or not.

mgoldb2

VIP Member
[-0MEGA-] said:
That maybe true, but there are some products out there that are just plain awful. Like some that break extremely easy, or certain products that dont work with other products. And the easiest way to finf out is newegg reviews, since if say 50 people all say that the motherboard doesnt work with DDR2, even though it says it does, that would be an easy way to find out whether to get that board or not.

In other words the people that do absolutely no research before buying might benefit from new egg reviews? Well that person deserves what ever he gets if he relying on newegg reviews to catch any compatibility mistakes.

Smart people already done the research and already know what they looking for before they go to buy.

If you do your research by reading newegg reviews you a moron. Anyone that does research correctly the newegg reviews will be 100% useless too.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
My point still stands:
The point is, just because a review says something is good doesnt mean it is ... do some research and use reviews as guidance with a grain of salt

Geoff

VIP Member
mgoldb2 said:
In other words the people that do absolutely no research before buying might benefit from new egg reviews? Well that person deserves what ever he gets if he relying on newegg reviews to catch any compatibility mistakes.

Smart people already done the research and already know what they looking for before they go to buy.

If you do your research by reading newegg reviews you a moron. Anyone that does research correctly the newegg reviews will be 100% useless too.
Im actually referring more to products like fan controllers, than actual computer hardware. There are times when i look for a fan controller on newegg, but almost all of the reviews say that the controller breaks after a few weeks, or that it only slows a certain brand of fan speed down, ect.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Im actually referring more to products like fan controllers, than actual computer hardware. There are times when i look for a fan controller on newegg, but almost all of the reviews say that the controller breaks after a few weeks, or that it only slows a certain brand of fan speed down, ect.
Yes we also know that for a mundane product like fancontrollers we can have stupid fanboys that prefer Thermaltake and then go criticize a vantec FC without giving it a chance.

Also, a dinky product like a fan controller isnt a problem when stupidity reigns supreme with reviews ... if you buy a crappy fan controller (whether you relied on Newegg "reviews" alone or not) then you lose out on a bit of money. If you buy a crappy PSU from Newegg cuz some moron said it was good and then you go home and it fries your computer then thats a bit more significant.

PC eye

banned
I don't have to worry about Newegg reviews at all. The first thing looked over is specifications as well as multiple reviews from searches. Then I put a case together it goes through the mill anyway. When you have a system running 16-24 hours a day you get to see which hardware works best with what.

Cab00se

wow, sorry my internet was out because someone decided to cut the main cable line running to our town lol.

Yea, after some more research I'm definately going with a one card option and probably getting a DX10 card when they come out probably for x-mas or my birthday in Jan.

From what was said above I take it that the 3800 X2 overclocked would be fine in comparison to a 4400X2 toledo?

I'm still nervous to do that before Conroe comes out just to be sure but I half think that it might not be the absolute beast that some of the numbers show.

But yea, I take professional reviews like MaxPC (I read that) more seriously than newegg people because I realize it could just be some kid whose parent bought it for them or something.

fade2green514

Bobo said:
Well I would recommend the 7900GTX over the x1900xtx. They are about the same price.

For $490:
x 1900xtx:
650MHz core
1500MHz memory
16 pipelines
256-bit
512MB GDDR3

7900GTX:
665MHz core
1630MHz memory
24 pipelines
256-bit
512MB GDDR3

Have a looksee here:
http://techreport.com/onearticle.x/9780

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=30856

It seems that they are pretty much even in performance, but the x1900xtx is so loud, I would never buy it over the 7900gtx
what you're forgetting is that the x1900xtx and x1900xt both have 48 vertex shaders. thats quite the large advance compared the the 7900gtx's 8 vertex shaders.
careful though, the x1800xt i believe also has 8 vertex shaders.
Praetor said:
My point still stands:
The point is, just because a review says something is good doesnt mean it is ... do some research and use reviews as guidance with a grain of salt
please note: i voted for praetor on the favorite leaderboard members.
haha thats amazing...
anyways, i totally agree.. like that conroe review that said its 150% better than an fx-60 @ 2.8ghz even though its clocked at 2.66ghz..
RIGHT lol...

Last edited:

fade2green514

nope, vertex shaders... completely different object. and they aren't virtual, they're physical.
vertex shader != pixel pipelines
as for x1900xtx and 7900gtx, they're fairly well on par with each other. one performs better in some games another performs better in other games. ultimately i'd prefer the one that either #1 is cheaper or #2 performs better in their respective dual card setup.
personally, i prefer SLI because its been around longer and therefore theoretically should have less bugs... and has a lot more reviews.
i mean SLI no longer needs two cards that are identical, as long as they have the same gpu + same size memory they'll work now. (thats with the latest drivers)

Last edited:

Ku-sama

banned
i prefer nVidia, they have updated and better drivers about every other week, lol, and then i make a trip over to Tweaks-R-Us and pick up the tweaked version :p

Geoff

VIP Member
fade2green514 said:
anyways, i totally agree.. like that conroe review that said its 150% better than an fx-60 @ 2.8ghz even though its clocked at 2.66ghz..
RIGHT lol...
Not sure about 150% better, but it's deffinetly better.

Cab00se

what it probably is though is that the best best model of Conroe tweaked out is 150% better but 150% more expensive:D

mgoldb2

VIP Member
I am a bit confuse how you measuring this 150%. If you talking about gaming I very very much doubt you see games jumping from 50fps to 75fps by upgrading to any of the Conroe base CPU over the FX-60.

Hell most of the time the difference between upgrading to a fx-60 from Pentium D 930 wont increase FPS by 150%.

Cab00se

mgoldb2 said:
I am a bit confuse how you measuring this 150%. If you talking about gaming I very very much doubt you see games jumping from 50fps to 75fps by upgrading to any of the Conroe base CPU over the FX-60.

Hell most of the time the difference between upgrading to a fx-60 from Pentium D 930 wont increase FPS by 150%.

on that note: what's the potential gain seen from jumping from a x2 3800 to an x2 4400

mgoldb2

VIP Member
Cab00se said:
on that note: what's the potential gain seen from jumping from a x2 3800 to an x2 4400
I assume you are talking about FPS in video games when asking that question.

Well in most games you more likely to be bottle neck from the video card so jumping from an x2 3800 to an x2 4400 properly an under 5fps increase.

Even if you have a high end video card the gains usually small. Let’s take a look at oblivion since it one of the higher spec required games out there.

You see something similar to this

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2747&p=3

That is using a system with x1900XT in crossfire

Last edited: