Android Apps

Aastii

VIP Member
I have just got my first smart phone and am looking for any "necessary" apps and any games I can play to fill some time on the commute to and from work.

Already got apps I need for my clan (TS3, XFMobile), as well as foursquare and appkiller

mihir

VIP Member
I was waiting for this thread.Someplace to discuss android apps.
Xconstruct(game worth buying not just the trial)
Air Control(game)
Sky Scanner(if you travel out of city a lot)
Local Newspaper App
If you have rooted your phone then Blueput droid
Something to keep the data usage in check like onavo.
Some of the apps which I use
Astro File Manager
A couple of Document viewers like mobi doc and etc, like many of them do not detect odp and odt so I had to download a different reader for it.
Adobe Pdf reader
Archi Droid
Apk installer
An ebook reader like Aldiko(Highly recommended) or the Amazon Kindle ebook reader
Photoshop Express
Dropbox
Wordpress Client
FTP client

Also if you are lazy then
VLC remote
Bittorrent Remote
And a remote mouse and keyboard app.

Last edited:

tremmor

Don't know much about the games. Still like checkers, chess and backgammon. lots of them there. Haven't had my phone long. One of my kids bought me a Motorola 4G Android. Get the internet etc and on there account. My statement is related to a new toy they gave me yesterday. A Slingshot SOLO. Got it set up to the cable box and works with the laptop. Get full control of the tv on the cable box. Maybe tomorrow i will buy the app for it. Watch tv and control my cable box. Do i need it? NO.......its a toy for me. And the tv works anywhere through the internet.
just a thought if your interested. Yes, i live in the states. Don't know if it works in UK.
Interesting though.

speedyink

VIP Member
I have just got my first smart phone and am looking for any "necessary" apps and any games I can play to fill some time on the commute to and from work.

Already got apps I need for my clan (TS3, XFMobile), as well as foursquare and appkiller

I'd recommend system panel lite rather than app killer. More like a task manager. Also only kill tasks that are causing issues, or if it's a large game or something that doesn't stop when you're done. Going around killing tasks just because they're open doesn't help your phone at all.

Apps I recommend:
Root Explorer, or just Explorer by speed software (great file manager)
3g watchdog for keeping an eye on your data
Beautiful Widgets (A great, customizable home clock, well worth the buck)
Gingerbread keyboard (way prefer stock to the various customizations manufacturers add)
One punch notes (great note app with widget support)
paper camera is really neat, I paid 10 cents for it on sale, but it would be worth a dollar too, some pretty neat effects in there
Widget Locker (adds a bunch of customization to your lock screen, worth the dollar)
Launcherpro, I almost hesitate to recommend it, as it's an older home launcher, but I always end up going back to it for it's awesome calender widget (although there's a few other good ones with it as well), great customization, speed/smoothness, and it's more polished than others I've used.

There are a bunch of good games available too, but I'm not too sure what they're like on a touchscreen, since I have the Xperia Play. So yeah, I didn't bother listing those, but I can if you want

Last edited:

Troncoso

VIP Member
A Game You Can't Beat - game
Flashlight - has a widget for easy access
IM+ - If you use IM a lot, this let's you hold all your accounts
iris - personal assistant; fun to play with
Google music - better than the stock music player

Motorcharge

advanced task killer
angry birds
beercloud
camera zoom fx
flashlight
free running
imdb
mixology
moon+ reader
no root screenshot it
opera mini
paper camera
pdanet 3.02
pudding camera
qr droid
retro camera
robot unicorn attack
tapatalk
the weather channel
tip calculator
win remote
windows phone 7 theme (even if you dont like the look, it damn near doubled my battery life)

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Just remember for every app you download if it something that updates constantly, your battery will go dead very quickly. Always check to see if the update schedule can be changed to a few hours or even manually.

Geoff

VIP Member
My personal favorites are:

My Data Manager (lets you monitor how much data you use on mobile broadband or WiFi, and how much each apps use - very useful for tiered data plans)

Open Garden WiFi Tether (create a wireless hotspot for clients to connect to, only available if you root your phone)

GoSMS (far superior messaging program, IMO)

Beautiful Widgets (several different skins, styles, and size widgets for weather, clock, and home)

SwiftKey X (my favorite aftermarket keyboard)

Congratulations

You can download these free apps from the Android market:

Utilities:

1 Tap Cleaner
Antivirus
App 2 SD Free

Games:

3D Bowling
Basketball Shot
Bubble Blast 2
Flick Field Goal
Jewels Star
Tetris Deluxe

Live Wallpaper:

Celtic Garden Free
Koi Free (from Kittehface)
My Beach Free
Season Zen Free

It's a nice trend that more can now be stored under SD memory.

Last edited:

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
The most important one - Where's My Droid! You text it a keyword and it will alarm so you can find it! If you still can't find it, you can send a separate keyword to turn the GPS on and send you a location on Google Maps!

kobaj

VIP Member
I was not expecting so many of you to use task killers. Considering since Froyo they are absolutely worthless.

Anyway, mah list.

First off, root and rom your phone. (CM9 is coming out soon, yay!)

One time use utilities (a lot of these come with cm7)
AdFree - get rid of ads
Adobe Reader - pdf
BatteryCalibrator - recalibrate your battery: To get maximum life use in combination with a tool called Current Widget
Rom manager - to manage your roms
Spare Parts Plus - to manage your system
OS Monitor - to monitor cpu usage and the like

Apps
3G watchdog - keep track of data usage
Anti Droid Theft - keep track of your phone
Barcode Scanner - read qr codes
Calculus Tools - I'm a math geek
Dolphin Browser HD - Must have browser
Gas Buddy - App isn't very good, but when it is, you get the cheapest gas in town!
Game Dev Story - fun little game
Google Goggles - App isn't very good, but sometimes fun to Google stuff with
Hacker's Keyboard - BEST keyboard
Handcent SMS - BEST text messaging app (I've used them all, trust me)
Hybrid Stopwatch - very good timer
MX Video Player - watch /any/ video file format on your phone
Note Everything - note some stuff
Terminal Emulator - cause everyone is a leet hacker
Urban Spoon - find good foods around you
Widget Locker - customize your lock screen
Words Free - scrabble game

The ones in bold I probably couldn't live without :).

tremmor

The most important one - Where's My Droid! You text it a keyword and it will alarm so you can find it! If you still can't find it, you can send a separate keyword to turn the GPS on and send you a location on Google Maps!

Thought it was built into all the Droids. MOTOBLUR i have. Go on the internet at home and ping my phone with GPS. Or is this different?

tremmor

Different.

Maybe a stupid question but if i lost my cell phone how do i txt it?
Something ya can do with Thunderbird? All i have is laptops and computers.
I used that motoblur last night with the phone i had and the GPS was turned off. Still showed the location though. Just trying to get through these features. starting to like it now and getting comfortable with it. I swear this is as smart and capable of doing anything a computer do. Its a MB860 Android 4G New toy.

every time i think of texting i think of email. how do i send it to a cell phone number from Thunderbird?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Maybe a stupid question but if i lost my cell phone how do i txt it?
Something ya can do with Thunderbird? All i have is laptops and computers.
I used that motoblur last night with the phone i had and the GPS was turned off. Still showed the location though. Just trying to get through these features. starting to like it now and getting comfortable with it. I swear this is as smart and capable of doing anything a computer do. Its a MB860 Android 4G New toy.

every time i think of texting i think of email. how do i send it to a cell phone number from Thunderbird?

Have someone else text your phone with those keywords.

I just use Google Voice or have someone else text it.

Where's My Droid turns the GPS on (when you send the GPS keyword) and you get a reply within 5 minutes.

In regards to emailing a text, see this link: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/email-to-sms/

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Speaking of which, thinking of upgrading to the Samsung Samsung Galaxy S ll Epic 4G. Anyone got any on hands experience or reviews about the phone? I've looked on Sprint about the reviews and for the most part they are good. But some are complaining about the LOS (loss of Signal) issue. Currently have the HTC EVO 4G and have had some issues with it rebooting and freezing.