Android Apps

speedyink

VIP Member
Antivirus on your phone is NOT required, and won't stop all apps from making calls. Just like with a PC, be smart. Don't download wallpapers and apps from the market from unknown Russian authors with no reviews and few downloads, and look at the permissions they require. I have never used antivirus on my phone and never run into problems.

This, right here.

I'm not concerned about using up my minutes

because I have an unlimited plan on minutes along with text messaging through Cricket (sort of like an insurance plan).

Another app you may like is Speedx 3D (great graphics).

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
because I have an unlimited plan on minutes along with text messaging through Cricket (sort of like an insurance plan).

Another app you may like is Speedx 3D (great graphics).
You still need to be concerned, apps can call 900 numbers and text numbers where you pay insane amounts per minute/text.

tremmor

You still need to be concerned, apps can call 900 numbers and text numbers where you pay insane amounts per minute/text.

Its getting better all the WRXGuy1. Im curious what the task killer does though. Is it a way of closing a program or does it uninstall the program.

Geoff

VIP Member
Its getting better all the WRXGuy1. Im curious what the task killer does though. Is it a way of closing a program or does it uninstall the program.
Task killers were big a few years ago, not so much anymore since the Android OS has improved to help solve some of the issues that task killers were created to fix.

Think of your phone like a computer. You open a browser, go back to the home screen, open up your e-mail, open up a game, etc. All of those things were still running in the background, taking up resources and killing your battery. Now though the OS is better at putting apps in a sleep state, or closing out of them completely if you open an app that is resource intensive.

A rule of thumb about apps and...

In the review section, look for a user average of 4.0 and above because apps with lower ratings are questionable; also apps can work on one phone and not another and vice-versa.

I seem to recall that...

calling 900 numbers doesn't mean you get automatically charged because it must be confirmed first that you want to use that 900 number's service. I'll be discussing this further with my Cricket store rep.

tremmor

calling 900 numbers doesn't mean you get automatically charged because it must be confirmed first that you want to use that 900 number's service. I'll be discussing this further with my Cricket store rep.

That may be true but it is scary they might be able to. Theoretically they could get on for hours racking a charge to you. Go ahead, im listening.

Geoff

VIP Member
I believe dialing it alone will rack up the charges, and what's to stop the app from pressing "1"? Text messages are another issue as well where they can charge whatever amount per text received.

mihir

VIP Member
Ok so I am on Android 4.02 on my Nexus S. I want to root my phone. My question is can I just get root access and keep my phone as it is like keeping the untouched android 4.02?

CrayonMuncher

Ok so I am on Android 4.02 on my Nexus S. I want to root my phone. My question is can I just get root access and keep my phone as it is like keeping the untouched android 4.02?

Yeah you can do that, when you root your phone you just give yourself admin access you dont need to install a new os on it.

mihir

VIP Member
Yeah you can do that, when you root your phone you just give yourself admin access you dont need to install a new os on it.

Yes but I am unable to find a tutorial to do that on ICS on Nexus S.
Also can some one recommend me an all in one backup app(using usb preferably).

Geoff

VIP Member

Yes but I am unable to find a tutorial to do that on ICS on Nexus S.
Also can some one recommend me an all in one backup app(using usb preferably).
Please don't hijack his thread, start your own.

Check out XDA, they have many guides for rooting and installing custom ROM's.

mihir

VIP Member
Please don't hijack his thread, start your own.

Check out XDA, they have many guides for rooting and installing custom ROM's.

This turned out to be a discussion thread so I thought why not just use this.
And I found a couple of guides on xda but they were a bit advanced for me. They assumed that you have rooted atleast once before.

mihir

VIP Member
Oh sorry, I was thinking you meant Galaxy Nexus - too many Nexus type phones out there, lol

Just rooted my phone. Thanks for the help. :D
My main purpose for rooting was for installing an unlocked version of google maps so that I can get voice navigation in my country. :D