Android Apps

Motorcharge

Just remember for every app you download if it something that updates constantly, your battery will go dead very quickly. Always check to see if the update schedule can be changed to a few hours or even manually.

You can set all your updates to be manual. Damn near need to since even the bloatware the carrier puts in has damn near constant updates.

Caveat about rooting your smartphone

I was not expecting so many of you to use task killers. Considering since Froyo they are absolutely worthless.

Anyway, mah list.

First off, root and rom your phone. (CM9 is coming out soon, yay!)

One time use utilities (a lot of these come with cm7)
AdFree - get rid of ads
Adobe Reader - pdf
BatteryCalibrator - recalibrate your battery: To get maximum life use in combination with a tool called Current Widget
Rom manager - to manage your roms
Spare Parts Plus - to manage your system
OS Monitor - to monitor cpu usage and the like

Apps
3G watchdog - keep track of data usage
Anti Droid Theft - keep track of your phone
Barcode Scanner - read qr codes
Calculus Tools - I'm a math geek
Dolphin Browser HD - Must have browser
Gas Buddy - App isn't very good, but when it is, you get the cheapest gas in town!
Game Dev Story - fun little game
Google Goggles - App isn't very good, but sometimes fun to Google stuff with
Hacker's Keyboard - BEST keyboard
Handcent SMS - BEST text messaging app (I've used them all, trust me)
Hybrid Stopwatch - very good timer
MX Video Player - watch /any/ video file format on your phone
Note Everything - note some stuff
Terminal Emulator - cause everyone is a leet hacker
Urban Spoon - find good foods around you
Widget Locker - customize your lock screen
Words Free - scrabble game

The ones in bold I probably couldn't live without :).

Yes you can make your phone more powerful (similar to overclocking a computer). However bear in mind these caveats:

1) You can ruin your phone
2) You would also void the warranty on the phone

Also even if you download wallpaper from the respectable Android market, you can still wind up with clinkers. For example, just yesterday, I noticed that two "live" wallpapers were actually the same one under two different titles with two different Arabic makers (I've learned from experience to be wary of Arabic wallpaper as I had one involuntarily install an icon on my front page which leads to something that I would be charged money for. Furthermore you can have some wallpaper with push notification ads. So think twice before installing any wallpaper - btw the ones I gave you are totally free without any catches).

Comment

Speaking of which, thinking of upgrading to the Samsung Samsung Galaxy S ll Epic 4G. Anyone got any on hands experience or reviews about the phone? I've looked on Sprint about the reviews and for the most part they are good. But some are complaining about the LOS (loss of Signal) issue. Currently have the HTC EVO 4G and have had some issues with it rebooting and freezing.

I know someone who has the Samsung Galaxy (but not the Epic 4G). Her phone displays one of my wallpapers far better (with colors far more vibrant than my phone). Currently Cricket is coming out with the Huawei Mercury and I'm curious to see how the display of that phone compares with the Samsung Galaxy.

Nuff said.

FuryRosewood

...ive played with alot of android phones lately, and honestly i still have found the Motorola offerings to feel more polished with better standard features, like a task killer built in

Gary24

Try these cool apps:
GOOGLE MUSIC
SWIFTKEY X
8TRACKS
PAPER CAMERA
TEXTONLY — BROWSER
BEWEATHER
GOOGLE CURRENTS
SPEAKTOIT ASSISTANT
WEBROOT SECURITY AND ANTIVIRUS

Aastii

VIP Member
Thanks for the replies guys, will have to look into as many of these as I can when I get a spare few hours :D

Speaking of which, thinking of upgrading to the Samsung Samsung Galaxy S ll Epic 4G. Anyone got any on hands experience or reviews about the phone? I've looked on Sprint about the reviews and for the most part they are good. But some are complaining about the LOS (loss of Signal) issue. Currently have the HTC EVO 4G and have had some issues with it rebooting and freezing.

I love the Galaxy SII. Before I got my phone, I had never had a smart phone, and before considering getting a smart phone, I tried the SII and it is the phone that changed my mind. It has won so many awards and rightly so. I've used several flavours of iPhone and HTC phones but none come close to it. Screen quality, speed, size, all of it is perfect.

I actually went into the Orange shop the other day asking if I could upgrade and they said not until 6 months into the contract :(

turbodiesel

You can download these free apps from the Android market:

Utilities:

1 Tap Cleaner
Antivirus
App 2 SD Free

Games:

3D Bowling
Basketball Shot
Bubble Blast 2
Flick Field Goal
Jewels Star
Tetris Deluxe

Live Wallpaper:

Celtic Garden Free
Koi Free (from Kittehface)
My Beach Free
Season Zen Free

It's a nice trend that more can now be stored under SD memory.

they made a antivirus for phone ?

PohTayToez

Amazon App - Great for price checking in store, you can just scan the barcode
Docs - Google docs integration, gotta have it.
Chrome to Phone - Send pics/links from your browser on any machine to your phone.
Dropbox - Easy file transfer
Google Googles - Really cool, just try it!
Google Music - Stream your entire music collection to your phone.
Netflix - Self explanitory
Ringdroid - Make custom ringtones from MP3s easily.
Trap -Really simple but crazy addicting game.
Words Free - Add me!

Geoff

VIP Member
Yes.

rogue apps can make you call premium numbers numerous times an hour. I would rather not find my bill has a few hundred £ extra just for not installing an AV

oh i didn't know that tend not to use my phone or keep up with the latest phones
Antivirus on your phone is NOT required, and won't stop all apps from making calls. Just like with a PC, be smart. Don't download wallpapers and apps from the market from unknown Russian authors with no reviews and few downloads, and look at the permissions they require. I have never used antivirus on my phone and never run into problems.

You can install AV and expect it to stop any and all rogue apps 100% of the time.

tremmor

Antivirus on your phone is NOT required, and won't stop all apps from making calls. Just like with a PC, be smart. Don't download wallpapers and apps from the market from unknown Russian authors with no reviews and few downloads, and look at the permissions they require. I have never used antivirus on my phone and never run into problems.

You can install AV and expect it to stop any and all rogue apps 100% of the time.

Ok im confused now. The comment about an app using my minutes. How in the blue moon does it do that? They would have to use my cell phone to use my minutes, right? I only have maybe 3 apps free ive used. just playing and know nothing about the cell phones and use very few minutes a month. Does it all and just play with it. its a Motorola 4G Android. This is sounding like a concern now.

Geoff

VIP Member
Ok im confused now. The comment about an app using my minutes. How in the blue moon does it do that? They would have to use my cell phone to use my minutes, right? I only have maybe 3 apps free ive used. just playing and know nothing about the cell phones and use very few minutes a month. Does it all and just play with it. its a Motorola 4G Android. This is sounding like a concern now.
When you download apps, it tells you what permissions you are giving that application access to. One of which is the ability for the application to make calls which may cost you money, now some times you want the application to do that, but if you are downloading a new live wallpaper there is no reason for it to read your text messages or call numbers.

This sounds worse then it really is, honestly I never read the permissions of apps - then again most of the apps I download are some of the very popular games like Angry Birds, or from authors/companies I know are legitimate. If an application I'm downloading has poor reviews, I always read them to make sure it's not a rogue app.

tremmor

Where are these permissions at? maybe i was quick to download and satisfied with free. Yes i will pay more attention to it. Still though, question remains where are permissions.
thanks for the education. did not know. better now than late.

just dont recall anything about permissions.

Geoff

VIP Member
Where are these permissions at? maybe i was quick to download and satisfied with free. Yes i will pay more attention to it. Still though, question remains where are permissions.
thanks for the education. did not know. better now than late.

just dont recall anything about permissions.

When you click download, on the screen that says accept it shows the permissions below.