antec 900

Kornowski

VIP Member
lol, It was more of a rhetorical question :p
I was telling myself that it would be a waste of money for that reason, then doubting it... :eek: lol

PabloTeK

How long is the 8800GTS? baring in mind it doesn't have a power connector on the top, it's on the end and because of that you may take out a couple of drive slots.

Geoff

VIP Member
How long is the 8800GTS? baring in mind it doesn't have a power connector on the top, it's on the end and because of that you may take out a couple of drive slots.
I don't know about the 8800GTS, but the 2900XT fits in the 900 perfectly 2" to spare.

SirKenin

banned
The Radeon X1950 Pros just barely fit in mine. The power cable is jammed up against the back of the harddrives. Meh. Not impressed.

Geoff

VIP Member
If I didn't have a hard drive here there would be another inch of free space:

IMG_2806.jpg

Geoff

VIP Member
What temps are you getting on the Q6600 Geoff?
Not too good actually, I believe I may have put on a bit too much thermal paste. My CPU is idling around 45C @ 3.6GHz 1.4v. When I get around to it I may buy a new cooler and use a bit less thermal paste.

SirKenin

banned
Need I say more?

001nw7.jpg

I don't bother too much with routing cables, as I'm in it moving things around about once a week. Never again will I buy this case.

SirKenin

banned
Yes, yes I do. I hate it with a passion. There. I said it. I break the mold. I defy the masses. I stand up on my little soap box and yell "I hate this damn case!!'

haha

For anyone serious about computers, that monkeys around all the time, the case is a piece of crap. TWO HOURS removing a screw that fell into that PSU. I had to disassemble the damn thing to get the screw out. I was sooo mad.

The drives that are in there are a WD RaptorX 150GB, WD Raptor 74GB and a WD Caviar SE 160GB (that drive is a POS too, but as you can see it's going to be a nightmare pulling it out of there.

I had the Intel cooler on there before, and switched it with the Zalman. I had to rip the case to shreds to swap them. I was even more frustrated by the time I was done.

Nope, never again. My temps are good though, hovering around 36 most of the time... but still. Blah.

SirKenin

banned
You want a case? Like, seriously want a case? These are cases. Pardon the dust, it can get really dusty in here.

002cc8.jpg

Alternatively, this is a fabulous case. I have one in inventory that I used before this 900 piece of crap. Maybe that's why I'm so biased:

plusviewii000uu5.jpg

Geoff

VIP Member
Need I say more?

I don't bother too much with routing cables, as I'm in it moving things around about once a week. Never again will I buy this case.
If you have your computer in a dusty environment, you should have either bought a dust shield for the fans, purchased a case that didn't have a giant fan on the top, or do what most of us here do and clean it out once and a while.

For anyone serious about computers, that monkeys around all the time, the case is a piece of crap. TWO HOURS removing a screw that fell into that PSU. I had to disassemble the damn thing to get the screw out. I was sooo mad.
How did you drop a screw in the PSU? You should never be installing/moving things around with the case standing upright. If you had it lying on the side like you should have been, it wouldn't have been an issue. There are also hundreds of cases where the PSU is mounted on the bottom, it's very common.

You want a case? Like, seriously want a case? These are cases. Pardon the dust, it can get really dusty in here.
Are you serious? I don't see how you could ever actually recommend using a server case for a home desktop. From the looks of it that would not house a crossfire/SLI setup, nor could it cool it properly.

Alternatively, this is a fabulous case. I have one in inventory that I used before this 900 piece of crap. Maybe that's why I'm so biased:
It may work alright, although that case looks extremely cheap, especially the outside.

SirKenin

banned
I don't want to pull the case out, unplug it, heave it around, etc. So, I leave it in place when I swap cards out.

And no, I don't recommend a case like that for a home desktop.. It was kinda tongue in cheek.. :p Those are really serious computers, that cost several times what your average computer costs (that one on the bottom is $10,000). However, that one on the bottom is a 4U. If you had a riser card it would do the trick. I tell you, the cooling in those things is out of this world. They move a ton of air, although they're really loud. I have two other servers here that run all the time, so the noise in here can be rather deafening. It's funny...sorta

That case is anything but cheap (the Antec). It's actually fairly pricey, but it's ten times the case the 900 is. It's meant to be a file server case, and the inside is engineered a zillion times better than the 900. You can pull the drive cages out in seconds, thanks to the quick release mechanism, for instance. Edit: I should also mention that the case is practically indestructable.. A big plus in my books. It even has a quick release side panel *glares at the stupid thumbscrews on the 900*

Looks aren't everything.. As a matter of fact, if you're serious about computers looks mean very little. Functionality is key... and in that respect the 900 fails the test miserably.

Last edited:

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
As a matter of fact, if you're serious about computers looks mean very little. Functionality is key... and in that respect the 900 fails the test miserably.

Did you mean to say, "As a matter of opinion?"

I'm serious about computers, and I think looks are important. The 900 is an awesome looking case. That's why I can overlook the fact that it has thumbscrews, a shitty 3.5" drive adapter, and limited room inside. The case is not hard to work with, IMO, and for the price, it's one of the best mid-towers on the market.

For anyone serious about computers, that monkeys around all the time, the case is a piece of crap.

I'm serious about computers, but I generally install my parts and leave them alone.

Last edited:

PC eye

banned
Did you mean to say, "As a matter of opinion?"

I'm serious about computers, and I think looks are important. The 900 is an awesome looking case. That's why I can overlook the fact that it has thumbscrews, a shitty 3.5" drive adapter, and limited room inside. The case is not hard to work with, IMO, and for the price, it's one of the best mid-towers on the market.

I'm serious about computers, but I generally install my parts and leave them alone.

That's the smart move leaving things alone unless upgrading or seeing a need to make any changes. Periodic cleaning to clean out dust and debris on the other hand will be the biggest help in seeing the temps kept down since a blanket of dust acts like a thermal blanket in cold weather seeing temps rise!

(talking about blankets of dust I just pulled one off in a case that saw total neglect by the owner needlessly! :rolleyes: )

One thing you will find out fast is that there plus and minus factors no matter what style or type of case you use. That's why the real techs make the big money solving everyone's headaches! :p