Battlefield 3 Thread

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I have just got done playing some of the single player campaign on my 6870 and it would pause every now and then. Not sure what that is all about. I really don't feel like shelling out another $250 for the 6950. Is it pausing for anyone else?

DarthBrownie

After 2 hours of testing out the Xbox 360 version with HD textures on, Single player plays flawlessly but, it's short and reminds you of CoD half the time. Multiplayer of course is where the game shines its true colours and delivers what the battlefield series is known for. It is the 1st day so expect a lot of server crash's and lags since people will be buying this game and play the online features a hell lot more than campaign mode. It does have online pass so for people thinking of buying this pre-owned needs to fork over extra money to enable online multiplayer.

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
Hey guys, I haven't posted in a while but I'm back to discuss some BF3!

After playing both the Alpha and Beta I was quite looking forward to a finish product. Well, I was kind of disappointed.

1) The 3D spotting system is horrible. With this large amount of foliage and lighting affects it's damn near impossible to spot people! I do not understand why they don't just revert back to the good old minimap spotting system.

3) Speaking of minimaps, it's also horrible! I can't make heads or tails out of any of the maps. It also doesn't help that it's bright blue and blends in with half the level. Moreover, the zoom functions seem a bit off, so that it's either way too close in or WAY too far out.

4) The command rose is lacking. The little lag you get before it pops up is annoying too. Moreover, I'm missing my basic ammo please and medic call options! Furthermore, they seem to be missing a squad command rose.

5) Squad functions are lacking. Between the lack of squad command rose and the lack of clear way to chose your own squad, what the hell Dice?

6) Lack of Commander. Oh well, this will probably never be added. It's a step back for the Battlefield Series.

Now for other things I've noticed (some good some bad)

7) It's really glitchy. (Sadly), it's too be expected of any modern games. I guess we'll just have to wait for patches.

8) The sound is absolutely AMAZING. I get tingles in my spine when bullets wiz past me.

9) Graphics are great, though they seem to be tuned down a bit in multiplayer.

10) I don't lag! I'm running at near maximum settings (everything maxed besides AA) with a Q6600, 4GB ram and 560ti. No lag!

11) The single player campaign is almost exactly like Call of Duty. Sadly, I guess that's that Dice has to do in order to compete in the 12 year old gamers market. I would have much rather Dice just used the extra programming hours towards a better multiplayer experience.

Machin3

11) The single player campaign is almost exactly like Call of Duty. Sadly, I guess that's that Dice has to do in order to compete in the 12 year old gamers market. I would have much rather Dice just used the extra programming hours towards a better multiplayer experience.

Damn, I miss the Instant Battle feature from BF2 and the earlier BF games. :(

Kewl Munky

I updated origin, my graphics driver to the one nvidia just released for battlefiled 3, and got the update for battlefield right away. I tried playing it in SLI thinking it was just the beta that didn't work right with it but this full release still crashes when I SLI my GTX 285's. I turned SLI off and it runs, decent on medium. Is there a way to fix this or do I have to wait for a patch?

JLuchinski

The game keeps freezing on me so I have to a hard restart. It started in Origin when it was downloading the update. Awesome.

Phy

Personally I hate the way Origins demands to be the middle man. I was surprised at how well my gtx 465 handles the game though, default settings on high. Current problem is the multiplayer keeps locking up on me.

Also, too much foliage.

JLuchinski

Yeah Origin sucks. I lowered my RAM from 1600 to 1300 now it works flawlessly, I bought a new motherboard today and I don't think it was doing well with my stick, but all seems well now. I'm loving the sp so far, reminds me a bit of COD but it's still a lot of fun.

skidude

3) Speaking of minimaps, it's also horrible! I can't make heads or tails out of any of the maps. It also doesn't help that it's bright blue and blends in with half the level. Moreover, the zoom functions seem a bit off, so that it's either way too close in or WAY too far out.
Totally agree with this, very frustrating not being able to see a large-scale map of the entire battle when you are in-game.

8) The sound is absolutely AMAZING. I get tingles in my spine when bullets wiz past me.
Agree with this even more, the sound design is unbelievable.

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
Just finished the single player. That has got to be one of the shortest campaigns I've ever played. Also seems like a rip off of Blops campaign. Hopefully they'll patch up multiplayer soon so it's more enjoyable.

SuperDuperMe

Just finished the single player. That has got to be one of the shortest campaigns I've ever played. Also seems like a rip off of Blops campaign. Hopefully they'll patch up multiplayer soon so it's more enjoyable.

Surely it cant be shorter than homefront?

How was SP, any really memorable moments, and are weapon attributes similar to MP, such as bullet drop, leading onto your target etc.

salvage-this

How was SP, any really memorable moments, and are weapon attributes similar to MP, such as bullet drop, leading onto your target etc.

It's short but I still thing it was a good campaign. good story IMO and it had enough run and gun and sneaking to make it interesting.

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy

I'm not sure, as I've never played homefront, but I finished the campaign in about 5 hours on normal difficulty.

I've been spoiled of single players ever single Half life 2 :(.

CrazyMike

Alright, here is my take on the game thus so far:

Pro:
1) awesome graphics
2) a plus with the interactive environment
3) nice fluid motion through the game, no spots where you seem to "be lost". As well as the nice hurdle jump over things while running is awesome
4) Controls are easy to use and get use to them fast.
5) sound is incredible
6) very tactical game, can't just really go guns blazing sort of thing.
7) during the whole game, events change. Go from in a hummer, on foot, into a jet... keeps you at the edge of your seat sort of speak.
8) Co-op campaign play.... haven't tried this, but the fact that it is there, major plus one.

Cons:
1) I have noticed in many spots, environments will appear and disappear (mostly with graffiti on walls)
2) There are glitches in the game (to be expected though. One 'level' i was able to go through almost the whole thing without running into an enemy.
3) don't like the fact that can't turn on or off flashlight as i so please.
4) Same story line basics as call of duty, as well as that freaking stupid kill cam.
5) teammates seem to go where ever you are taking cover, they then proceed to push you out of the way.(campaign)
6) difficulty levels are lacking in true difficulty. I mean hard was at some points hard, but overall, still made it through.

Over all i love the game. It has that realistic feel to it. Mainly because i think of the nice graphics, sound, and interactive environment. If it weren't for these three things, it would just be another COD.

I see you guys complaining about the mini map. I personally don't care for the mini map. To me it creates more challenge to the player by not being there. Makes the player have to know the map inside and out. Never knowing what's around the corner or anything. With a mini map in place, you could see where everything is (obstacles and scenic points) without remembering it. As well as if they included where all the players are, becomes a little too easy.

There is a lot more.... but that is pretty much my short version of the game. I will be playing this for a long while :)

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Anybody else having the issue where it game play pauses when its being saved? Other than that I have no issues.

linkin

VIP Member
Not sure john, I'm picking up my copy today. May I ask how it runs and on what settings with your 6870?