Battlefield 3 Thread

Discussion in 'Computer Games and Consoles' started by Machin3, Feb 5, 2011.

1. salvage-this

salvage-this Active Member

Yep I have the 2gb version.

I have not gotten very far in the single player but I am using about 700+ mb of vram. I can't say anything for multiplayer yet. If I am going to go over 1gb in this game, I bet it would be there. I'll keep you posted if anything changes.

EDIT: On the second level I hit 1340mb used, about 1100mb+ constantly and the dog fight mission I was around 950-1100mb for most of the mission.

On Caspian Border I am nearing 1600mb used all the time.

EDIT 2: The latest beta (beta 8) of MSI afterburner can track GPU memory usage in real time if that is easier for people.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  2. skidude

skidude New Member

Picking it up this afternoon after work, can't wait :D

3. Shane

Shane Super Moderator Staff Member

Glad i choose the 2gb version of the 6950. :p

4. salvage-this

Yeah me too. The 6950 has the power to play the game just fine. I would hate to be limited by the memory when the GPU has enough power to play the game just fine.

I feel really bad for GTX 570 owners

5. skidude

skidude New Member

:(

I still think it will run very well, though. Will find out soon.

6. Shane

Shane Super Moderator Staff Member

This is the reason why i recommend either a 6950 2gb or gtx 560ti 2gb when people ask about upgrading their GPU to play BF3 maxed.
    Lots of people still argue that running games at 1920x1080 does not require over a Gigabyte of vram. :p

Of topic i know, But GTA IV is another example, 1920x1080 maxed settings it uses 1.3-1.4 Gb of Vram on my system...i know its poorly optimised but at least the memory is there for it to use.

7. salvage-this

It will. The 570 is still a hell of a card. Not going to argue that at all. I am thinking that with the OC on my card I am getting close to the performance of a 570 will at stock. I just hope that the memory usage in BF3 will not be a problem for most users. ;)

Same here. It is way better to have more than you need. Especially since you can't upgrade it like you can regular RAM.

8. skidude

skidude New Member

That's what I'm hoping for as well. I currently don't have a 1920x1080 monitor so it won't be an issue for me but I will be getting one soon.

I absolutely hate the browser-based menu thing as well.

9. claptonman

claptonman New Member

The highest amount of RAM I've used is 1261... 19 lower than my max lol. but I'm getting great FPS so I'm happy.

10. skidude

skidude New Member

Yeah max I've used thus far is 1259mb

11. jonnyp11

jonnyp11 New Member

i hate you people, and my system doesn't even have much more ram than you guys' gfx cards do.

12. salvage-this

Good to hear. I wonder if the game trims down memory usage depending on system specs. Seems a bit out there but that would be cool if they did that.

13. claptonman

claptonman New Member

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, too.

14. skidude

skidude New Member

It must be something like that because I'm getting very smooth FPS, haven't noticed any pauses or random drops.

15. linkin

linkin VIP Member

Good thing I chose the 2GB 6950 :)

16. skidude

skidude New Member

Anyone else having constant trouble trying to connect to servers? It either sits at "joining server" forever or, when it says "logging in" it errors out and gives me a message like "connection to login server failed". This happens 9/10 times I try to join a game.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  17. Bananapie

Bananapie New Member

Negative. No problems at all.

18. JLuchinski

JLuchinski Well-Known Member

WTF? I bought the disc and it is downloading the game. I know this because it is going at a whopping 1.2 mbps and the disc isn't in the drive.

19. salvage-this

If you keep the disk in and run the installer it will say download but it rill read from the disk.

20. Troncoso

Troncoso VIP Member

Sooo.....What's the word on the mulitplayer??? Or the game in general?