Battlefield 3 Thread

linkin

VIP Member
People play WoW even though it scans your entire system for what is open and don't complain about it. Unless you say they can contact you, they can't, so where is the big problem? Unless you have something to hide, who cares

I doubt it, DICE and EA would lose out way too much by cutting off a massive section of the market. Very, very, very few people have a Sandy Bridge or Bulldozer chip, where as the majority of gamers have either a Core2, Nehalem, Athlon II or Phenom II system, and even less of those people will build an entire new system just for one game.

I see no reason why this game, which must also be compatible to outdated console technologies, will require so much power that it will jump entire generations. No game out now needs an i5/7 to run or even struggles without one, and there is 0 reason to believe why this game wouldn't run well on the "average" technology being used

Well they ditched windows xp so who knows.

Aastii

VIP Member
Well they ditched windows xp so who knows.

That is because they went DX10/11 only. You are talking about them finally moving to the sort of technology that was out when ATI 3xxx, Nvidia 8xxx, C2D and Phenom/Athlon were out. It isn't some amazing new thing or technology, and it isn't the first game that doesn't have XP compatibility

SuperDuperMe

They could take the pcitures of me off my hdd and pin me up...i wouldnt care at the end of the day i would have battlefield 3, none of this is going to stop me from buying the game.

I dont care what they have access to i have no money in my bank and nothing illicit so am cool with the eula.

Okedokey

That is because they went DX10/11 only.

As you would probably agree mate, :p, several games have been xp exluded before, but the real reason for this move is that they only have to develop for non-legacy, and a fairly constrained set of hardware types. Also the CPU, GPU interface is much more efficient. The alternative is Crysis, which was never going to be pretty from a coding perspective having to cover dx9 console type rubbish. :D

I doubt it, DICE and EA would lose out way too much by cutting off a massive section of the market. Very, very, very few people have a Sandy Bridge or Bulldozer chip, where as the majority of gamers have either a Core2, Nehalem, Athlon II or Phenom II system, and even less of those people will build an entire new system just for one game.

They said as much in their slides (slide 6 http://www.slideshare.net/DICEStudio/directx-11-rendering-in-battlefield-3). Plus although Frostbite 2 engine is optimised, it is going to be an extremely CPU intensive game. Thus, i think many people will, and probbaly have, upgraded for this game. It happens all the time. Crysis is the case in point. Had there been technology that 'could' power it to max then, people woud've bought it. I would've.

Last edited:

wellhellothere

I'm holding off from buying anything until i've seen how it plays. After the first week or two of release, there shouuld be a benchmark for what you need to run it on max... then its shopping spree time :p

wellhellothere

Good news! Although i doubt i'll actually switch to Ultra High until next year, maybe longer...

Not too sure about this:

Another addition to Battlefield 3 is that vehicles now have regenerative armor: if your vehicle gets hit, you can get behind cover to regenerate its health, much like soldiers do. This is particularly useful to non-engineers who can’t repair their own vehicles.

.. surely takes the point out of the engineer?

That being said...

Vehicles can now also get disabled, as we’ve known for a while. Vehicles like tanks get disabled after taking enough damage, and are unable to move, but their main gun and weapons are still functioning — at least engineers won’t have to chase a vehicle to repair it now.

mrjack

VIP Member
.. surely takes the point out of the engineer?

It's not as bad as it may seem.

Battleblog said:
Past a certain damage threshold, vehicles will not recover armor. And with heavy damage comes the horrifying and adrenaline-inducing experience of having one’s vehicle disabled. In the case of the tank, it would slow to a crawl. Fire and smoke would signal that it is in dire need of manual repairs, and that it is only a matter of time before it explodes. But here’s the beauty of the new system: Its weapons will still be functioning, turning this into a high risk situation that can play out in a number of ways.

Battleblog #9

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Another addition to Battlefield 3 is that vehicles now have regenerative armor: if your vehicle gets hit, you can get behind cover to regenerate its health, much like soldiers do. This is particularly useful to non-engineers who can’t repair their own vehicles.

Not really a fan of this regenerative armor,Since when does a tank in real life repair itself. :rolleyes:

Alot of people in the BF3 forum have said that regenerative armor will lead to alot of camping in tanks etc but as long as we have decent Chopper/Jet pilots they should be able to deal with them so i dont think it will be such a big deal.

I cant wait to see what Wake Island will be like though in BF3 i bet it will look amazing.

Bananapie

Not really a fan of this regenerative armor,Since when does a tank in real life repair itself. :rolleyes:

Alot of people in the BF3 forum have said that regenerative armor will lead to alot of camping in tanks etc but as long as we have decent Chopper/Jet pilots they should be able to deal with them so i dont think it will be such a big deal.

I cant wait to see what Wake Island will be like though in BF3 i bet it will look amazing.

Yeah, definitely not a fan of the regenerative armor. Soon, regenerating health! Get shot, hide and heal then rape the guy that is waiting for you to pop your head out... Sound's awfully familiar... OH, Call of Duty. :mad:

wellhellothere

Regenerating health is a crap idea aswell - i was hoping they'd scrap that, give's Medics more of a purpose.

I'm sure it will still work brilliantly though

jonnyp11

it's prob more of a, wait like 2 mins with no damage added then you slowly regain some, since most people tend to be a$$e$ and don't repair you, they wait for you to get out then repair it and take it, or take it while you are trying to repair it, so in that sense, it is good.

DarthBrownie

Usually the people who don't repair friendly vehicles, heal or revive fellow teammates, and give out ammo to a group who just raped an opposing squad are either newbs or CoD players. Not hating CoD as it is a very fun game still but, this is different game than that overly popular fps shooter.

jonnyp11

^^True dat man, hate when people say cod is the ultimate shooter, so much lag and bs in there, is fun sometimes though, just they're all so similar, i've prob paid like 400 with dlc's and buying it at launch for like the same game over the past few years, i love bf cuz it's just so much different, and fun

claptonman

I got into a PC vs console battle on there... Said that anyone expecting the xbox and ps3 versions to look this good is sadly mistaken.

Then someone called me a PC fanboy, and I said that I like xbox and play on my friends, but the fact is xbox won't look as good without dx11 and updated hardware. Some people...

Also, it lagged in mine, too, but youtube at 1080 and fullscreen gets screwy when viewing an embedded video. Try going to the actual youtube page.