Be Your Own ISP

Tayl

VIP Member
Yes that's more than possible. I have ran various things for people on my internal home servers I have configured however the only barrier you will hit with more than, say, 5 users is bandwidth. Unless you purchase some sort of business line you will run into huge bottlenecks with websites when you host them for multiple customers as if they host large files, images, pages etc and they all get used at the same time, you are going to see your bandwidth get very full on use and with a home Internet connection you are going to notice very slow speeds in comparison to a proper webhost provider. Slow speeds = customers leaving.

Also, what you have to bare in mind is that when you dedicate a server / servers to providing such a service, you limit yourself to how much you can use your own home Internet. Downloading is out the window once you start a business like this ran from your own home as if you clog up your own Internet connection with downloads, you basically give no bandwidth at all to the websites so when people visit them, they take AGES to load due to it. So to stop this from happening, you need to use your Internet as little as possible.

Very silly idea in my opinion. Running such a thing from your own home. It would be smarter just to purchase your own dedi server in a proper data centre and rent out spaces of it to people wanting to host a website. At least you would have absolutely NO issues what so ever in that sense. Also what you have to bare in mind is that you need to be around pretty much 24/7 to make sure it's constantly running. And if any faults happen, that you can sort them within an hour or two MAX. Then you have to think of power consumption at home as leaving that many servers on will use up a fair amount of power.

In short, yes it will work, but it's a very silly approach to go about becoming a webhost when doing it properly doesn't cost much more and works out better and cheaper in the long run.

Breaks.

Last edited:
Imagine the profit for hosting ppl's websites

What OS would I use to configure this? And translate what that article just said in English.

Thanks

Last edited:

g4m3rof1337

Wait.
Is it 'Impossible' to be my own ISP, like, how I have DSL. Could I be that?

And, I not interested in hosting websites, I will though, in a few months. For a school project. Lol.

Thanks.

I just want to host my own internet for myself and maybe a few other people, but that would be on a LAN connection.

I just want to host a couple of websites, a file server and an email server, is that hard? My Verizon upload speed is 736Kb/s. Can someone help me out here?

g4m3rof1337

Oh, you asked a question. Lol.

Sorry.

Can I actually take the place of my current ISP?

With a home server?

Thanks

The Qban

if anyone is going to host email servers, or file servers, or websites, make sure you have alot of security in place. way to often have i seen this, where people get hacked because they dont take care of any of this. if you are going to do some hosting, invest in some better equipment then what comes standard fro your home pc. Routers, Firewalls, IDS, anti-virus, hardware firewalls, etc...

Geoff

VIP Member
Oh, you asked a question. Lol.

Sorry.

Can I actually take the place of my current ISP?

With a home server?

Thanks
No because you need your current ISP to provide you with internet. Your DSL provider is basically doing the same thing you want to do, but on a larger scale. They purchase internet lines (probably some form of an OC line), and distribute it to everyone else.

tlarkin

VIP Member
This won't work for many reason

1) your home connection sucks and once you share it to like 3 clients your bandwidth would be equal to dial up or worse

2) Your ISP probably won't allow it, and could probably sue you

3) You need a decent back bone, and setting up an email server is usually also not allowed by your local ISP. I have had my email servers shut down in the past on road runner, they didn't like me running it, and let me know that they would shut off my service if I didn't take it down.

4) Most ISPs these days block certain ports anyways to their end users, so you have to do a lot of port forwarding

5) Your customer's wouldn't stay at all, your service would suck.

You would have to rent some fiber from someone and set up a decent back bone and then have some people who really knew what they were doing to set up your back bone, your routers and servers and then pay them well.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Your ISP probably does not allow mail servers to be running and also they block all kinds of ports for various reasons.

Sure its nice to learn the stuff but you will run into lots of problems.

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
T1 wouldnt get you THAT far either, thats onle 1Mb up and 1Mb down... its only about 3-6 times faster thatn a standard DSL line in terms of upload speed... So even though you will pay an obscene amount for it, it really wont help all that much on anything even remotely large scale

T1 wouldnt get you THAT far either, thats onle 1Mb up and 1Mb down... its only about 3-6 times faster thatn a standard DSL line in terms of upload speed... So even though you will pay an obscene amount for it, it really wont help all that much on anything even remotely large scale

No kidding...T1 is targeted for reliability

The Qban

Get something thats dedicated and reliable. look at fiber lines. Maybe OC12. but your looking at money. once you get to OC12 and up, your looking at what companies use for backbone lines, ISP backbones, etc. $$$, not really worth it.