Be Your Own ISP

tlarkin

VIP Member
I once read that before google owned its own backbone, their bandwidth costs would be near $10,000 per a day (on a peak day)....just think of that and then thin of how much it costs to lease high end fiber.

Google now owns its own fiber now I think.

Cleric7x9

you dont need an OC12 line to run a few webservers lol. if verizon FIOS is available in your area you can get that for not much more money than a cable connection, and that provides around 400kb/sec upload bandwidth which is MORE than enough to hose a couple websites, email servers, or even an FTP server.

not to mention with FIOS you get other things that are necessary for web hosting including a static IP address. ppl dotn realize but cable and i believe DSL as well have dynamic IP addresses which makes webhosting a nightmare.

if you are serious about this, you need a static IP address, a host machine (or more than one networked together), and some decent security measures. after that, its all just software!

Cleric7x9

ok, there is a big miscommunication about what an ISP is. An ISP, or Internet Service Provider is a company that provides a connection from your house to the outside world. That is to say that they run wires to your house so that you can have a connection, and they manage any servers, routers, switches, etc that are needed for you to connect to the internet.

that being said, unless you want to buy millions of miles of wire and connect it up to everyone elses house, or pay huge amounts of money to lease the cables that are already in place, you cannot start your own ISP.

the reason that the guy who wrote that article titles it "how to be your own ISP" is because the vast majority of ISPs (cable, DSL, dialup, etc) offer certain services like email. what he means is you can make your own email address. so, for example, if you have verizon DSL, your email address is probably something like [email protected]. if you set up your own email service (email is a type of webservice), then instead of your emails being hosted (stored, sent, recieved) on verizon's servers, they are stored on your servers. that way your email address can be yourname@yourIPaddress. if you purchase a domain name, then you can link that domain name to your IP address. so if you buy the domain name whitelights.com or whatever is available yourname@yourIPaddress becomes [email protected] so people dont need to remember your IP address.

long story short, you can make your own webservices from home (pretty much anything including websites, email, FTP, or game servers) using the info from that article, but you cannot actually make your own ISP. poor wording on the author's choice

g4m3rof1337

When he said 'Be your own ISP' I thought of being an actual ISP.

But if I made my own server, could I get free domain support?

Thanks

Cleric7x9

no, i dont know anywhere that will give you a free domain name. but you can usually buy them for $10 and then renew them for $10 every year. its not really expensive unless someone already owns it, then they can charge whatever they want for it. its called Domain name squatting and ppl make a living doing it. they buy up anything they can then sell it. like the guy who bought www.goggle.com got a ton of money because it was so close to www.google.com and it got a lot of hits

Geoff

VIP Member
not to mention with FIOS you get other things that are necessary for web hosting including a static IP address. ppl dotn realize but cable and i believe DSL as well have dynamic IP addresses which makes webhosting a nightmare.
Depends who you have, because my DSL provider uses static IP's for it's clients.

tlarkin

VIP Member
you dont need an OC12 line to run a few webservers lol. if verizon FIOS is available in your area you can get that for not much more money than a cable connection, and that provides around 400kb/sec upload bandwidth which is MORE than enough to hose a couple websites, email servers, or even an FTP server.

if you are serious about this, you need a static IP address, a host machine (or more than one networked together), and some decent security measures. after that, its all just software!

Actually verizon blocks standard ports, ie port 80 so you will have to do some tweaking, plus we are talking about being an ISP not hosting web pages.

ok, there is a big miscommunication about what an ISP is. An ISP, or Internet Service Provider is a company that provides a connection from your house to the outside world. That is to say that they run wires to your house so that you can have a connection, and they manage any servers, routers, switches, etc that are needed for you to connect to the internet.

This is very true, but hardly every ISP actually owns their own fiber, they lease it from giant telecom companies, ie the phone companies.

Static and Dynamic IPs are really no big deal what so ever. There are dynamic dns softwares and services you can run to keep track of your IP when it changes, and you can also use these same services to link it to your registered domain if need be.

Cleric7x9

i mentioned that most companies lease elsewhere in the post btw. and you are right, dynamic IPs arent a big deal if you have a domain name. but i know that when i started getting into webhosting with small FTP servers and things i never bougth a domain name, and instead gave ppl the IP address of the machine and i have a cable connection that changes IPs every other week or so. it can be a pain in the ass. having a static IP makes life a lot easier. and what do you mean by verizon blocking port 80? if port 80 was blocked then you wouldnt be able to facilitate any http tcp/ip connections on commodity internet...im not really sure what you mean by blocking port 80

tlarkin

VIP Member
i mentioned that most companies lease elsewhere in the post btw. and you are right, dynamic IPs arent a big deal if you have a domain name. but i know that when i started getting into webhosting with small FTP servers and things i never bougth a domain name, and instead gave ppl the IP address of the machine and i have a cable connection that changes IPs every other week or so. it can be a pain in the ass. having a static IP makes life a lot easier. and what do you mean by verizon blocking port 80? if port 80 was blocked then you wouldnt be able to facilitate any http tcp/ip connections on commodity internet...im not really sure what you mean by blocking port 80

When you set up and install a web server (be it IIS or Apache, or a flavor of apache like tomcat) you set the port for HTTP requests when they hit your IP/Domain. By default it is port 80, however your ISP has most likely blocked all incoming requests for port 80, thus you would have to change your webpage's port to 8080 or another alternative. This does not effect your browsing because they never filter out going connections. This is very common, they also block ports for email servers, and sometimes other services as well. They don't want you using the consumer level broadband service, they want you to pay for business class or premium if you are going to host things.

Also, having a dynamic IP is not that bad because there are free or nominal fee services like dynamic dns that give you a domain

www.dyndns.org

Cleric7x9

oh ok, you didnt specify on incoming requests. i wasnt aware that verizon did that. comcast (my cable ISP) definetly does not. when you said blocked port 80 i was wondering how any http requests were made and how anything got done. i guess it seems like a smart strategy for verizon to do that, but it seems kind of unfair. i would tell them that i pay for all ~60,000 ports or however many there are and i want to use them all!

tlarkin

VIP Member
according to google comcast does block port 80

http://www.otweb.com/blog/index.php?p=401&t=Comcast_blocking_incoming_port_80

http://www.webmaster-talk.com/web-hosting-forum/61644-comcast-blocking-port-80-a.html

Then again, it could be security on their end. Easy way to find out is set up a simple web server, toss it on DMZ on your router and see if you can access it from the outside world.

Firewalls and network security play into this, but blocking port 80 is a very common thing ISPs do these days.

Cleric7x9

i have an FTP running on port 80 (i dont use 21 bc 21 gets spammed a lot) and it works fine from elsewhere

tlarkin

VIP Member
well comcast is a large company and they probably have admins locally who set up things differently. I doubt it is uncommon that comcast in the south and comcast in the north part of the US allow/block different ports.

rbxslvr

this is the perfect place to tell my story...

anyway, I've said this twice already, but I'm sure most of you have not seen it yet... I'm only 14 years old.

My mom works for Anthem Life Insurance, but works from home. Since it is a big company, they sent her home with THEIR router that I have no admin access to (security reasons). It MUST be the first router off of the modem. I have to forward HTTP port 80 for Apache (windows version), Halo servers, and other stuff.

I really wanted to host my own ASP.Net 2.0 pages and sites from my home computer.

This makes me very sad.:(:(:(:(:(

tlarkin

VIP Member
you should look into other ways over asp.net. Most web developers I know are going away from asp.net and all moving away from cold fusion and crap like that.

PHP and MySQL are huge on the internet now. Toss that in with some of the fancy stuff, like flash, java, and css, etc and you have yourself a nice little web site. Though flash and java may not be around for long I know a lot of devs who are sick and tired of the crap they have to go through.

I personally hate all microsoft web based things, especially active X