biggest noob mistakes

AMD_#1!

another mistake is trying passive submersion cooling with distilled water :D I used a old K-6 so no big loss. the computer still run till today but not for long because some of the soder is starting to get corroded.

underwater9nr.jpg

Geoff

VIP Member
Hairy_Lee said:
it should if everything is clean and the water is distilled
theoretically, but the computer parts and tub are covered with minerals, dust, and dirt.

lee101

VIP Member
something i have done recently is try to connect my frinds sisters laptop to their new wifi network, nothing was working, so i ended up ringing the BT broadband hepline, was aon there for about half an hour telling me to change all the channels, then eventually the person on the phone saidshe would have to go to see if there were ny other things that could be causing the problem, in the mean time i saw this button on the laptop that looked like it had the wifi logo, i pressed it an voila, wireless network was detected, when she came back i felt too embarrased to say i never turned it on, so said it just worked, and she sounded kind of puzzled

Also at school we were designing websites, and basically no one knew what they were doing, so they took advice form our teacher (bad bad mistake) he forced them to use frames, and here is the reason:
Frames are the proper method of designing websites, all major websites use them, they are the best way to do it and make the website look a lot better
i just said nothing to him and left him with a 30-person long queue of people who were stuck when they deleted some pages from the frameset :D

Lee :D

AMD_#1!

Hairy_Lee said:
it should if everything is clean and the water is distilled
I cleaned the mobo in the slop sink first :D it was a smokers computer before so air just wont clean the dust off

Last edited:

Sacrinyellow5

In college people would leave their computers wide open for sharing on the dorms network. Luckily I had enough common sense at that time to avoid disaster. My computer was junk anyways, so I guess it really wouldn't have mattered. Havoc was caused....

stalex111

At the beggining of my computer liking phase...was trying to put a network card into a PCI-E slot. I was trying for about half an hour...Embarrassing!

Last edited:

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
trying to hack into the computer at school
thats not a n00b thing to do, its very easy and fun and you should be proud if you did it.... lol

another one from me, took my CPU heatsink/fan off and put it on my nice new laminate flooring, forgot tabout the thermal paste on the underside, i now have a 1" square stain on the floor, right in the middle of the room, lol

lee101

VIP Member
dragon2309 said:
thats not a n00b thing to do, its very easy and fun and you should be proud if you did it.... lol
hehe, i've managed to get into my school's webserver, it is on the network and totally unprotected, you just double click on it, then htdocs and, voila, you're in, with full read/write permissions, but for now i just took the password from the mysql database :p

i suppose the noobish thing i did was do that when the teacher was standing right behind me though, he didn't have a clue what i was doing though

palmmann

banned
lee101 said:
hehe, i've managed to get into my school's webserver, it is on the network and totally unprotected, you just double click on it, then htdocs and, voila, you're in, with full read/write permissions, but for now i just took the password from the mysql database :p

i suppose the noobish thing i did was do that when the teacher was standing right behind me though, he didn't have a clue what i was doing though

i can rename any drives i want to "aye, cap'n" and noone will notice. i have only done it once, though :D never really went past that.

helmie

Changing the little red switch on the back of my PSU from 240v to 110v, Nice BZZZZZZZZZZZT.

Next one was trying to replace the fuse inside it, que smoke machine style, fun :D

Motoxrdude

Hacking into the schools file server, and renaming the main HDD. None of the teachers could find any of there files, halarious! The server was shut down for two days, and i get 6 weeks of wedsday detention....:)

palmmann

banned
Motoxrdude said:
Hacking into the schools file server, and renaming the main HDD. None of the teachers could find any of there files, halarious! The server was shut down for two days, and i get 6 weeks of wedsday detention....:)
SERIUSLY?!?!?!?!?!?! i should do that on someone else's account... how did they catch you?