Brutally Honest Critiques

Justin

VIP Member
noob to film and the 35mm format.

5393099016_09b975baa6_b.jpg

Punk

Staff member
I like the colors!

I don't really know what to look at, it's just a tree, in front of Czech flag? If there was only that tree, maybe it woould have worked but the branches on the left and right kinda ruined the picture in my opinion.

Good try nonetheless!

Punk

Staff member
The picture itself is well done, we have the moving impression :). But I don't see any use of it except for a commercial, maybe because there is nothing really catching my eyes... If I want to be picky, I'd say the sky is a little overexposed :p (on the left)

Justin

VIP Member
. But I don't see any use of it

for fun :p:D i wanted to take this photo with my nikon f60 and 19-35 since it's ultra wide angle. i tried it before with my canon 1000d and 18-55 and the crop factor ruined the photo imo. :p i used iso 100 film and left it in aperture priority mode at f/8 so i guess the camera properly exposed the dashboard. :p

Punk

Staff member
I'm bringing this thread back to earth. I'm quoting the first page so you guys know what this is about:

Hey all,
I thought this would be a fair idea for a thread. I've seen it else where so I thought it would be nice to bring it over here.
In the past we've had users ask for critique on a photo only to get very generic responses. Obviously that isn't going to help them learn from their "mistakes" or improve upon their technique. If we'd be honest everyone of us has room to grow and in turn if we listen to the feedback given, have the chance to become a more knowledgeable photographer.

In a nut shell this thread will be about giving honest reviews of photos posted. Try to base the critique more on knows "truths" rather then personal opinion, however don't be afraid to include that either. So consider: exposure, composition, photo technique (shutter speed, aperture, iso etc), and what ever else comes to mind.

I envision this thread working as a first come first serve basis. So if I posted up a photo, that photo would have to have some critique before the next photo can be posted. Please try to make the critique worth while and not a quick word or two. Also feel free to post up a edited or re-edited version of the photo your reviewing to show the user how you envision their shot.

Hope that makes sense.

Here is mine:

butinage_zps4141881a.jpg

spirit

Staff member
The wasp/bee on the flower is a little blurry and the flower itself seems a little too overexposed.

Very nice depth of field though! I know those shots are difficult to get by the way.

Life

banned
I took some new pictures.
This is the original un edited picture.
xdxhf9.jpg

give Jason a hand for helping with this edit:)
11vs9hl.jpg

Only added a little bit of contrast.
2nguc6w.jpg

100% natural.
14v3aep.jpg

What do you think?

Ramodkk

VIP Member
{AL}-Life-{CoS} please follow the thread rules.

vroom_skies said:
I envision this thread working as a first come first serve basis. So if I posted up a photo, that photo would have to have some critique before the next photo can be posted. Please try to make the critique worth while and not a quick word or two. Also feel free to post up a edited or re-edited version of the photo your reviewing to show the user how you envision their shot.

Life

banned
Rule of thirds bro. Don't center the subject; at least not in this case.

I am sorry, but could you explain, I'm not sure what you mean with not centering it, and which photo? Because the focus, is meant for the dog, so I would think he more center, the better?

Geoff

VIP Member
I am sorry, but could you explain, I'm not sure what you mean with not centering it, and which photo? Because the focus, is meant for the dog, so I would think he more center, the better?
You typically don't want to have the subject in the perfect center of the photo, just cropping it a bit gives the photo a whole new perspective.

11vs9hl_zps68e63cad.jpg

spirit

Staff member
Put the rule of thirds grid on your Fuji, that'll help you a lot. There's a button you can press (I forget which one now) and then you can select 'Best Framing'. That'll put a rule of thirds grid up for you.