Buying a new PC, need suggestions...

DarkNinja

So my old computer is having problems. I want to buy a good computer for streamed video, email, forums, typing papers, just the basic stuff. I just received this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103447

But i was told later on that it might not run youtube videos that well. I'm thinking about refunding it.

What's a good computer that will done the list of stuff i mentioned, without problems? A legit site that sells PCs would be good, atm someone recommended me BensBargains.com, but i don't know what's good. I guess around $450 or less is the amount i want to spend.

spirit

Staff member
Really I don't see why that Acer isn't enough for you. Usually streaming YouTube videos is to do with your internet connection, not your PC hardware. My brother has a PC much worse than that and it works fine with YouTube.

Have you actually tried watching YouTube on it yourself?

wolfeking

banned
whomever told you that can not run yourtube is a retard. I watch youtube regularly on my laptop and that computer is far faster, like double as fast.

DarkNinja

Really I don't see why that Acer isn't enough for you. Usually streaming YouTube videos is to do with your internet connection, not your PC hardware. My brother has a PC much worse than that and it works fine with YouTube.

Have you actually tried watching YouTube on it yourself?

Not yet. I'm worried that it might not run 1080p youtube videos (that's the right term used, right? the 1080p part), because someone said the NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE is around 7 years old. The reason i didn't try it is because if i open it, and return it to newegg, i think they charge a restocking fee.

spirit

Staff member
Yep! So long as your internet connection is good enough - and if it isn't, doesn't matter what PC you've got.

wolfeking

banned
It will run 1080p just fine I think. That is the 6000 series IGP, and should be able to handle just about anything streaming.

Try it and see if it will do it. If it does not, then you can just grab a Geforce 210 to power it and still be good.

DarkNinja

It will run 1080p just fine I think. That is the 6000 series IGP, and should be able to handle just about anything streaming.

Try it and see if it will do it. If it does not, then you can just grab a Geforce 210 to power it and still be good.

Just how easy would it be to install a GeForce 210 if i need one?

wolfeking

banned
open the side of the computer. Plug the card into the port. put the side of the computer back on. start computer and go to www.nvidia.com and download the drivers. Install the drivers and you are done. It can be done in under 5 minutes.

DarkNinja

open the side of the computer. Plug the card into the port. put the side of the computer back on. start computer and go to www.nvidia.com and download the drivers. Install the drivers and you are done. It can be done in under 5 minutes.

Sounds easy enough, but will the GeForce 210 have instructions on which slot the card goes into? Also, this might be a dumb question, but what else should i take care to do? For example, does the computer have to be off? lastly, the PC tower (that holds everything, i mean) is very small. will the Geforce 210 fit?

wolfeking

banned
computer has to be off. do not unplug it (that will cancel the grounded effect). Once it is open, touch one of the metal pieces of the case (this is to get rid of static electricity).

It will only fit the slot it is supposed to be in. It is the longest slot in the computer that is not a RAM slot.

DarkNinja

computer has to be off. do not unplug it (that will cancel the grounded effect). Once it is open, touch one of the metal pieces of the case (this is to get rid of static electricity).

It will only fit the slot it is supposed to be in. It is the longest slot in the computer that is not a RAM slot.

I'm being very nitpicky right now, but touching the outer case of the PC should be enough, right? When i say case, i mean the case that has everything inside(motherboard, ram, cpu, etc.)

wolfeking

banned
the motherboard is grounded through the standoffs and power cables. As long as you leave it plugged in, then the electricity will travel through the case and down the ground wires to the earth. It will not cause any damage at all.

DarkNinja

Alright. A few more questions. Because the PC i posted is a prebuilt, how long could it last if none of the parts are broken? And, the case for the PC is pretty small. would the Geforce 210 fit inside? Just taking precautions. Someone on the newegg feedback said that at least one of the PCs i saw, had cases so small that they couldn't fit the bigger graphics cardS (Something like that.)

wolfeking

banned
the 210 is one of the smallest cards made that are not laptop cards. It will fit in any case pretty much. You might have to get a low profile one though, which is not hard.

As for how long it will last. No one can tell you that. It depends on a lot of variables that you have no control over, as well as your usage habits and environment of use. Also matters if your power company supplies clean power or not.

spirit

Staff member
I don't even think you'll need to buy a graphics card. Just try it on what you've got now and see if it works. I've watched 1080p YouTube videos on machines far weaker than yours and not had a problem.