Call of Duty: Black Ops Thread

Machin3

Hey everyone. I have not seen an official Call of Duty: Black Ops Thread yet so I was thinking that we could post up upcoming news and information on this thread.

Untitled-1-4.jpg

In May 2009, publisher Activision was rumored to be looking for licensing regarding Vietnam War-era music which led to speculation that Call of Duty 7 would be set in Vietnam. Still in May 2009, Treyarch employee David Kim revealed on his LinkedIn profile that he will work as a senior animator on Call of Duty 7. In November 2009, only a few days before Modern Warfare 2's release, Activision officially announced a new Call of Duty title for 2010 through their third quarter financial call. In February 2010, a casting call for Call of Duty 7 led to speculation that the game would be taking place during the Cold War-era with some battles taking place in South Vietnam. On April 30, 2010, Call of Duty: Black Ops was officially announced.[

large.jpg

BLACK OPS GAME SERVER:

173.199.99.251 <---That's the Ip Address to join onto the server. Add it to favorites!

Last edited:

linkin

VIP Member
After seeing how greedy bobby kottick is, i won't be buying another call of duty game... he believes that xbox live fees should go to him if the people on xboxes play call of duty games...

what an arrogant prick huh? i cant find the article anywhere :(

awildgoose

hopefully itll be vaguely realistic, i kinda hate how cod games are now so arcadey :/

Probably not going to happen.
They say Vietnam/Cold-war era, but the dude is holding a M4....
Although, I would consider it if they release a demo (which they won't) and it is decent.
I really want a decent Vietnam era game, a decent one.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
So it not all that far away now...according to Wikipedia the release date is November 9 2010.

Just been watching this on Youtube and i must say it looks really good,loads of Multiplayer game types to choose from.

[YT]kg_8mPoloBo[/YT]

Whats your thoughts?...Anyone pre-ordering?

funkysnair

VIP Member
i will be pre-ordering but i dont feel very excited about it, i can see alot of mw2 in it and i thought that mw2 was complete fail (for me anyway) in which i gave the game away for free lol.

i will get the game try it out if its pants ill sell it...

russb

I pre-ordered when it was first published but looking at this vid i'm not sure as i want to get it now as funkysnair said (i can see alot of mw2 in it and i thought that mw2 was complete fail).This goes with the vid.

Who would have thought this? Scans of UK gaming magazine Shortlist have been posted on the internet today, revealing some revolutionary changes to the Call of Duty multiplayer formula. The most notable addition is currency: earned by playing multiplayer matches, you can use it to buy weapons, uniforms and accessories for your player. There are also several brand new gametypes which are unlike anything seen in Call of Duty before.

Customization

Customization will also play a huge part in the new Call of Duty. David Vonderhaar, lead multiplayer designer at Treyarch, told the magazine: “You can create a tag and etch it onto your weapons, so they’re stamped as yours. The option is also there to alter your sights and clip on attachtments such as flame-throwers.”

These attachments, sights and tags can be bought with in-game cash and will help to make your character ‘unique’. However, it seems likely that some elements of the traditional rank system from previous Call of Duty games will remain, given that players in the Multiplayer Teaser Trailer had ranks next to their names. It’s likely that we’ll find out more on this later tonight, at the Multiplayer Reveal Event.

‘Wager Match’

Another new addition is a Team Tactical gametype called ‘Wager Match’. When you choose to play Wager Match, you’ll be randomly placed in one of four modes: ‘One in the Chamber’, which sees players given one bullet to kill other players: miss, and they’re forced to use the knife, ‘Sharpshooter’, which sees players given a random weapon, ‘Sticks and Stones’, which involves the crossbow, ballistic knife and Tomahawk, and ‘Gun Game’ (formerly a mod for Call of Duty 4), which sees players vying to get kills with 20 different weapons: knife someone, and they move down a level.

“You gamble with your own currency, and the fear of loss is so incredibly great that it intensifies the action.” – David Vonderhaar

Team Deathmatch, the popular and ever-present gametype which pits teams of 6 against each other, will return in Black Ops. However, points for headshots and other bonuses will apparently add to the team score, encouraging players to be as accurate as possible.

Three maps were confirmed in the magazine extract: Launch and Summit have already been seen in the Multiplayer Teaser Trailer, but Radiation, set in a power station, is brand new. It was also confirmed that the rocket seen on the map Launch will indeed lift off during gameplay and 'fry anyone underneath it'.

We're sure to find out more tonight and hear confirmation of the features above. It definitely looks like Treyarch have not been content to produce a re-badged version of Modern Warfare 2, and it'll be interesting to hear the full extent of how these new features play out.

Last edited:

russb

More news on CoD Black Ops.

Feeding us the information, straight from the event was planetcallofduty.com’s Josh Peckler. Josh hob-nobbed with PC lead, Cesar Stastny (pcdev) and gained first-hand information.

To help us carve up that info, is New Zealand’s great shoutcaster and competitive PC caster from on3network.co.nz: Craig, aka Arseynimz.

What did we learn? Dedicated servers, sure. But you will only get them from Gameservers.com. Also, there will not be any public server files. Public files would allow you to run the game from your own server, you will have to rent them from Gameservers exclusively it seems. But ranked or unranked servers will be available from this (trusted GSP) provider. In other words, you as the admin will have access to your server and you will be able to configure the server or mod it.

The game will be distributed exclusively through Steam and that means VAC - not Punk Buster. VAC does not have the same anti-cheat savvy that PB has, so we will need to monitor the resilience of VAC to counter the hackers out there.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree it looks like MW2,infact i bet they could have just released the new gameplay types/maps for MW2 as DLC but instead they have made it a new game (More $$$).

What im not liking about the gameplay showed so far is the rocket launcher killing,thats going to get so abused just like N00b ube is in MW2.

Aastii

VIP Member
Wager matches aka gambling - done before for hundreds of years.

pistol + knife only games - done before

gun game - done before

random weapons - done before

explosive only games -done before

I know CoD went had had a few ok games, then CoD4 came out and people were like holy crap this is awesome! because they didn't do a whole lot of things that were new, but it was very refined and fun, but now people are used to it. CoD:WaW rode off the success of CoD4 and got mixed reactions, I thought it was great fun, but others thought it was an awful game. MW2, rode off the sccuess of CoD4 and was a catastrophic failure, now only played by the 1337 mic spammers that like to think they are pro.

So, says someone in an Activision/Treyarch board meeting, what can we do to make it so our next game doesn't just walk in the shadow of CoD4 and dissapoint the masses? Erm, how about we add a load of game modes, that if we had dedicated servers in our previous games (;))and looked at the custom content people brought out in nearly every fps for the last 10 years would have realised already existed, but it will be new to all of the console players that see a game title, not regarding the fact it is another identical sequal, and lose the tiny shread of their own thought that they occasoinally demonstrate in the real world to think it will straight away be a great game because it is the same as the ones before, but with "great "new" content"?

That...Is...BRILLIANT!!!

russb

I just read an article saying that the game will dedicated servers, but those servers will only be provided by gameservers.com - which are apparrently complete shit.

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/new...h-cod-black-ops-but-theree28099s-a-catch.aspx

What is the point of people putting a post on here when you dont read it.

Feeding us the information, straight from the event was planetcallofduty.com’s Josh Peckler. Josh hob-nobbed with PC lead, Cesar Stastny (pcdev) and gained first-hand information.

To help us carve up that info, is New Zealand’s great shoutcaster and competitive PC caster from on3network.co.nz: Craig, aka Arseynimz.

What did we learn? Dedicated servers, sure. But you will only get them from Gameservers.com. Also, there will not be any public server files. Public files would allow you to run the game from your own server, you will have to rent them from Gameservers exclusively it seems. But ranked or unranked servers will be available from this (trusted GSP) provider. In other words, you as the admin will have access to your server and you will be able to configure the server or mod it.

The game will be distributed exclusively through Steam and that means VAC - not Punk Buster. VAC does not have the same anti-cheat savvy that PB has, so we will need to monitor the resilience of VAC to counter the hackers out there.

Aastii

VIP Member
I just read an article saying that the game will dedicated servers, but those servers will only be provided by gameservers.com - which are apparrently complete shit.

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/new...h-cod-black-ops-but-theree28099s-a-catch.aspx

What is the point of people putting a post on here when you dont read it.

They can try to make it so only 1 provider can give dedi servers, but it won't work. In the same way that the game will be pirated when it comes out, someone will upload the server config files needed, then anyone with their own dedicated server can upload them to it and run a black ops server. It is completely flawed.

The good thing from that though is that we *shouldn't* be paying for DLC on PC, as it will be easily obtainable through the servers because of mods. Make it so it is a mod and everyone that joins will have to download the content first before they can play.

Still such a terrible system though. And btw, bare in mind it isn't out, there are already cheats, in the same way MW2, MoH and BC2 had them before they were out too. Always insiders from the devs and anti cheat companies :rolleyes:

Last edited:

russb

What Aastii are you telling me that there are cheats and hackers in MW2 and
we might if we are lucky get them in Black Ops well that settles it i will do what i done with MW2 cancel my order.No jokes apart when i read about that
crap no PB,pay for servers and only get it thru steam i phoned and canceled my order with Amazon.Getting screwed again.

Aastii

VIP Member
What Aastii are you telling me that there are cheats and hackers in MW2 and
we might if we are lucky get them in Black Ops well that settles it i will do what i done with MW2 cancel my order.No jokes apart when i read about that
crap no PB,pay for servers and only get it thru steam i phoned and canceled my order with Amazon.Getting screwed again.

There will always be cheats.

I mean if you know people and you know where to look, you will know when they are first out. There are already undetectable cheats for MoH, even though it isn't released, before the release of MW2 and BC2, there were hacks out. There are already hacks out for black ops, even though there isn't even a demo or official beta or anything like that yet. It won't be as bad because of dedi servers, so admin, but yea there will be cheaters the very first day it is out